ANOTHER new guy from Ohio!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
...and a somewhat late "hey there!"

I first discovered this site the past spring or summer, after talking to a buddy about our local "bike snobs" and how it seems that adults have turned the fun of riding a bike into work.

"When mountain bikes first came out, the fat-tired community made fun of the spandex-covered roadies who took stuff so SERIOUSLY -- now it seems that even the mountain bikers are worrying about technical clothes and 26" vs. 29" vs. the new 27.5" wheels, and titanium seatpost bolts to save 4 grams of weight! Somebody needs to build an adult-sized Schwinn Stingray with a banana seat and high-rise handlebars, and put the FUN back into riding a bike!"

Needless to say, I'm preachin' to the proverbial choir here, but I didn't know about this awesome site (and resource guide!) when I said that. :)

For the next few months, we took somewhat divergent paths putting together "bolt-on bikes." (Seriously, I can't say that I "built" mine after looking at some of the creations you guys have put together.) First, I puttered with my old mountain bike and got some more ideas, then we both searched for, bought, and modified a couple of Craigslist finds.

He built a somewhat more practical run-around-town bike out of the bike he found ( http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-guy-in-ohio.80003/ ), I figured out how to mount a banana seat onto an old six-speed Murray beach cruiser:

greenbike_zps64dbf955.jpg

It's a blast to ride, and turns quite a few heads, but....

I'll be honest -- my third bike was a beat-up 1978 garage sale find: a single-speed, coaster brake Schwinn balloon-tire cruiser that probably weighed 45 pounds. It was indestructible, and thus perfect for its job as a newpaper delivery bike, but it was NOT as much fun to ride as my Schwinn Varsity or Le Tour IV.

Now I'm 35 years older, and I'll admit it -- I like having LOTS of gears! I'm happier with six speeds than one, but at the same time:

"This bike is about 90% of what I want -- if only I could figure out some way to put a banana seat on my 21 speed mountain bike, I'd have it made!"

I spent the rest of the summer riding the above bike and getting the second one 98% finished, but this first post is getting long enough, right?

Looking forward to reading and learning a LOT more from you guys!

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcomes! :)

"What about throwing a multi speed front on the Murray, bump it up to 18?"

I'd thought about that, but really don't know how complicated it would be to change the bottom bracket -- before I started trying to find out, though, I found what seems to be a sort of unique "West Coast (Choppers?)" saddle --with "normal" seatrails -- and a really great layback seatpost:

purple_zps8b72030d.jpg

1991 (?) Titan Cycles raised chainstay frame, original oval-shaped Shimano Biopace chainrings, 1990ish Shimano STX/STX-RC drive train/brake upgrades, modern 24 speed shift/brake levers, apehangers and that seat.... It sort of looks like a banana seat but most importantly to me is that it FEELS like one!

I think the whole contraption is on the edge of "so homely only a father could love it" -- the weird frame, the marble-swirl metallic purple-and-white paint, and the goofy axle-mount kickstand -- but what other options did I really have with that frame? The Performance Bicycle frame bag even fits nicely (albeit backwards) and looks sort of like a "tank frame."

Yes, it's funny-looking, but I'm pretty happy with the way all the parts came together, and it's a BLAST to ride! If I'm going around a corner fast and low, it makes me feel like I'm about ten years old and on my old Huffy Cheater Slick. :) I'm pretty happy with it and (mostly) done tinkering for now!

That is very cool! Love those biopace oval rings!
A true one-of-a-kind bike you have there! ;)

If you do decide to multispeed the Murray, you can get 1 piece to 3 piece crank converters pretty reasonably priced these days, I have also seen one piece cranks with 3 ring chainrings...

Luke.

Watch out man. This is addictive. One bike is never
enough. 30 bikes and counting. Welcome and have
fun. Tom Dayton.

Latest posts

Back