A Lengthy Insanity

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulu

Stinky Old Fish
Pro Member
Reaction score
I am in.
055E1DEF-492F-4B7A-88D4-E073E862E33F.jpeg

Most of you have already seen my sketch. I haven’t shown the first one yet. Or the second one.

I’m probably gonna start with this headset and cut everything else off.
F60C101E-6B88-4DC7-AB82-63330D03D695.jpeg

It’s factory welded but I’m gonna radius everything out with brass.

More to come.

Wild looking sketch ! This will be fun to watch.

RaT oN @Ulu !

I don't have any local small chrome shops in my area any more. I believe that environmental concerns closed them all. All that is left are huge chrome factory places that will not do small parts runs. I live in Sacramento. I haven't looked in a while for a chrome shop so someone may have figured out how to do small jobs and make money. Good luck finding a chromer to work with.

In the clear light of day, I see I put the left handlebar on the right. The bars will be right in my chest.
I see tons of room for improvement.

The skirtguard fender would have expanded metal screen in the windows, in a second color.

So I turned my imagination around and thought about a boy’s bike. Hopefully without too much fork flop.

Ideally it would not have any, but of course we live in a sub-optimal universe when it comes to calculations. You can’t count on too much once Things get fuzzy.

Like what happens if I have a flat tire? I don’t want to crash…

9227277C-41B2-4348-B05D-FBDD4EB50CDF.jpeg

I’m having two problems right now. One is too many ideas and the other one is not enough time. I really want to do the modified earles fork, and I came up with a plan but it might be time prohibitive.

I only have so much time before my lovely wife will come out here and say, “Hey! So when are you gonna get this motorcycle back together and ride it?”

My only way around this is to spend extra time doing maintenance on her bike that she has neglected. Otherwise she wouldn’t be able to go riding with me now, which is half of why I bought a bicycle in the first place.

She needs the therapy for her right knee.
It’s much different for me. (It’s my left knee, and mine was just wrenched and not broken.)

Last edited:
I lime your ideas, and sympathize with the lack of time/other commitments.
It does look a little short seat-to-handlebars. Seems like you’d be sitting right atop the rear wheel? Maybe just perspective & scale, or I’m not seeing the idea fully. Will be watching with interest.

No, it's not right yet. ;) still too short and too tall.

The seat pan will be the fender itself.
The fender is welded into the frame.
It will have hidden structure to replace the seatpost.

Sissy bar is too steep . . . seat too forward . . .needs a hump or some reverse rake . . . something.

I lime your ideas, and sympathize with the lack of time/other commitments.
It does look a little short seat-to-handlebars. Seems like you’d be sitting right atop the rear wheel? Maybe just perspective & scale, or I’m not seeing the idea fully. Will be watching with interest.

I really lime his ideas too… in fact I lone them.

:nod:

Well I rearranged all the tubing completely.
8EE9572C-F855-4441-8A93-2E67841FA16B.jpeg

I put a little bump under the seat kinda like a Vespa motor scooter. It’s part of the fender structure.

I have firmed up some dimensions now. I have 4 inches of pedal clearance and we have 5 feet of wheelbase.

The handlebars are 4 foot six above the ground but adjustable at this point.

26 inch fat tire in the back, 20 inch standard rib tire in the front.

Leg length is about 39 and reach will be approximately 32 for someone with my build.

When I am seated the handlebars will be about shoulder height. It depends on how much I build up the seat. Right now I’m showing a pretty flat seat. Really like a gel seat right on flat sheet metal.

I haven’t worked out the trail or the triple tree arrangement.

I still haven’t come up with a good idea for the Earl’s fork that I like. Here I just have a telescopic with springs at the bottom. It doesn’t show up because it’s all black right now.

It's getting there. Now can you lay on the floor and have someone take the photo so we can see the ergos? haha

Latest posts

Back