anybody else feel like this?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Off to the garage! šŸ› ļø

Attachments

• BEAR build.jpg
    BEAR build.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 90
I'm opposite. I just don't feel it right now, kinda burned out on the whole thing. Hopefully I regain the ol mojo in time for MMBO
I know that feeling, sometimes because every new project has to be somehow better than the last, and being surrounded by old projects kind leaves me feeling 'well what next?'. So now I try to find new homes for stuff, or strip it all down to parts, and spend less on buying and more time finding stuff nearby. I use cardboard, which comes from the supermarket. I buy kids bikes for parts because I will never ride them, and only if they are real close or on my way to a place I have to go. While sorting out some junk this week I found some very used barn door hinges and a bag of unused angle iron, so that defines what my build will be, plus I have been saving pizza boxes for the cardboard work on it. Luckily I have a need for Ten Turing as my city runaround, but some parts from that build will be on the next so that each new build is an extension of the last.

Jeez, I constantly have a mix of all those feelings you guys described. I feel like I need to just build a bike, but I'm burnt out from the last project that I didn't get done in time for the Build Off, but then I see a really cool build someone else is working on that gets me inspired to build something myself, but whatever I build next has to be better than the last project, but I have a great idea of what I want to do, but then I realize I HAVE NO MONEY TO TAKE ON ANOTHER PROJECT!

I think it's safe to say this hobby has become an addiction for me, side-effects of withdrawal included. I need to work on finishing the bikes I've already started before I add more bikes to my collection and more projects to my build-list.

Vicious cycle.
I make up my mind that I'm done with project bikes.
-Then, I see a really unique, creative build on RRB.
-I start beating the bushes for a cheap project bike, and the vicious cycle restarts.
"Vicious Cycle." Now that would be a great name for a true rat rod cycle!

As for the pic, yeah I feel that way all the time. Not just bicycles but motorized bicycles, motorcycles, trucks, radios, guns and all kinds of stuff. I'm always building something; usually several somethings.

I'd really enjoy another motorized bike build. There are a lot more engine choices since I sold mine 8 or 9 years ago. Alas, my current community is not suitable for gas assist bikes. Speed limits are too high for my comfort.

I build bikes to take a break from building cars, build them for my kids. I have to consider how many riders I have since a lot of them just hang there.
I've gotten away from over the top builds.
Vintage frame with newer parts is always a fun build for me, weld on some brake posts, alloy wheels, 3 pc cranks. Lot of ways to mix that up, bmx, road bike, trail bike.

Bikes have been around a long time, I don't see a need to build something crazy that may not work well. Building a really good bike that rides and works well is where I'm at.

Updated older bike build for my dad. Chrome regular 26" wheels with sturmey archer kickback. Rides great.
20171015_074859.jpg

Crazy build. Rode horribly. Took it apart. Made some new rear drops to maybe set it up as a 24 all around
20161129_153214.jpg

Build I want to finish this winter. Plan to set it up as bmx inspired and banana seat ape bar cruiser. Able to switch between. Can't decide on 5 spd internal sturmey or single speed.
20200608_161951.jpg

If youre looking for a new challenge. Learn to build and true wheels. It opens so many possibilities in your builds and takes the costs down significantly. Shipping on wheels is expensive.

This thread actually made sense to me. Followed it and started building wheels.
https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=47611
Here's my ghetto wheel stand. Rear half from dept store bike. Has some welding but could be bolted together.
I use a dual indicator, or the base and arm. Could easily use the brake mount with a coat hanger as the gauge, or a zip tie.
20181110_062353.jpg

20181110_061948.jpg

20181110_061237.jpg

I don't see a need to build something crazy that may not work well. Building a really good bike that rides and works well is where I'm at.
I need to keep this in mind, the Build Off tends to push me towards crazy. I've experimented with the Wonky Donkey, it was terrible and dangerous, had to destroy it to protect the innocent. I've gone style over substance with GFA, it is on a shelf for display in my garage. Now, I want to ride my bicycles!

If youre looking for a new challenge. Learn to build and true wheels. It opens so many possibilities in your builds and takes the costs down significantly. Shipping on wheels is expensive.

Here's my ghetto wheel stand. Rear half from dept store bike. Has some welding but could be bolted together.
I use a dual indicator, or the base and arm. Could easily use the brake mount with a coat hanger as the gauge, or a zip tie.
Way more high speed than what I used until I finally bought a truing stand, which was the frame or fork of what I was building wheels for and pieces of masking tape cut to a point. I began building my own wheels because of the costs and the fact that my weight and riding style in the dirt has unique needs.

Latest posts

Back