Addison Speed Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trying to find time to strip and prime the wheels. :? im itching to get them together. thats all thats really keeping me from getting the bike done.

stripped and primed the wheels today. didnt post pics cuz my brother ran off with it, and i figured watching primer dry isnt thats stunning. ill post pics when i paint them ivory gloss. 8) cant wait to build the wheels!! my first time! :D question: is it possible to build the rear wheel with the cog still on? i ask this because theres a notch in the cog, and i was wondering if thats to build the wheel without taking the cog off. it is a skiptooth bike, and every skiptooth cog ive seen has the notch.

no, im doing a full rebuild, so you think its stil possible? i tried it and it was tight.

thats what i was thinking. i already assembled it, but its not THAT hard to do it. im hoping to get the wheels together within the next week, so i have time to put together the finishing touches, while riding it, like a true rat. 8) the stripping wheel i got for my birthday works awesome! so taking the rims down to bare metal was easy-er.

Since it's a plate clutch type, you don't really need to anything w/the brake side but slide it out and slide it back in as a unit. Just keep the sprocket side facing up, take off the cone, unscrew the bendix, leave everything on the axle.:wink:

i got the rear wheel together! i got the rear rim painted before the front, so i took it up to the bike shop and had eric show me how to lace it. it was actually easier than i thought. so i took it home, tuned the hub, and tossed on the original rim strip and the NOS tire, put it on the bike, and threw the chain on. i just feel great about the bike now. im going to go work on the front now. :mrgreen:
DSCN6048.jpg

DSCN6051.jpg

should i add pinstripes to the wheels, like stock, or leave it as is for a cleaner look?

I don't know if you're experienced at striping, you could try some stick-on from the auto parts world to see if you like it, and/or practice on a spare wheel. Personally, I don't care much for them on squarish rims like yours. :|

i think they'll stay stripe-less, they look nice and clean, and i dont like the strip tape stuff. i would buy brushes and 1-shot to do it

its a davis deluxe. it is pretty sweet. i have a skinnier one for the front, so its gonna look even better.

thanks man! the color combo was actually an accident. i stripped and primed the frame, then painted it this color, thinking it'd be more of a red oxide primer paint, but i like the turnout! its my first orange bike. :roll: i also didnt get to put the seat i wanted on it. the one i have for it needed too much work to get done, so i tossed this one on instead.

Latest posts

Back