All roads Estay build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start a build thread here, figure this one may go on for a while with improvements.
Here are the before pictures. As I dragged it home yesterday.

Plan is to build 'my' ultimate road bike.
A comfortable exploring/adventure bike.
Fat tyres that can handle off road, but low rolling resistance.
8 or 11 speed geared hub.
Lots of experimenting with the riding position and bars to be done.
Once it's all fine tuned, I plan to build my own frame from scratch

20220101_195501.jpg
20220101_195507.jpg
20220101_195516.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome practical bike! I like it so far.
Nexus 3 is a great hub, this one is with roller brakes?
In your previous post the rack seems a bit our of center. Or maybe you use very heavy bags so it is aligned again ;)

Awesome practical bike! I like it so far.
Nexus 3 is a great hub, this one is with roller brakes?
In your previous post the rack seems a bit our of center. Or maybe you use very heavy bags so it is aligned again ;)
Thanks, This hub is for rim brakes.
And yes the rack is bent. After I posted the pic I noticed how far out it was hahaha. A quick tweak at the seat post saw it back to the centre.

Screenshot_20211219-011434_Instagram.jpg

Not my picture: borrowed from insta.
I really like the look of these Surly bars. So I mocked up a set in a similar style for a try.

20220120_195006.jpg

Flat bars and some bar ends fitted upside-down and back to front. Looks ugly, but rides nicely :bigsmile: . I tried about 6 different bar combos and these are the most comfortable so far.
I need to get a few miles on it now to make sure they're comfortable for distance. After a decent test I will fabricate something similar.

That's a pretty neat setup. I don't even mind the ugly looks, makes a bit of a statement on the whole elitist MTB thing. Not just bar ends, but flipped bar ends, similar to running the Company logo upside down
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6484

Moto bars back on. I pushed them up vertical, instead of matching the head angle. They really suit this build.
Carved up the Brooks (see separate post).
Added some decent brake pads and leavers.

Pretty good package now as my 'Road bike'.
I'm not interested in speed records, happy to cruise along at 10mph, hitting Gravel tracks, jumping curbs etc. I can go where I want to go when out on a cruise, get a little rowdy, and have some fun. That's what this build is all about.
20220129_202833.jpg
20220129_202857.jpg
20220129_202907.jpg
20220129_202918.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back