A Zombie Reborn - the build thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CRISIS AVERTED…

Thinwall seat tube removed, main tubes still in alignment.
9DE92DC7-1DFD-4BF8-8384-8084DC25F881.jpeg

B3894524-7BEF-4AEF-985A-CE94925246AD.jpeg

Turns out this extra piece of 1-1/8” x 0.059 frame tube fits a 25.4mm seat pin quite nicely!
9F7956B9-2CEF-4DDC-AF06-AAFDD3C9B48B.jpeg

More cleanup and fitting to go, then tack and weld. Hopefully less chance of blow through with the thicker seat tube.

Glad you found the error in those angles in time to correct.
I like the lines of this build so far.

Cleaned up the frame tubes & cut the fish mouths back from the previous weld spot, then shaped the new seat tube to fit the bottom bracket.

Too hot to continue today, but progress is progress. Seat tube is just sitting there in the photo, welding tomorrow.
35950BCD-30A2-49CC-A4C4-E966987CECA3.jpeg

Never one to shy from my mistakes or difficulties:

I was set to fully weld the stays, but my welder would only output 15 amps. I need 45-65 and it should be capable of 120.

The baffling thing is it worked fine before lunch.

Culprits to consider: Internal failure. Pedal controller failure. Bad connection somewhere. Weird house power glitch. Malicious gremlins.

Taking some time in the AC for these posts, cooling down, and thinking.

It’s an Everlast 160. Several years old. They don’t have the exact model anymore (mine still has rotary knobs instead of all buttons!)

One of their pedals, probably the economy given my economy when I bought it.

It’s an Everlast 160. Several years old. They don’t have the exact model anymore (mine still has rotary knobs instead of all buttons!)

One of their pedals, probably the economy given my economy when I bought it.
Variable pedal or on/off?

I had a similar problem with my old one and it was the pedal. Wound up replacing the pot and the drive gear for that switch

Variable. That is my leading suspect, too. I’ll give it some time and recheck connections etc. Can also try lift start, though I don’t have any real experience with it. Maybe on scrap just to check output. …

Upon further examination, the pedal functions *mechanically* correctly. All connections solid. If it is the pedal, it is likely a potentiometer failure. (though where to buy electrical components these days? oh, and I have no skill in such matters.)

Also, I cannot get an arc nor any reaction in Lift Start mode. So, that might point to the unit, but it will do a steady 15 amps with the pedal.
ECDEEAD0-9A52-48D1-B431-A451DC6BF9E1.jpeg

anywho… new pedal on the way, other bits on the way, inquiry started with Everlast, some research done, more on the way, etc, etc, etc.

A bummer that I have this time off and hit a roadblock, costing precious time. I can put the bike together quickly once the frame is welded & painted, but my August schedule is looking tight so I wanted to knock it out this week and next.

Carry on…

Did you test the juice into and out of that pot? Just spitballing

The lift start has me puzzled

No. As weird as it may seem, electrical stuff for me -does not compute-.

I can fly a jet airplane all day, but the volt meter baffles me.

I can weld just fine, but cannot solder to save my life. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The lift start has me puzzled as well. I never before tried it, but I don’t understand why i get nuttin’.

Tomorrow is a new day. Will approach with a fresh mind and patience and serenity. 😇

Well, despite my self-deprecation about the multi meter…

In consultation with tech support at Everlast I followed their test for the pedal and confirmed the high side of the pot is bad.

Should receive the new pedal early to mid next week, tracking not yet showing. I have a few small things I can work on in the meantime, and continue to gather bits and bobs. Maybe some doo-dads to boot!

Well, despite my self-deprecation about the multi meter…

In consultation with tech support at Everlast I followed their test for the pedal and confirmed the high side of the pot is bad.

Should receive the new pedal early to mid next week, tracking not yet showing. I have a few small things I can work on in the meantime, and continue to gather bits and bobs. Maybe some doo-dads to boot!
Glad it's an easy fix. Seems to be pretty common

Latest posts

Back