Alchemist Airflow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some decent time in the shop this weekend for the first time in a while. Drilled the fender braces, and bolted them up. Filled the old holes in the fender with mixed results. Let's put it this way: Powder coating the front fender is no longer an option. I'm probably having to bondo and paint some of these parts, instead.

Anyhoo, I then added a few parts and details, like finally adding a seat post clamp, a Brooks seat (a stand in, I haven't found the perfect old long spring saddle yet), and put it together.

After more than a year, this thing is almost a rider! Still so much work to do! Many more details, and the frame is still only tacked in some places.
IMG_6231.JPG
IMG_6232.JPG

IMG_6233.JPG

IMG_6234.JPG

I know it been a long work in progress ,,,,,
But it’s really taking shape love this old school stretched out bike . It will be worth the wait in the end [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So much to love about this buiild!
Glad to see you are finding time for it again.

I decided to put on a few more parts today, and after more than a year of building, I actually got to ride this thing around the block! And it was very comfortable. There is still SOOO much to do, so next is to tear it down, do a lot more welding, and complete more fabrication. Lots of details in mind. Here it is on the ride.
IMG_6235.JPG

IMG_6237.JPG

IMG_6238.JPG

Hey, so I've got an update on this build. I was very unhappy with how the tank, and a few other details were working out, so three years ago, I set it aside in my shop, and it's been collecting dust all this time. The biggest issue was with the tank, which looks okay in pics, but in person, it's pretty messy. A pound of bondo might make it pass muster, but that's not what I wanted.

However, I've leveled up my sheet metal skills in the last three years. I made that tank, rack, and chainguard for the 32" cruiser, and those came out great. So, I decided to scrap the tank I made years ago, and start fresh.

IMG_1916.JPG

I will make a new one, using the things I've learned. I rolled some 1" tubing to match the top tubing, and cut it in half, then I filled in with sheet metal. I'm currently working on cutting and shaping it to the profile of the tank, but I've not quartered the tubing, so both sides are being built together at the same time, so keep it completely even and consistent.
IMG_1922.JPG
IMG_1924.JPG
IMG_1925.JPG
IMG_1926.JPG

Ah, it is always great to see progress in skills.

If there is one thing I have learned in life and that is to try out things you might like, because if you do then the acquisition of the skills becomes largely just a mere matter of practice doing something you enjoy doing.

Win!

I had forgotten about this one, loving the new tank!

So I'm curious. How did you split the tubing after you rolled it? Band saw? Cut off wheel? It's looking great already. :cool:
Second option. Rolled it to match the tubing on the bike, then used a marker to layout a cut on the sides, and ripped 'em with a cut-off wheel.

Cutting, and rearranging bits of the tank I made, to get it in the right shape. A lot of work. Cutting and re-welding back together, sometimes multiple times in the same spot. Frustrating, but it's coming near it's end.
IMG_1931.JPG
IMG_1932.JPG
IMG_1933.JPG

Got the tank filled in and whole, all the way around. Then started making a template for a trim piece like you see on actual Airflo tanks.
IMG_1941.JPG

Then I took that template, and made two pieces in 16g steel.
IMG_1942.JPG

Let's see how it's looking on the frame!
IMG_1943.JPG
IMG_1944.JPG

Next will be one of the more delicate parts, ripping the tank in half, and starting to grind and conform it to the bike.

Ripped the two sides in half.
IMG_1947.JPG

Then started to get fitment on the bike.
IMG_1948.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG
IMG_1950.JPG
IMG_1951.JPG
IMG_1952.JPG

IMG_1953.JPG

It's going to end up skinnier than an actual Airflo tank, but that's okay, I'm still really happy with how this is going.

I have no plan for any kind of front reflector or light, by the way. But that's part of why I ended up dragging my feet on this for years, so I'll just go with the knowledge that I can always cut something in later.

I just cannot believe how far this has come since your original. In terms of design this is not some kind of after-fit or apology, it just grabs the bike by the nether regions and says this is how it is going to be.

Latest posts

Back