"...and I make westerns"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building another bike, like I always like to do. What's different this time is that I'm gonna do it with y'all. My skateboard/punk rock buddies back in the day used to have a rule about these things - and that was that a good bike shouldn't cost more than nine dollars to get you around in style. I'm not sure I can stick to that dictum, but it served us well at the time. This was in Oklahoma where oil money made (some) people prosperous from the 1920s onward, and others more and more desperate as the years went by. It made for a vibrant thrift store and garage sale scene, and as partial as we were to skinny ties and clothing that offended hippies, we hit a lot of them back when plenty of things cost a dime at the low end and a couple of bucks at the top.

One of my first jobs was at an OTASCO store, which was a rival to Western Auto - they sold console televisions and mufflers on store credit. I unloaded hundreds of La-Z-boy recliners and then carried them out to customer's pickups in between assembling muscle bikes and huffy cruisers and crappy ten-speeds. That was the bulk of my after school job - pushing out the cheap 70s bikes that came boxed up in trucks that unloaded in the alley, and loading them back inside at six thirty when the store closed. In between came the thirty minutes I spent assembling each one. They still had alleys back then... sheesh how things change. I could tell the stuff was junk but it gave me access to purloined inner tubes and WD40 at least. Not much else there lying around that I wanted. Sometimes I changed bike tires or installed a Wald basket for customers. I was fifteen and called myself a mechanic, lol. I remember one week when the tire man had the flu they stuck me in the garage to change tires and I pretended I knew what I was doing while the manager was around and got the cool customers to show me what the heck I was supposed to be performing after. I'd been watching the real mechanic as closely as I could without giving away the impression that I was gunning for his job. That's how I learned to bust auto tires and hang exhaust pipes. In the summer I'd help the mechanic haul hay and he'd let me look in the old barns for rusted bikes.

There were a few junk men who had yards filled with old bikes I'd give my right lung to be able to peruse nowadays, but we alway just looked for something that would WORK and had a little style. My brother quickly decided that he liked the Schwinns, and I did too but to be different from him I started looking at the scrappy competitors to Schwinn, the ones not afraid to design something a little weirder or more ostentatious. The cantilever frame always seemed "safe" compared to others. Very quickly I settled on the "two top bars" style of frame and built them up until they got stolen or lost in a move, given away, you know the drill. They came and went, and I kept just shelling out another nine bucks or so to get the next one. Estate sales were easy pickings circa 1979 when I was in high school.

Fast forward a few decades and I still love these bikes, and still love to build them up and find them. I'm only marginally more talented at wrenching now than I was as a kid, but to me that was the beauty of it all. You didn't need to be any good to have fun.

One of my surfer heroes was a guy from Oceanside named Phil Edwards. Some say he was the first pro, because he had a signature model but he usually skipped contests and traveled on his rep alone. He's my hero because of his casual and cool style but also because of this one thing he said which always stuck with me: "The best surfer is the one having the most fun in the water."

Bikephoto by jeandodge67, on Flickr

Here's my latest bike, and stay tuned as I bring it back from the barn to the streets, alleys and trails of my current hometown. For those of you who actually care, it's a 1937-39 Western Auto badged Cleveland Welding co bike with a skip tooth, rear facing dropouts and a lazy 7 style seatpost. I'll be posting more about it and the donor bikes that are gonna give their lives up for it soon enough. I guess I'll enter this in whatever build-off is coming along, but the prize is already mine in my opinion since sharing is the funnest part.

And cheers to all who are keeping the tradition alive, a tradition that (like a lot of you, I bet) we thought only our mates invented just for ourselves... the assorted weirdos of a small town who were learning to appreciate the value of our own time, and anything both useful and beautiful made by union labor on American soil.

yeah Luke it's funny how the first bike is the one you assume is immortal. Mine was a used Schwinn stingray that my dad bought for me used in Santa Monica. He paid five bucks for it with two flat tires and a couple of years worth of sitting outdoors to overcome. I'm dead certain I had no idea that anything besides the chain needed (yearly at best) lubrication. And I also figured it was capable of withstanding any jump I was brave enough to launch it off of - and you know what, it was!

Badges? We don't gotta show you no stinkin' badges?

This same frame is very close or the same as some Shelby AIrflow frames. Here you can see the rust levels I'm up against. Never get discouraged however at what we'll charitably call "patina." Underneath is good old steel and unless and until it rots all the way thru there is hope. Even then there can still be hope... but that's not the deathbed cases I'm looking to revive.

Our gang made ballooners mostly because we liked the style. This was in a small farming and ranching town near the oklahoma/texas/arkansas border. We also rode a lot on woodsy trails and dirt and gravel roads - some of us lived out in the country on dirt roads and back then it was no big deal for a grade school kid to ride five miles to see his friends. The bikes were both useful and cheap. My friend Terry lived in a house that was originally a log cabin and a stagecoach stop, having over the years been encased inside a rambling two story frame house with a huge barn close by with goats, cows, chickens and a model A truck. The Model A had a homebuilt wooden flat bed and was not "a classic," it was just the ranch truck that was available to do the work that was needed. Terry's bike was the first springer-forked bike I'd ever seen - I have no idea what brand it was, but it was a marvel to me and I wanted one. It was probably a pre-war bike he got passed down to him from older brother to brother until finally it was his. His family was big and poor but they kept anything that was useful and made things out of junk whenever they needed it. I remember that his "little red wagon" was wooden, and built by a carriage maker but used by all the kids in the usual reckless ways. From him and his family I learned that "useful" and "new" were not terms bound together at all. Anvils, car jacks, leather making equipment, old single shell shotguns, bibles, everything around his place was often at least fifty years old and looked it, but always in working condition and properly maintained. These were people who had a rubber tired horse drawn wagon for hauling with, and who taught the kids how to drive it. They were both poorer and richer than we were.... we were broke but they were farmers, and so either in debt or with vast holdings, one was never sure. But they didn't waste money, that's for sure.

That bike of Terry's was bigger than my stingray and got him farther and faster, and I wanted one like it... as soon as I could reach the pedals.

Verrt said:
kentercanyon said:
...and as partial as we were to skinny ties and clothing that offended hippies, we hit a lot of them...

You hit a lot of hippies? :lol:

lol... actually they tried to beat us up for wearing our red and blue Vans. I kid you not. "My mom wears shoes like that!" Hoof

kentercanyon said:
Verrt said:
kentercanyon said:
...and as partial as we were to skinny ties and clothing that offended hippies, we hit a lot of them...

You hit a lot of hippies? :lol:

lol... actually they tried to beat us up for wearing our red and blue Vans. I kid you not. "My mom wears shoes like that!" Hoof

Funny! I remember hearing, "nice slippers," from the "jocko-hippies," I grew up around. Yes they were, before anyone asks......

I remember OTASCO....and alleys! :D

Back in the day in Detroit we had a similar store, Imperial City which sold everything from guns to bikes, console TVs, sofas, tires...you name it. My first bike that I got for Christmas '64 was purchased there by "Santa". :mrgreen:

Look forward to your build. 8)

Mikeebikee -

"Jocko-H0m0" was the Devo song I figured that was about those douche-bags.

In a terrific episode of total irony, I was once attacked by some golf pants wearing, polo-shirted fratboy types for attending a "punk rock" show. (Wait for the name of the band for the irony.) Nine months before, this band from overseas was on their very first tour of the USA and me and the singer from MY garage band met them before their gig in Tulsa and told them what we could about Oklahoma and the music there, trying to be supportive of our little scene like we always did when bands came to town.

We liked to come to the club early so we didn't have to pay. If you wandered in early enough, promised to bring a lot of hot girls later and hung around for sound check you could often get on the guest list, which helped if you were underage and shouldn't be there in the first place - like we were. These band guys were green, older than us but still green to touring it seemed. They asked a lot of questions about where to get a "real steak" and what the "real America" was like as they had only been here for less than a month and were wide-eyed at all the typical grandiose and odd things like truck stops and mega-churches they were seeing. I remember more about my nervousness over my fake ID than what the band dudes said to me, but my buddy was brave (that's why he was our lead singer and I was the bass player) so he did most of the talking.

At the time I think this european band had a 7 inch single, (they gave us a few to pass out to friends) and a 15 passenger van to get to their dates with, and no trailer so they had to pile in with all the gear as we said goodbye to them in the alley after their sparsely attended gig, practically having to shoehorn them in to get the doors closed. We wished them well and bought their album when it came out the next year. They seemed to actually care about our tiny scene and maybe remembered us and OUR band and so on their SECOND tour of the US we went to see them at a club in OKC. To our surprise they remembered our singer, pointed to him in the crowd and pulled him up onstage for the encore to sing a half-axxed cover of "Southern Man" by Neil Young. The guitar player could barely play the rhythm changes, I remembered but everyone was having fun and it was just a cover song for an encore anyway. I think they wanted to give a hat tip of some kind to Oklahoma. I'm not sure if they knew they weren't really in the deep south anymore... lol. But our singer did his best to sing the words he knew and they did their best to sing the words they knew. I remember afterwards my buddy said he wished they'd asked him to sing "Cinnamon Girl" instead since he knew more of the words to that one. Sloppy encore and all tho, they put on a great show and we were jazzed that they seemed to be getting a real following with their music, which was often catchy, fairly positive if a little obscure in the lyrical and melody department.

We hung out after the lights came up, and said a few words as they loaded out, this time into a couple of vans with trailers for the gear, and a roadie or two to help out with the driving. They were obviously getting some tour support this time. The club was just a place where cover bands usually played, and was not known as a regular "punk rock" venue but the band told us after that their manager had booked it because it was larger than the usual dives where we played, and they drew almost 400-500 people to the show, which was impressive for a band with one album. Again we wished them well and remarked among ourselves how cool they seemed. None of us had dates or girlfriends who were into music so we were typically geek-fifth wheel types who could take a hint. We left fashionably late, as the band packed their gear up but we left the club before they threw us out.

We were high on the music and the fun of being out with all our friends where we all managed to get into to the club without being carded, arrested or caught by our parents not actually having a "sleepover" or a "campout." Most of us, me included dind't even buy beer at the bar in case someone asked to look at our IDs. Still, we were giddy and laughing in the parking lot as we were headed to our cars when this pair of drunken frat boys accosted us loudly and with a lot of semi redneck-accented profanity.

Here's an observation. If you want to start a list of places to avoid, beer joint parking lots in Oklahoma at closing time is a good candidate for inclusion.

So there they stood, Bubba and Trey-Bubba, rednecks with aspirations to be lawyers for Wal-Mart someday, perhaps. Something out of The Outsiders, still alive and walking years after the "greasers and the socials" used to rumble and just as stupid, drunk and plaid, ready for the golf course or a stomach pump, probably. Allowances bigger than their IQs, combined. I got the impression they were regular drinkers there who didn't like it that there wasn't a Journey/REO Speedwagon cover band that night and hadn't appreciated the crowd of strangers at "their" bar making noise and slowing down the beer servers. Some of our group were skateboard buddies, and some were in garage bands together, all having carpooled to get there, again the median age being "barely able to drive." As a crossover member of both groups I guess I felt socially obligated to be the spokesperson for our crowd of high schoolers and college freshmen and so stepped forward.

These drunken good ol' frat boys started in with the usual insults about our hair, clothes, shoes and skateboard shirts, calling us "dirty punks." I wanted to point out it was probably, technically, more "New Wave" this evening, not necessarily our usual cup of tea anyway, but thought better. Nothing we hadn't faced before, but it quickly became obvious they wanted a FIGHT, not just to insult us.

It was cold and I had my hands in my thrift store/surplus trench coat so I stood up to the bigger, drunker one and said, "If you want to hit somebody, go ahead. But no one here wants to fight a drunken idiot tonight. We just came for the music and if you don't like it why don't you go home and sleep it off." Well, I was young and had a lot to learn about drunken idiots. He hauled off and slugged me in the eye pretty good before I could duck or block. I had a serious black eye for the next week, and years later developed a torn retina in the same eye that the doctors told me could have been started there. I staggered a bit but stayed on my feet and just looked back at him like he was handing out candy and said, "I guess you feel like a man now, huh?" or something stupid. I was trying the non-violent approach but should have kept my mouth shut probably. He hit me again in the same spot but not as well and I laughed at him, hands still in my pockets. He looked at his friend and then at me as I stood there trying to look bored. "Don't you wanna fight? " he yelled at me. My skate buddy Jay who was close to me laughed too and said, "no, we don't wanna fight! We wanna do the DOG! " and instantly the whole six to ten of us started skanking like rude boys listening to ska music, dancing in circles around them like wild indians and laughing our assess off, moshing amongst ourselves and totally ignoring them, shouting "DO THE DO THE DO THE DO THE DOG!" The frat boys seemed genuinely confused and mumbled some insults and left. Just another normal hassle for us, we all went out for pancakes and called it a night, the long drive back to Tulsa ahead of us for some.

The offensive "punk rock" band's name? U2.

Next year we saw them in a collegiate basketball arena close to our dorms, "festival seating" style but once again from the front row, after sneaking into the venue through a door we kept blocked open for such occasions. The singer for our band was with me and Bono waved to us and made sure to drag OUR girlfriend up on stage to dance with him for some big party number near the close of the show. We didn't see them backstage that time - they were way too big to be our friends anymore but it was cool anyway. "We knew them when," and all. No point in pressing these things. Our garage band was gigging and getting ready to make our own record by then, and I would bet dollars to doughnuts every frat boy in OKC was at that show including our adversaries from the previous year. So yeah, I lost my eye for U2. Go figure.

Latest posts

Back