advice on 20" trike tires?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
worksman port o trike (2000s model), used for just slow cruising on flat paved roads with zero traffic to worry about.
While replacing the tubes I noticed the bead area was crumbling away exposing the threads.
Figured it may be wise to go ahead and replace the cracked OEM 20x1.75 tires.
Not much experience with tires. Did some searching, noticed that the inner metal rim has rubber spoke tape which says "20x1.75-2.125" which I assume means the rim can handle up to 2.125"?

I live in a rural area with not many stores near by. I searched around online and found some "Schwinn replacement" tires that are Innova brand 20x2.125 for ~$18/ea shipped.
Would these be a huge down grade compared to the old ones?
Any other advice for my intended ride usage?

Attached pic of old tire bead and pic of potential replacements i'm looking at

Attachments

• tires.jpg
    tires.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 48
  • replacements.png
    replacements.png
    995.4 KB · Views: 49
Yep, the rim will take a 1.75 on up to a 2.125 tire.

Those tires look good for your needs and the price is good too.

I wouldn't put knobbies on it, unless that was the look, or there was a need, most convenient. They'll work.

As long as you use decimal tires with same size decimal rims, like the example you provided. You will be fine. However, you can not mix decimals with fractions. A 20x1.75 tire is not the same as a 20 x 1 3/4

On my 20" recumbent I replaced the high pressure tires with Michelin Country 20 x 1.75. If I was on smooth paths the high pressure tires rode better and easier, but on city streets I needed more of an all purpose tire. They're 20 bucks each now. I like how they have tread but roll almost like a smooth tire.
https://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Country-Tire-1-75-Wire/dp/B009NN490W

Latest posts

Back