any backrest ideas?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my favorite type of bike is a stretch cruiser (if that's not obvious by now), and they work so much better with a seat with some kind of back rest.

i'm getting a real late start on possibly giving a couple away for christmas (i may save the idea for next year since i took off so late), but i don't have any of the things i've found before to make some kind of backrest seat out of, and i'm way too broke to buy one (let alone two).

so i'm just wondering what others may have made. maybe i've got something that'll work, but not the idea for how to make it work for me.

thanks for any ideas, and here's a few i've made in case someone else is looking for ideas too.

Picture151-1.jpg

Picture035-1.jpg

Picture124.jpg

tandem001-8.jpg

tandem002-3.jpg

003.jpg

note: i just pulled already shot pics out of photobucket so a few aren't too detailed on the seat it's self, but i can try to get another (if i can drag the bike out of whatever hole it's in) or explain more if someone wants. thanks again.

There are a coupla guys that made one out of a Crutch on here...Looked WAY COOL!

BIKEWORLDUSA sells a 42 incher Sissy Bar (I Got Mine)

i'm not sure if a sissy bar will work for me (or as i was saying, maybe the idea of how to work it hasn't occured to me). it kinda has to be part of the seat and move with it.

with the exception of having to buy a new stapler (can't find my old one, can't find the one at work, and even though one of the mechanics said he'd bring his in today [friday], it turns out i won't be at work again 'til monday :x ), i was able to make a couple for a few bucks each.

bikes002-1.jpg

bikes003-1.jpg

not perfect, but i'm happy enough with them. i'll be keeping it in my personal bag of seat ideas whenever i need one and come across the right seat to do it.

ended up just being a piece of plywood (7" dia for this), a piece of sheetmetal for the back (6.5" dia. might not be needed but it finishes it some and should help keep the staples in), piece of vinyl (12" dia. had some already) some carpet backing and a piece of a memory foam mattress pad (both 7"dia). all stuff i had or got from scraps at work. the only cost was a few tee nuts and some button head cap screws (looked a little nicer than regular screws and bolts).

a few quicks rides and i think they'll suit their purpose, keeping you in the seat and helping when you're trying to pedal harder.

Latest posts

Back