Any headset experts out there?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on my Kamehameha build, I put landing gear forks (1" threaded) on a 52 Schwinn Excelsior, 26" cruiser frame. I used an aftermarket headset I had laying around but it is not correct. Its either too loose or tight and wont stay put. I bought the frame off Ebay and it came w no headset.
So a couple of weeks ago, I got a 62 Schwinn straighbar typhoon 26" complete cruiser. The forks were badly bent so I replaced them...also with a set of landing gears, using the factory Schwinn headset that was originally on the bike. Perfect fit. (w the exception of the lower bearing race that goes on the new fork stem)
So my question is: Does anyone have an OEM Schwinn headset they are willing to part with, or does anyone know of an after market headset with the exact same specs as the factory Schwinn? I dont have calipers, so I dont know inner or outer diameters. I just need a factory Vintage Schwinn headset. (cant find one anywhere)
Thanks in advance

Question is, what is the Landing Gear ID crown race size? 26.4mm, 27mm or something else? Old school bmx headsets and Schwinns are the same. 1'' fork crown race IDs size vary today...
Even the steerer ID are now available in both 21.1mm and 22.2 which means the old Schwwin top nut opening might be too small to allow a 22.2 7/8'' quill stem to pass.

so that's a confusing question...not sure I understand. The factory Schwinn lower bearing race, that actually goes on the fork stem itself has too small of an ID to fit around the landing gear fork stem. That is the only part I used from another headset. The rest of the parts were all factory Schwinn. As far as the handlebar quill stem, it is a 21.1, which is what the threaded landing Gear forks are compatible with.

so that's a confusing question...not sure I understand. The factory Schwinn lower bearing race, that actually goes on the fork stem itself has too small of an ID to fit around the landing gear fork stem. That is the only part I used from another headset. The rest of the parts were all factory Schwinn. As far as the handlebar quill stem, it is a 21.1, which is what the threaded landing Gear forks are compatible with.
Chances are the fork you have is for a 27mm crown race and a Schwinn is 26.4mm. The Schwinn cup and bearing retainer will not work properly with a 27mm crown race. You might be able to get away with using loose balls. Strike the headsets I linked. The half you want won't do.

It's situations like these I resort to diggin' in the crates.
headsets.jpg
Perhaps someone else can be more of assistance.

The ID of the crown race required on a threaded SE fork should be either 26.4 or 27mm. I have the same fork on my Schwinn HD. I can’t be sure as I fitted it a while back but I believe it takes a 27mm CR. As Oak Tree said, invest in an inexpensive digital vernier and measure the part of the fork the crown race slides on to.

I have found on some forks, I have needed to heat up the crown race a little with a small portable torch to get it to slide on.

The mx-2 is a great headset (my favorite old school threaded set) but keep in mind it is supplied with a 21.1mm ID top nut and 26.4mm CR.

VP also make a decent less expensive headset which is available with either a 26.4 or 27mm crown race and also different size top nuts. The OD of the cups will be 32.5mm.

Last edited:
Or sometimes you can get lucky with compressed air like those keyboard dusters and spray the race area on the fork. You only need like .001 or .002 of shrink to get it to slide on. Warm the race up for expansion. Oven, stovetop, hot plate, heat gun, etc.........

Latest posts

Back