Ann Arbor Bicycle Show 2010

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who's all going to the Saline/Ann Arbor Bicycle Show this year? I know I am. :D Anyone having a vendor spot? The Freak Bike Militia will be there! :mrgreen:

From the Ann Arbor Bicycle Show website...

http://www.ann-arbor-bicycleshow.com/index.html

Please join us for the biggest, the oldest, the best antique and classic bicycle show in the country!

MICHIGAN’S ANN ARBOR/SALINE CLASSIC BICYCLE SHOW AND SWAP MEET

April 25, 2010 will be the 30th Anniversary of the Biggest, Oldest, and the Best Antique and Classic Bicycle Show in the Nation.

This annual one day event held at the Washtenaw Farm Council Grounds, 5055 Ann Arbor/Saline Rd., Ann Arbor, Michigan, will host over 250 dealers from across the continent. At last year’s show more than 7,000 Classic, Vintage and Collectible bicycles were on site representing nearly every major bicycle maker in the last century.

The $3 admission (kids under 12 free) to the Show provides the public with a variety of opportunities to participate in the bicycle collecting hobby like no where else in the nation.

First and foremost are the Show bikes. Typically, 50 to 75 bicycles are entered into eleven categories and the public votes for its favorites. Awards are presented to the first place winners in such categories as Best Unrestored, Best Lady’s, Best Motorized Bike, Best Special Custom, Best Early Classic, and the Best Bike of each decade 1930 through 1970.

Next is the “Classic Bike of the Year Award”. This is a judged event, which focuses on some of the finest, rarest and most sought after bicycles in the bicycle collecting hobby. All of these bicycles are from private collections and are seldom seen outside of museums or auctions. The winner will be crowned “Classic Bike of the Year 2010”.

This year will also be our sixth year that Frank Mathison will be hosting the “ THE OLD SCHOOL MINI BIKE SHOW AND SWAP MEET” . This show will feature vintage gas powered Classic minibikes and Scooters in their own building. Talk about a blast from the past!

Right about 11:30am, the Show features a poor man’s auction. Anyone who thinks they may have a valuable or collectible bike can put it on the block for only $10 and let the crowd decide it’s value. If no one exceeds the owner’s asking price the bike goes back to the owner and they’ll get $5 back. The result is an appraisal from the crowd for only $5.

Besides all the buying and selling of bicycles there is the giving away of door prizes. The $3 cost to get into the Show includes a free door prize ticket. Prizes will be given away each ½ hour. This year, a minimum of 4 new collector bikes (not yet determined) will be given away to some lucky winners. You need to be present to win and you can only get a chance by coming to the show.

This is a great event for the entire family. The bicycle displays will surely bring back many interesting memories to all the grown-ups whether it’s their first bike, their paper route bike, or even the bike that you got for Christmas. It may even provide an opportunity to fulfill a dream and finally get the bike you always wanted.

Once one learns how to ride a bike, one never forgets that first feeling of freedom and excitement. Here’s a great chance to see what this great hobby is all about, take some pictures of the bike you had as a kid and share a great family day together having a unique experience that only happens once a year. This event is mostly indoors, so rain or shine the show is on.

Thanks, Paul and Anne Kleppert
[email protected]
248-642-6639

• In 2009, 100 bikes were entered in the regular bike show, competing for ten class awards. See your favorites, plus many more.

• Over 200 vendors, in seven buildings, and outdoors.

• Poor Man's auction on-site ($10 PER BIKE, $5 BACK IF IT DOESN'T SELL).

• Vendor spaces ALWAYS available, $40/$35 indoors/$30 outdoors

• Over 7,000 Bikes, Whizzers, and Minibikes on Display and Over 250 Vendors in 2009.

• Cash Award for Bike of the Year!

• Show bikes include everything from 1800's high wheelers to Classic Balloon tire bicycles to 1960s-70s bmx bikes and vintage racers.

• Pre-registration required for vendors.

• $3.00 Admission.

• Door prizes and free parking.

• Vendor Set-up 7 am - 8 am.

• Gates open at 8 am to the public.

• Show until 3:00 pm.

• Classic Bicycle Auction at 11:30 am.

• For more information call Paul & Anne Kleppert (6 pm - 10 pm est) (248)642-6639

This show is definitely a must. If you're missing a simple part, it's here. If you want a red 24" Schwinn the same year as you were born, chances are you'll find it; there's everything at the Ann Arbor Bike Show. Overwhelming? Yes. But it makes for a fun time!

You got that right Schwinny! Freaks all over the place! Michigan Freaks, Canadian Freaks, Maybe even some of the Toledo Peddlers (trust me these guys are FREAKS!).
I know we're gonna have a few vendor spots. Also gonna have a FreakShow!
Anyone attending should try to come to the Belle Isle ride in Detroit that Saturday and then hangout for Ann Arbor on Sunday.

New FreakBike Militia - Great Lakes shirts will be for sale! Be there!

One day I'd like to go to this show.

The thing that cracks me up about it though is that it's the biggest vintage bike show in the country, it's been going on for 30 years and all they can squeeze out of it is one day from 8am - 3pm???

You'd think this would at least be a two day affair that would last from 8-5pm both days. I guess after 30 years though they have the system all ironed out though.

It makes it hard to justify traveling across country for that short of an event.

Im going to the show but Im not showing anything this year. Last year they told me they had a custom class so I entered the skelebike. But to my surprise no class, literally :? . They put it in some classic something or other class, it was quite ridiculus. Anyway Im making an appearance with a pocket full of cash hoping to steal some sweet deals. And chainy it looks like I should be at Belle isle on Saturday with my Gangrene cruizer. See ya!

I'll be there, one way or the other. I've never been there before, so I am looking forward to it. I had one ride lined up to get there, but then I talked someone else into going, so we are going down together. Its gonna be pretty sweet!

Shaggy

I went back in 2004 it was a blast! You won't regret the trip! It even rained all day and we had a blast because of the indoor vending areas. Best Show Ever!

i wanna go!!!!! :mrgreen: i got a truck, and i wanna save some cash.

P.B.Army said:
Same guys will be at Memory Lane that are at Saline.What kind of MTB stuff you lookin for?
Basically stuff...Im getting into vintage MTB, I have an 1989 GT Karakoram and a '93? Bridgestone...
which isnt that old, but hey...it looks sort of old...

i like the early 80's stuff
I want to trade...and buy and whatnot

Meory Lane is the reason why the Ann Arbor show is only one day. Many of the vendors feel that Memory Lane is closer to them. Also i think both make out off being on the same weekend. Both would probably suffer if they held their swaps on seperate weekends.

Freak Show! We have a little sideshow for mutants, freaks, rats, zombies and any other critters that don't fit the regular bike show. Our space is limited and is outside but everyone is welcome. It's people's choice. We have a FreakShow trophy for first. Only one class. Get with me on the board or at the show.

Anyone that can make the Bell Isle ride ...... SHOULD! We have a blast and it's a great ride around the island. The people are very friendly towards us. Besides how many people can say .....
I'm so bad I bicycle in Detroit!

just finished loading up, and it's pouring rain here right now, maybe we'll catch a break tomorrow. stop by and say hi, i think we're in building E, next to the mini bikes, i'll be in a red detroit tigers cap.

Metal Militia said:
just finished loading up, and it's pouring rain here right now, maybe we'll catch a break tomorrow. stop by and say hi, i think we're in building E, next to the mini bikes, i'll be in a red detroit tigers cap.
I looked for 'ya but I couldn't find 'ya... :(

Latest posts

Back