Any other quality bicycle motors?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for the group: are there any other bicycle motors that can be bought besides China girl motors? As I have learned from my recent build below they are complete garbage I can’t believe they would put something like this together from a factory and expected to last. Good thing I went through it and added better hardware. Other than that I am shocked at what they think is quality considering you’re going to put gasoline in it.Would love to hear your opinion if there are any small engines that can be fitted easily to a bike.

I'd bet a chainsaw would work. I can't think of anything else that's common with a side-oriented drive.

Denardis, they make ktm clones. Pricey but....I have been told they run awesome.

4 stroke reliability.. Go with a 79cc Harbor Freight. The problems with the kits is most of the added parts are crap quality...you are chasing problems and replacing crap components instead of riding...what kind of frame? Motor mounts pretty easily with off the shelf buggy clamps, and a 4 x 6 piece of steel drilled.
20210213_092301.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my china girl, a first run gt5. Been a solid performer, ran thru 2-3 carbs, 4 cdi's and 3 magnetos. Many many miles....
Most times I get motorized bikes to "fix or repair" the biggest offenders are installation failure....
Motor not securely mounted and rear sprocket woes are the most common...
20191228_191403.jpg

China girl 2t engines are luck of the draw. Regardless of price, you may get a reliable one or one that requires constant attention.
-Because of the low cost, compactness and ease of installation, I would still get a China girl engine.
-The 79cc Predator 4t is sold with installation kits and will be more reliable.
-My former contraptions below.
petrobike1 tn.jpg petromtb1 800.jpg

20210403_172009.jpg

Biggest problem I have is the float needle is rubber tipped and sticks when sitting for longer than 3 days. A couple taps on the carb with a screwdriver handle and it frees up and the will start. Need to upgrade the plug but otherwise happy.

Here's my china girl, a first run gt5. Been a solid performer, ran thru 2-3 carbs, 4 cdi's and 3 magnetos. Many many miles....
Most times I get motorized bikes to "fix or repair" the biggest offenders are installation failure....
Motor not securely mounted and rear sprocket woes are the most common...
View attachment 151436
WHAT BIKE FRAME IS THAT? ..................Curt

Latest posts

Back