All roads Estay build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve experimented with 3 speeds for a while. On the SA I have on my red menace I found 44-17 to be awesome. Gives you 2 really usable gears in 1 and 2 with 3rd as a real overdrive gear great for riding downhill or with a tail wind. I originally set it up 44-22 but I hadn’t ridden bikes for years.

Since 2nd is the most efficient of the 3 gears it makes sense to gear it for the majority of your riding.

I have had many nexus 3 speeds and like them too. They do shift nicer that the SA’s. I’ll be experimenting with a nexus on the early Electra rat rod I’m picking up this week.

20220211_102723.jpg
today it was time get some colour onto the new frame.

20220211_103459.jpg

Red base Coat

20220211_104241.jpg

Candy coat on.

I don't know why, but as soon as a get paint on a frame, I want to get it together. Wet paint makes assembly so much harder.

I stripped bits from the old frame and moved them straight across. Only change being a single crank set, to replace the triple I was using.

I tried a few different colours for the fork.
(Ran out of candy red).
Settled on good old gloss black.
20220211_131530.jpg
20220211_131535.jpg
20220211_131542.jpg

I’ve experimented with 3 speeds for a while. On the SA I have on my red menace I found 44-17 to be awesome. Gives you 2 really usable gears in 1 and 2 with 3rd as a real overdrive gear great for riding downhill or with a tail wind. I originally set it up 44-22 but I hadn’t ridden bikes for years.

Since 2nd is the most efficient of the 3 gears it makes sense to gear it for the majority of your riding.

I have had many nexus 3 speeds and like them too. They do shift nicer that the SA’s. I’ll be experimenting with a nexus on the early Electra rat rod I’m picking up this week.
I really want to try an Alfine hub next. Happy with the Nexus so far, Alfine is supposed better again?
I live in a hilly area, so this build will benefit with the lower gearing. I agree 2nd should be your normal cruising gear. Trying something a bit different on this one.

View attachment 185635today it was time get some colour onto the new frame.

View attachment 185636
Red base Coat

View attachment 185637
Candy coat on.

I don't know why, but as soon as a get paint on a frame, I want to get it together. Wet paint makes assembly so much harder.

I stripped bits from the old frame and moved them straight across. Only change being a single crank set, to replace the triple I was using.

I tried a few different colours for the fork.
(Ran out of candy red).
Settled on good old gloss black.
View attachment 185638View attachment 185639View attachment 185640
Mate, that thing looks awesome. nice work!

I really want to try an Alfine hub next. Happy with the Nexus so far, Alfine is supposed better again?
I live in a hilly area, so this build will benefit with the lower gearing. I agree 2nd should be your normal cruising gear. Trying something a bit different on this one.
I like all the nexus hubs i have. 3 x 7 speeds, 1 x 4 speed, 2 x 3 speeds. The 7’s and the 4 are my favourites. The 3’s are ok but you need to experiment with them with different rear sprockets. The key is to gear second like your favourite single speed bike but you also need to consider the weight and style of the bike. I like a ratio for second around 2.5-2.6. I don’t have any experience with the Alfine hubs.

If you were buying new, you can get a Nexus optioned out to be the same as an Alfine. If you are looking at older used, the Alfine used to be the only way to get disk compatible hub, which also had the beefier axle. The Alfine used to have better seals than the Nexus and got roller bearings before the Nexus hubs did as well.

Last edited:
Summer is on the way down under. Planning to hit some local trails, so fitted up a suspension fork and the dth tyres back on. The front end lift has had a very positive side effect, and is all round nicer and more comfortable. Not that it was bad before lol.
Now I just need to find a cheap 8 speed hub. 3 speeds isn't quite enough for this one.
20221004_175738.jpg
20221004_175732.jpg
20221004_175726.jpg

Latest posts

Back