BO15 a short "Sketchy" ride video.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did I work on my build today? No...
But I did this!
View attachment 128809
I'm gonna call it "Sketchy" because there's a bit of play in the steering right now and I ran out of wire for my welder and it's only pinned together. So I gotta get some wire and a turnbuckle for it but woohoo I went for a short and scary ride today just to see if I could.

GC.
Check the trail to make sure it's between 2" and 4". Looks like it's around 6"+.

But I did this!
View attachment 128809
I'm gonna call it "Sketchy" because there's a bit of play in the steering right now and I ran out of wire for my welder and it's only pinned together. So I gotta get some wire and a turnbuckle for it but woohoo I went for a short and scary ride today just to see if I could.

GC.

That is crazy cool!!!! Sorta like a cross between a rear steer Colson and a Donkey bike. I love it!!!

Check the trail to make sure it's between 2" and 4". Looks like it's around 6"+.
Bah. I'm not so worried about trail. I've a few chopper styled rides and they've all got varying degrees of trail. I'm used to the "elbowey" feel of that. It does make for a bike that's fun to see newbs try to ride. :21:

GC. :crazy:

But I did this!
View attachment 128809

GC.
Bah. I'm not so worried about trail. I've a few chopper styled rides and they've all got varying degrees of trail. I'm used to the "elbowey" feel of that. It does make for a bike that's fun to see newbs try to ride. :21:

GC. :crazy:
Okay. I just figured with that kind of bike, you want everything else just right (if there is such a thing). I've built enough choppers to know about trail also. You can't really let your guard down when riding. Especially with that seat-of-your-pants steering! LOL! I want to do a set of tall side ape hangers on one of those bikes!

Last edited:
I'm still working on the exact placement of those bars too.
The set on there now are too narrow. (it might be my big butt...)
I may end up stretching a set of bars too, we'll see.
I've still got to get some tubing for The Neutron Bombito too.

Carl.

Actually, I'm going to pull the frame swap card and continue working on "Sketchy"

IMG_20200719_170654.jpg

Took it around the block a few times yesterday and with these bars, the different seat and the addition of a turnbuckle it actually steers pretty nice. That seat post is a long piece of thick wall tubing I had, beat down into the frame pretty far. and I can't quite touch the ground with my feet sitting on it so it'll probably lose an inch or two. But right now finishing the welding is more important...

GC.

Last edited:
Feeling this Sketchy build is going to get out of hand real quick... How about a nice Muscle Bike fade paint job? Silver Speedboat glitter into Jet black... and stretching the rear dropouts? Maybe not cargo bike length but then again...

GC.

Also, I am going to rebuild Little Neutrino into the Neutron Bombito just not in a Build Off...

I think this is a good switch. It never really felt like you were "engaged" with the Neutron project. We weren't seeing the true Carl process. Sketchy is Carl.

Any concerns about stuff getting tangled in the steering chain? Shorts, etc? And if you reaallly wanna sketch it up (nearly impossible to ride), throw an extra sprocket in there to reverse the steering

Edit: clarification, Carl's work is not sketchy whatsoever. But truly mind blowing builds are. He changed the way I look at bicycles. I bet he's getting tired of me posting this pic.
536b8d5f506aa9cb9856f1655b843fad.jpg

The sublime AlienFire

Ha! I never tire of fanfare. ALiEN FiRE is a fun bike it rides so nice (when it's put together) right now it's in a state of disarray. That pic you posted is the last rebuild, no plasma light, no banana and mismatched wheels. I've nicked a few pieces from it a couple times. The apes are on Muscle Spasm right now so I do need to order another set. It really just needs an afternoon of attention and a decent wheelset. It's probably time...

GC.

Sketchy is about as done as it'll get for now. Possibly some paint. I took it out for a ride today. There's a learning curve for sure but it comes around. I lowered the seat so I can put my feet down when I stop and that made a big difference. The added bar ends help too.
IMG_20200816_161935_709.jpg
IMG_20200816_161935_708.jpg

GC.

Last edited:
I wish we could have seen more of this bike coming together because it is so interesting. Love it.

Agreed. The bike is radical, nothing like it in the Build Off. But it kinda came out of nowhere. Regardless, I really would like to see a ride video if at all possible.

I wish we could have seen more of this bike coming together because it is so interesting. Love it.
I built it pretty quickly, inspired by Pontiac by @irzouts and the Balloon Donkey by @deven_science I found the Flightliner rear half as it was and nicked the rack and fender for my class 1 build. I cleaned a shed for a friend and as soon as I found the little Trek with 12" wheels I knew what I was going to build. The rake on the head tube and the longer fork from a 27" tourer is what really makes this ride sketchy. The chain steeribg is the third I've built so not much there new for me, I just had to make sure the Schwinn headtube was parallel with the Trek headtube. That's the big secret to chain steering is parallel tubes. Thanks for the interest. We'll see about better pics if I get to painting it...

GC.

Latest posts

Back