any regular 2sp kickback users?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean like it might be your main rider or one you use fairly often. praise? slings and arrows?

do you like it? do you accidentally shift much? quirks? i'm trying to come up with a simple drive train for a project and wondering if a two speed will work for me. i just don't like single speed bikes much, especially since i'm usually on a stretch and can't stand over the pedals for the extra push. thanks for any help.

I've owned one two-speed, an old Schwinn Speedster. It's a nice enough set up for a light bike- like a three speed without the low gear. I don't know about the new ones. For a stretch, I doubt if the small extra range would be a lot of help. I have a Schwinn Spoiler that I converted to three speed, and it makes all the difference in the world with the semi-recumbent seating. If you're converting a Dyno, or Micargi stretch, my advice would be to get all the speeds you can- go for a Nexus 8. You can get one with a coaster brake, and then you have only one cable which can be inconspicuously routed with a little effort.

JWM

jwm said:
I've owned one two-speed, an old Schwinn Speedster. It's a nice enough set up for a light bike- like a three speed without the low gear. I don't know about the new ones. For a stretch, I doubt if the small extra range would be a lot of help. I have a Schwinn Spoiler that I converted to three speed, and it makes all the difference in the world with the semi-recumbent seating. If you're converting a Dyno, or Micargi stretch, my advice would be to get all the speeds you can- go for a Nexus 8. You can get one with a coaster brake, and then you have only one cable which can be inconspicuously routed with a little effort.

JWM

yeah, at least three does sound like good advice for that type of bike.

i'm probably in the minority here when i opine that the old bendix 2 speeds, while nifty mechanical marvels, are more of a novelty item than a practical gearing solution.....(hey! stop throwing things!)

some folks have had good luck with the new sturmey archer 2 speed kickback. me? not so much.....

I used one for my campus commuter for a while. They're a lot of fun to ride, just takes a few rides to get it downpat and then it comes natural. It's definitely not a hill climber by any means but it gives a little bit.

thanks everyone. guess i'll drop it from consideration for this project. yeah, i like gears on stretches. my main one has five and the second is a 7sp, but they're derailleurs and won't work for this. i don't have the cash for an internal 8sp. looks like it will be an internal 3sp i try to work out. thanks again.

I put one on my one and only bike. It worked great and stoped well but it really only good for flat areas. I live in the sf bay area and it is very hilly. So I opted to the nexus inter 8, awesome hub. Now I feel like my bike can go any where. I did love the simplicity of the two speed and if some where that was all flat land i would have nothing else.

Oh, I found the nexus 8 on ebay. It was sold as broken for 25$ shipped. When I got it and pulled it apart all it needed was a bearing cadge and a paw retaining ring. I ordered the parts, adjusted the cable and it runs like a champ. A new one was out of my budget.though intimidating there is a lot of info on the web on how to fix these and they are not to hard to work on. You just need a little confidence and patience.

The kickback is like the 3speed without the high gear, except it's automatic. When I rode my yellow band 2 speed regularly, I didn't notice it was there, I shifted without thinking about it. When I got back on a one speed, I really missed low gear. If you already have the kickback, I'd give it a try first before getting something else. You may be able to sell it later to pay for the multispeed hub if you change your mind.

Excellent thread. I have a yellow band rim hanging up in the garage that I've been saving for that "just right" moment. A really cool guy who dealt in used bikes for the underprivileged in a little waterfront town in N. Carolina knew I was into bikes and just gave it to me! I was shocked to say the least. (Thanks Blaine!) Anyway, I'm pulling that baby down this weekend and start cleaning it up. Would enjoy more comments from others with experience. I'm an old guy and have just recently started getting back in shape enough to stand up on the pedals and really get some oomph behind me and some decent speed. The 8 spd internals kinda kept me grounded on my seat. Is there any skipping from these things? My reflexes aren't what they used to be and a high speed wipe out would be a drag, to say the least!

The bike I'm currently restoring will be using the original 2 speed kickback. I took it apart, soaked errrythan in mineral spirits, and filled it up with some Phil Wood. This will be my main cruiser, seeing as I the only similar bike I have is a 1968 Speedster I will be restoring for my mom.

I have a red band on my main ride. I love the lower gear to help get my tank of a cruiser going. The shifting quickly becomes natural. The only downside is some noise and vibration that comes from it when pedaling. That may just be mine. I'm actually on the lookout for another one to test that theory.

i don't have it already, i was just trying to figure out my options. it's for my school bike i made a chain guard for. that's why i can't do a derailleur. and i got a 24x3 on it that hampers that too.

looks like a three speed is what i'm gonna try for. i gave a little more weight to the opinions of the semi recumbent riders 'cause that's the type of bike i'm working on and they kind of have their own quirks. thanks again everyone.

deven_science said:
I have a red band on my main ride. I love the lower gear to help get my tank of a cruiser going. The shifting quickly becomes natural. The only downside is some noise and vibration that comes from it when pedaling. That may just be mine. I'm actually on the lookout for another one to test that theory.

Every redband I have growls.

Put a SA on a 9 yr old girls beach cruiser for christmas. She was running a 44:18 (2.4) and had to get up on the pedals for overpasses and the few hills. She is now running 44:22 (2.0, 2.76) she kicks backs and stands for the few hills that she doesnt coast over with a running start. When she puts on another 20 lb I have a 52 front tooth we'll put on that will give her (2.4, 3.312)

The smile started within her first 50 ft of riding. Its still going. It seems to have become inuitive for her in one ride.

As a test I suggested putting it on another bike. I wish I had picture of just how mean a 9 yr old with freckles and buck teeth can look.

There is no way Im taking the nexus 7 out of my dyno roadster, Im also not going to be standing on the pedals for hills or anything else on that bike. If I get the dyno duce Im going to be torn if it gets a nexus 7 and jockey shifter or a kickback though.

For the money I dont think you can beat the nexus 4 speed coaster take offs on eBay though.

FUN!

i've got a 4 speed nexus i found in a pile of parts, but when i asked about it here (and i think maybe bike forums too) i was told the front sprocket has to be pretty small to get a good gear range, plus i never looked for a shifter after hearing that. my front sprocket size is set for this project (46t), so i haven't considered it.

i bought some old goodies from a guy the other day that used to own a bike store. Talk about all the toys....his winter ride is a Gary Fisher with studded tires, and an internally geared 14 speed. His garage was full of bikes and motorcycles. He still works at the bike shop,and will save me anything old thhat comes in.
I was impressed with the 14 speed....big bucks,fer sure.

the 14sp is a (and i'm about to butcher some spelling) rohloff. no way i'm affording one of those. if i could do cost is no object, i think i'd like to try a nuvinci. running two gear cables might throw a wrench in things, but the idea of it is interesting.

2 speed kickbacks are the greatest, if you ride in the flat lands. I put them on the bikes I build for me.
I got a 2 speed on my Sting Ray back in 1965, and when I started playing with bike about 7 years ago I found 2 speeds to put on the bikes I build. I got 7 bikes with 2 speeds. I got 5 or 6 more for future builds.
I like the low gear to get a bike moving without having to stand on the pedals, also the clean look of NO CABLES.
Yes, they do make a bit of a rumble in low gear, not very noticeable on a tube frame bike, but on my alluminum honeycomb composite bikes the noise is amplified thru the honeycomb and almost sounds like a motor, until I shift into high gear and it goes silent.
And yes they do take a little getting use to, you have to be aware of the gear you are in and know to kickback to get the low gear to start rolling, but thats easy.

yup,Phil, thats what he called it. I think he said it was about 1500 dollars. He had a real sweet Electra,too. BMW's,guzzis,and Ducati's. I was jealous. At least a dozen bicycles, and none cheap or rusty

Latest posts

Back