A Long Tale - Final Build Update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Job !!:thumbsup:

is there a reason why the rack is not lower over the wheel ?
to have deeper panier on the sides maybe ?:39:

There is no particular reason why the rack is not lower OHP...:doh:
As I recall, I'm pretty sure I just held up a straight edge of a sort till it 'looked' good to my eye. There were no plans, but I did place rack taller to allow for a 24" tire in there as well, not having to commit to a 20" tire.
....and, the cage like tubing around the rear wheel should hold the pannier out...plan for two or three each side, not too big. 18 x 12" .and they'll be hanging down about 4 -5 cm. on straps....
Here;s a pic I found that fired my original inspiration....

27245400144_0f5318d801_b.jpg

And then, a re'working sketch I did of it it Paint shop Pro (poor mans Photoshop)

27756104162_68d8fedbd9_b.jpg

I like those bars, they look good but it gets tiring holding you hands up there "like this".....know what I mean. That's why the straight Mtn. Bike bar is feeling good on this one...they give me a nice lean in and a good strong grip, not a 'lazy pinch grip....')

27825784066_b91be5ba3f_b.jpg

thanks
franco

Last edited:
So, i have been on this site intermittently over the past 10 days (on vacation of a lifetime in Norway with my young adult sons).
Your long bike is cool! Looks very Euro to me, like something I would see being pedaled around the streets of Bergen.
My thoughts.... add some wood to the rack, keep the 20 in the rear, flat bars are slick and have the best steering control/fulcrum point, maybe use the frame color on the rims or go black.... fun bike!

wow, enjoy Norway...thanks for the tips OJob
I think I will keep the 20 on the back, I was tempted to go up to 24 but, I'll get a whitewall 20, I concur.
wood is going on back
the old 26x2.15 front tire will stay , and it's on a black rim...I was going to go dark walnut brown, or keep it black, (I have a lot of black paint around . lol)...I'll match the rear rim that way too.
Oh it's a fun bike, I will say that
but , the last two or three days I got...(.ahem) :43:. " distracted" and I cut up a little BMX that I already modded once, but reconfiguring it again...sheeesh.this bike sickness..I swear, it's something I can't control

Now that's a chain.
I cobbled a couple of lengths of chain together, and left a little slack, knowing I would need a tensioner of some sort.
Wanting to ride this thing already, I just reached in one of my parts drawers in the 'parts dresser' back there, and hauled out an old dérailleur, any old one.

27618826682_d0662f7a65_o.png

It does a fine job of keeping the tension, and the lineup is as good as it gets from front to rear, it tracks just fine, I've ridden it all over the place, and it doesn't skip...OR fall off.

Of course, the problem is there is only the coaster hub brake on this bike (so far), and since the dérailleur's on a spring action, when I back peddle to brake, it 'collapses" the chain.
So, I suppose I'll fabricate a bracket of sorts with some adjustment holes to keep dérailleur in place.
Any other ideas are more than welcome here.
I probably will add a front handbrake, one I kept from the original bike as well.

27874407566_bd8df747fc_o.jpg

luckily, I flipped a Micargi Beach Cruiser that I brought up to snuff today on CL...so that means I can afford another spool of welding wire. yaaaay.
:happy:

Next..I better get going on the back wood rack.

Franco

how about ''fix/non spring loaded'' tentioner that takes advantage of your super long chainstays? hanging on the chain stay , that you can slide closer to the chainring to add tention ?
LTCBT_zpssubyl5j9.png

Last edited:
If its not broken, Customize it ! " I love that line...lol

I was looking at picture search for other ideas and saw some contraptions like that, but your diagram here is much clearer, plus I can see already, Better chain wrap , that's crucial on these long unwieldy chains.
some of the DIY solutions were just hideous and bulky
thank you OHP.
:thumbsup:
Nice and clean, I'm likin' it...looks easy to fabricate...which I should do because I have drawer full of little parts and rollers and such

If its not broken, Customize it ! " I love that line...lol

I was looking at picture search for other ideas and saw some contraptions like that, but your diagram here is much clearer, plus I can see already, Better chain wrap , that's crucial on these long unwieldy chains.
some of the DIY solutions were just hideous and bulky
thank you OHP.
:thumbsup:
Nice and clean, I'm likin' it...looks easy to fabricate...which I should do because I have drawer full of little parts and rollers and such

my pleasure :)
Make sure to make it super strong , afterall , its where the braking powere is applyed :wink1:

OK...where we at?
Back Deck...check.
Spent hours the other day making a furniture like deck, maple, inlay...curvy...it didn't fit with the bike. ....at all
No Prob...got a nice little shelf for the house now. ;)
When I first started building this long bike, I thought "Hey, it's going to look kindof new"
As it takes shape, it actually looks kind of old
So..keeping with the simple theme...went out back to my saved pallet wood pile...boom...simple deck 2 coats spar varnish.

27357111303_943b8d2fc5_o.png

Let's put it in place temporarily...stand back , how's it look? Looks good. Let's move on.
27936319916_f94793e099_o.png

Time to take some stuff off the bike again, get rid of the chain... flip it around, back and forth and start touching up all of those 'nicks' and scrapes that occurred while I was building this thing. Handlebars need some paint, little truss rod setup needs clear and some brass top caps...etc.

27357821384_ec1679c8b0_o.jpg

27357105343_be6f70438d_o.png

OK...where we at?
Back Deck...check.
27357111303_943b8d2fc5_o.png

Let's put it in place temporarily...stand back , how's it look? Looks good. Let's move on.
Confirmed , look pretty darn good ! nice rear stand too :)

Wait...I need a little whitewall for the back . Picked up two little BMX 20" bikes on my morning ride, they're strapped to the back of the car...no whitewalls...That's ok, I'll just fix and flip those...
I like the fat little blackwall that's on the back now.
There we go...now it's a whitewall. ;)

27936316766_a654134570_o.png

Next. Put it back together find some matching (or mostly matching) panniers to hang, put on front light, probably add a front handbrake.and call it a day..oh, and try to find a fountain to take some photos. lol ..
Uh oh..no fountains here...haven't seen any decent ones since I moved from Charleston.
Gotta get a move on, probably going up to Pa. for most of July, promised dear old Mom I'd paint the old homestead up there.
More later.
Franco

Wondering about a 'double-legged' stand for better balance and secure loading and unloading? I ended up buying one of these (they are not cheap!) for Beer Boy Delivery to give it that support. Or with your welding skills you might be able to build one that would be placed in the best spot to get the rear wheel off the ground and support the bike + load ....
maxresdefault (1).jpg

...and the folded up postition....
510Y3IyY8FL._SL1200_.jpg

Wondering about a 'double-legged' stand for better balance and secure loading and unloading? I ended up buying one of these (they are not cheap!) for Beer Boy Delivery to give it that support. Or with your welding skills you might be able to build one that would be placed in the best spot to get the rear wheel off the ground and support the bike + load ....
View attachment 27755

View attachment 27756

Where did you find that?!?! Cool!!!

View attachment 27755

View attachment 27756

welding skills eh? why thank you...loooong way to go before I become a skillful welder...:bandit:.
but, I so dislike working with Bondo..on bikes anyway..I cover welds with thickened epoxy....either that, or just painting over so-so welds is my way to go for now.

I looked at those posts Odd Job...and thought about either getting/ making one...but guess what...the 'integrated' kickstand that was on this bike, plus I have a little carry along kick-crutch for the back...it stands up fine in the strongest Florida coastal winds.
Of course, IF it's ever loaded up with stuff, the balance will be a factor, and that stand may indeed be the answer

thanks for sending that along
:)
Franco

Where did you find that?!?! Cool!!!
Brett, they are available on the internet through a variety of places (and prices). I got mine from my LBS where I used to work. Most bike shops around the country have a vendor called J & B Importers. They carry all kinds of bike parts, and a good number of our more 'retro' stuff. You can view all the stuff they have online at:
http://www.jbi.bike/web/
Then just take that part number to you local LBS and have them order it up!

Cool build. As someone that has written stories and articles for magazines, I can say you have a great way of telling your story. Kept me laughing and reading. Can't wait for more! :113:

Thanks Bike Bum.
It's a choice, how to post on this site...
when I'm just admiring other builds, I usually respond with the thumbs up and stuff like..ahh..uhhhh.ggaaa goooo. :doh:
then, when telling a 'story' of a build, I try to think....Now how can this be 'helpful', even in a small way, one photo that may stand out, one piece of info to someone else....(and I imagine there's a lot of 'someone elses') who have building a Long Bike on their bucket list.

;)

f.

Working right along here
I popped out this floodlight from the housing

27148186093_d1b4e11412_c.jpg

Going to put an LED in there, as suggested, wired to a little toggle that I salvage from the orig. case.
The back of the light was like this two lug, (Not the lamp I'm using, I was working sans camera today...but here's similar I found on net)
19025md.jpg

OK...so I hacked off the connectors and that little glass tip, got a glass bit and started to drill, you know, to mount the 'light' part of the LED....and the back reflector broke in two nice...reglueable sections. that's cool, still going to work fine....but it's not as pretty anymore.
:doh:
So, sage ones, how do you get a hole in the back of these things...If you look at it funny it cracks. ???
In retrospect I probably should have put the hole 'anywhere" instead of weakening the back like I did. I only have to glue on the little round tip of the LED flashlight, and run wires to switch and battery pack, all of which will fit into housing
Time to share...I've been sharing, now it's your turn...lol

franco

Latest posts

Back