Alchemist Airflow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting the darts on in a way that they can come off to be powder coated separately was a challenge, but after some thought, I got it. I even managed to counter sink where the bolt goes, to make it flush. That wasn't easy. haha.
IMG_1962.JPG
IMG_1964.JPG
IMG_1965.JPG
IMG_1966.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG
IMG_1970.JPG

Next will be cleaning all the parts to bare metal, and putting it all together, to see what I've got so far.

Getting the darts on in a way that they can come off to be powder coated separately was a challenge, but after some thought, I got it. I even managed to counter sink where the bolt goes, to make it flush. That wasn't easy. haha.
View attachment 179957View attachment 179958View attachment 179959View attachment 179960View attachment 179961View attachment 179962

Next will be cleaning all the parts to bare metal, and putting it all together, to see what I've got so far.
Looks like it'll be amazing!

Will the final product be bare metal?
No, I'll have the whole thing powder coated. Right now, I'm thinking black for the frame, forks, and little pieces like the fender braces and darts, then red for all the sheet metal. I think black darts on the red tank over the black frame would look good.

Well, fabrication of the frame and tank are done! Also, I took the time to fabricate myself a tomahawk stem, because why not?

I threw all of the parts I'd been saving for it on there, and got her riding smooth. Well, most of the parts. There're a few small doodads, and I want to find a better saddle for it.

But before I break it all done for powder coating, I'm now thinking of fabricating a Shelby-style rack for it. And maybe a stretched Shelby chain guard, as well? We'll see on that one. I'm really happy overall.
IMG_2000.JPG
IMG_2001.JPG
IMG_2002.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG
IMG_2008.JPG
IMG_2009.JPG
IMG_2010.JPG
IMG_2011.JPG
IMG_2012.JPG

What a dynamic reading of the Airflow design. Your realization is wonderful. Love the bent seat post the best. Next is the detail welded to the stem. Is there going to be a Hiawatha ornament on the fender, Or better yet your interpretation of the Hiawatha fender ornament? Wow I'm impressed.

I made a new front fender for the Airflow (out of a rear fender), so that it's much cleaner, and... I made a rack! The angle of the stays to the seat post made it so that the exact same way that the Shelby Airflo rack bolts on wouldn't work, or at least I couldn't get it to work, so I ended up bolting it on a different way. I just finished it a few hours ago, so I'll have to sit with it for a while to decide if I like it.
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2067.JPG
IMG_2068.JPG
IMG_2062.JPG
IMG_2063.JPG

I made a new front fender for the Airflow (out of a rear fender), so that it's much cleaner, and... I made a rack! The angle of the stays to the seat post made it so that the exact same way that the Shelby Airflo rack bolts on wouldn't work, or at least I couldn't get it to work, so I ended up bolting it on a different way. I just finished it a few hours ago, so I'll have to sit with it for a while to decide if I like it.
View attachment 180371View attachment 180372View attachment 180373View attachment 180374View attachment 180375
I think it looks great!

Look'n good!
The rack on the original Shelby mounts to the fender and the seat post bolt.

Here's a picture of an original:
100_7495.JPG

Here's the brackets that I make for my fiberglass Airflow racks:
100_7501.JPG

I'm sure that whatever you made works fine but if you think that you could use one of these, message me and I'll send you one.

Got the parts back from the powder coater. Pictures this weekend.

The bad news is that the gloss finish really shows the flaws in the parts. The dents, dings, small holes, ripples, etc.
The good news is that as a whole package, taking a step back, I think it'll look outstanding.

You folks here get the first view!! It's all together, and a rider. Only a couple of minor details left, namely some pinstriping and fender darts, and possibly a head badge of some type on the fender, like it is for Shelbys. As I stated, you can see some rippling on the tank, fenders, but most especially on the rack, but hey, vintage bikes are never perfect. They take some abuse.

Note the restored saddle that I got in a trade, and the repop knuckle guards that I found on eBay while researching to possible make my own. Great additions.
IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG
IMG_2211.JPG
IMG_2212.JPG
IMG_2213.JPG
IMG_2215.JPG
IMG_2216.JPG

Look'n good!
The rack on the original Shelby mounts to the fender and the seat post bolt.

Here's a picture of an original:
View attachment 180406
Here's the brackets that I make for my fiberglass Airflow racks:
View attachment 180407

I'm sure that whatever you made works fine but if you think that you could use one of these, message me and I'll send you one.
Looking for a Shelby Airflow carrior for a 38 thanks

Latest posts

Back