RRBBO13 Ankle Biter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I recently found this little guy at a swap meet. I think I have a plan... ;)

IMG_8817(1).JPG

Stay tuned!

That little dude is in great shape. What changes do you have in mind?

That little dude is in great shape. What changes do you have in mind?

Quick, simple build. All the original parts not retained for the project will be saved. The paint is really nice so I'm keeping that. If I don't like how it turns out, the bike can always be put right back to original.
The only "fabrication" I'm planning is to repair the slightly tweaked fork and maybe add truss rods.

More to come!

Try a mild oxalic acid, citic acid, or vinegar dip, it will neutralize the rust where the paint is dinged and you can polish the rest of the paint. Keep it waxed and it will look great.

Will also clean up all your chrome bits, dont do the galvanized though.

I had something like that as my first bike with training wheels.

Try a mild oxalic acid, citic acid, or vinegar dip, it will neutralize the rust where the paint is dinged and you can polish the rest of the paint. Keep it waxed and it will look great.

Will also clean up all your chrome bits, dont do the galvanized though.

I had something like that as my first bike with training wheels.

OA is great stuff! I bought a big underbed storage container and it will hold a 20" frame nicely. Cleaned up the crunchy little Schwinn Tornado below with it last fall.

IMG_7190.JPG

The bike I have now is pretty clean and shouldn't need more than a polishing.

Last edited:
Kool Kidsize Klunkiness

Big fan of the Oury grips! Been using them on my mtb's since 1990. Got a pair currently on my RRB #13 build, Fisher CR-7 as well.

Now that I have a plan in order and most of the parts have been located, it's time to start putting this thing together. Time is kind of limited for me this year but I wanted something in the buildoff. A mini klunk is what we're going with. It *should* go together pretty quick and won't take up a lot of space when completed.

The name comes from what we call children's wheel goods (tricycles, wagons, pedal cars, small bikes, etc...) that people buy to decorate their homes. Usually they have a doll or stuffed animal displayed with them. These objects almost always have pointy corners or some kind of protrusion like a pedal or kickstand that finds one's ankle when they walk into the room when it's dark... I still have a scar from an Iver Johnson tricycle that got me one night. With any luck this one will be a success and will have it's own chance to take a chomp out of me on some pitch black night...

The first order of business will be making the wheels match. Both are NOS but the rims are different. I hate mismatched rims so this will need attended to.

IMG_8854.JPG

I had another used front wheel with a junk hub that will be donating the rim. Once this is built up, I can see how the tires will look.

IMG_8855.jpg

Looking sweet!
Love that fork jack tool

The next job was to strip everything down, give it a clean and polish and start fitting the new parts... This was supposed to be easy and fun but it turned out to be neither of those things... :blackeye:
The fork and rear triangle were both bent out of whack and needed some attention...

I've had this tool for a while and always wondered what it fit....
IMG_0016.jpg

A-Ha!
IMG_0015.jpg

Not only was the fork pushed back but it was also twisted...
IMG_0019.jpg

Had to use my big angry frame tool to straighten it out...
IMG_0020.jpg

Looks a little better now. The bike should track straight again...
IMG_0021.jpg

Took some trial and error to get this lined up...
IMG_0013.jpg

Latest posts

Back