Jude's finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pray I find a house!

My storage garage is looking like a circus!!!

So, my friend gave me an amazing deal on this load. $40. - $5 per bike. (I do have another $40 in gas and tolls)

As there’s plenty of rust here, these bikes are pretty much complete and really only need tires, tubes, elbow grease and lube!
View attachment 163363

Here’s what’s in the mix
2 women’s black Columbia 3 spd tourists
His n hers yellow columbia 3 spd sport III
Women’s Ross 3 speed for parts
Girls 20” bike for persons seat and apes
24” Schwinn Typhoon (needs parts)
26” Western Flyer

So, super great deal, need to find a space and get to work!!!
That could be the 1962 typhoon one year only with double straight bar after that they went to cantilever frame. I heard you mention in another post you were in NY. I am as well 518 where are you if you don't mind me asking?

The western flyer is a 26” bike.

The tires are 26 x 1.75

I’d try to get he serial number off the thing but the mosquitoes are CRAZY right now....

anyone know: was this a middleweight bike or will 26 x 2.125 fit on here?
AFBC3B87-95E6-49BC-9F5F-35708A0DAD6F.jpeg

Last edited:
The western flyer is a 26” bike.

The tires are 26 x 1.75

I’d try to get he serial number off the thing but the mosquitoes are CRAZY right now....

anyone know: was this a middleweight bike or will 26 x 2.125 fit on here?
View attachment 163502
I would think with rear facing forks it would be balloon. If you hold front wheel straight and look down the head tube the of the upper part of the fork should never go backwards either straight with head tube or slightly forward. It looks slightly bent but hard to see without side shot.

sometimes it's just the camera angle that makes the wheel look close to the down tube.

Nice haul!

The WF is CWC made, early 50's. The Schwinn is older than the Typhoon, pre 1962. maybe a Tornado.
Spot on @Wildcat !

The Schwinn is a tornado.

It’s a 24”, so, not sure of much value, but it’s definitely super cool.

The patina on this bike is epic....

No wash, no nothing.

When I get around to it, I’ll just add parts and ride it!!!
304E590A-FE13-4507-B8F6-EB539CC64F1A.jpeg

6FFCF5AC-8AC0-4EEE-A3C1-2A72C593BF16.jpeg

4E053602-541C-4222-88DC-9C15824F8CAA.jpeg

B89D9D63-B64E-4C98-B370-E59574264730.jpeg

That bike would be good for apes and a laid back seat post. It takes a 13/16" post, I don't think those come in a laid back variety though if you can find one. Maybe a tall seat post instead. I think those Columbias have the same size post. I'd see if one is longer and use it. The rims aren't Schwinn, that's good. You can find tires for it, 24 x 1.75 or maybe 24 x 2.125 will fit.
Slight bend in the fork, but probably an easy fix. If it's like the old Schwinns I've had, that paint will shine with a basic cleaning, soap and water, then a couple coats of paste car wax. You'll be amazed. I like how all the graphics are still bright on the chain guard. That's how I knew it was a Tornado, the font on the "T" was used only on the Tornado and it shows in your original post. 🤓

Last edited:
I'm thinking '60s on that one. Real clean
I thought so too, but the forks are Ashtabula type, maybe late 50's. Evans went out of business in 62. My first bike was a 24" Scout, late 50's used. I had to use a chair to get on it then couldn't stop because I didn't know how to get off it, so I rode for hours. That was 1962.

I think the green ladies bike is an Evans, going by the dropouts and chain ring. And the seat post that tightens like a handlebar stem. Probably 50's from the look of the frame.
View attachment 163705
Unbelievable!!!

the green bike does not have a metal head badge....

there is paint over a decal.

I’m not going to do anything with the green women’s 24”

That bike would be good for apes and a laid back seat post. It takes a 13/16" post, I don't think those come in a laid back variety though if you can find one. Maybe a tall seat post instead. I think those Columbias have the same size post. I'd see if one is longer and use it. The rims aren't Schwinn, that's good. You can find tires for it, 24 x 1.75 or maybe 24 x 2.125 will fit.
Slight bend in the fork, but probably an easy fix. If it's like the old Schwinns I've had, that paint will shine with a basic cleaning, soap and water, then a couple coats of paste car wax. You'll be amazed. I like how all the graphics are still bright on the chain guard. That's how I knew it was a Tornado, the font on the "T" was used only on the Tornado and it shows in your original post. 🤓
Any quick fixes for pushing that fork out?

I have a hydraulic floor jack and probably a scissor jack I could use….. no fancy jigs though.

Latest posts

Back