Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off 01"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off" Build thread.

That blue looks really nice Lucas! I can imagine with the black instead of chrome it will really make it pop too! :mrgreen: Mine wont have much chrome on it either, mainly because everything, even the bars, I am making and there is no way I can afford to chrome them!

RichL said:
Is that a motorcycle rim? You dog! Great idea, I luv it, I could not tell what it was when I saw it on my little laptop, this big monitor from university I can see it though. Wow, you guys have some kik butt ideas going on!

rich

Actually it is another of my modified car rims, this one is made from the narrow side of 2 16x6's, came out at 16x3.5, that is about as narrow as I can build one of these and still have the dropped centre functional for when the tire gets fitted... The Cadillac bike has rims made the same way, but they measure up at 16x9 and 16x4...

Cant wait to see your frame start to take shape, really looking forward to it! Did you get your rims and tires sorted?

Luke.

Thanks, Luke!
Here's a nice pile of some Schwinn parts

555209_593127657367325_179888174_n.jpg

Here they are installed
485938_593127727367318_868051920_n.jpg

LukeTheJoker said:
RichL said:
Is that a motorcycle rim? You dog! Great idea, I luv it, I could not tell what it was when I saw it on my little laptop, this big monitor from university I can see it though. Wow, you guys have some kik butt ideas going on!

rich

Actually it is another of my modified car rims, this one is made from the narrow side of 2 16x6's, came out at 16x3.5, that is about as narrow as I can build one of these and still have the dropped centre functional for when the tire gets fitted... The Cadillac bike has rims made the same way, but they measure up at 16x9 and 16x4...

Cant wait to see your frame start to take shape, really looking forward to it! Did you get your rims and tires sorted?

Luke.
Hopefully I finally get the right color working :p
Cool deal with the rim Luke, me likes.
Lucas, outstanding sir! I agree with you, black will work very nicely with that color blue Nice progress.

As for me... pictures to follow, I had to take my dad to the eye doctor so that ate most the morning. Snow, rain, sleet hail... and temp in the 20's :D yet I did get enough time to layout a basic plan for the bike, did I mention that this was outside :). I spent some time inside working on a scaled drawing so that the plywood template would be easier to do and I would spend less time in the snow.
Tomorrow, despite whatever mother nature throws at me, I am rolling up some tubing! The 1 1/2" cromo don't roll easy, so it will take a couple of hours to get them rolled up, the 1 1/4" is less of a chore . There is no way in heck I am not going to take advantage of just alittle freetime to work on this frame though.

Tires; I had to purchase 2 sets, but this is like an investment :D I just bit the bullet and ordered everything I needed, now I have the ability to mockup a couple of different tire types, thin, medium and fat.

I'll be reposting later, after some quickie editing and uploading.
basiclayoutandtubes_zpsbfcadc45.jpg

scaleddrawing_zps29136c2e.jpg

springerfork_zpsae2b00a7.jpg

I was fighting the rain at this point, so there were not many photos taken, wish I had taken a couple of the plywood laidout, not that it was much to see, but it was fully wet and I was brushing snow off it :)

Peace, my fellow builders!

Rich

Your bike will look awesome with a tank, and ape hangers along with your planned smaller front wheel will give it the muscle bike vibe! Don't know if you have room to fit a banana seat on there though... Might be better to leave it with a normal seat and make it a muscle bike crossed with a burrito! :mrgreen: Two of my favorite bike styles mashed together!

Luke.

P.s. If you are going pro street style have you thought about a wheelie bar and parachute? Check out one of my favorite muscle bikes: "Peatbog's" A/XC Eliminator bike...
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=60959 Might end up with a bar and 'chute on mine yet... :wink: (Thanks Peatbog for the ideas!)[/quote]

I think if I cut the center out of the banana seat so the tire comes up threw it, the seat will fit. Hmmm the more I look at it the more I like it with the narrow 26'' wheels. Maybe I will be starting over on a new muscle bike.

everett's said:
I think if I cut the center out of the banana seat so the tire comes up threw it, the seat will fit. Hmmm the more I look at it the more I like it with the narrow 26'' wheels. Maybe I will be starting over on a new muscle bike.

Always an option! You seem to work pretty fast and that bike you have already built is a really cool burrito!!!

Rich! You are a machine, working outside in those conditions is madness! :mrgreen: Just dont go catching a cold or pneumonia or something!
Cool and very detailed drawing too, just worked it through in my head, that is going to be one solid little bike! Only concern is for the chainline, I know you have probably figured it already but making sure it doesn't end up running through the middle of a stay is important, found that out on my first chopper build, took some reworking to make everything clear... :oops: Pretty sure you would already have it figured though!
Looking forward to seeing pics of your bender in action! Cool krate springer too!

Lucas, you have some cool bits there! Love the lucky7 sprokets and those pedals are the bomb! Will you be painting the cranks and chainring black like you mentioned or it that for some other bits on the build?

I just got back from picking up some nuts to weld into the hubs for my brake mounts, cost me all of $2 for 16, that is way over what I need, only need 6, but needed another 6 for the Cadillac and like to have some spares too! :mrgreen: This really is a cheap hobby compared to most...

Luke.

Thanks, Rich!
Luke, I'll probably leave that sprocket chrome, it's slightly rusted and the wheels are too. So, I figure I might as well go with a slight patina look :wink:
The bars will be black and the fork will be too. I stuck the fork and front wheel on earlier, looks chopperish/muscleish, it's neat looking for sure :)

Well, i seem to be hogging the posts here, but I guess thats just cause I have a lot to do on this bike... Gotta keep moving!
Started on the rear wheel hub today, drew up a diagram to work out how much wider than standard it needed to be, cut the bearing cup holder in half and went hunting for a tube of the right size to fit tightly either inside or outside the holder, found a mountain bike seat tube that fit nice and snugly inside...

DSC00199 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr
After cutting it to the right length and wire wheeling all the powdercoat off, I welded it up and started on the end caps, I drilled out every 3rd spoke hole and welded a nut behind the hole, this is where the brake disc will mount to.

DSC00200 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr
Next up was the axle, I tried finding 3/8x26 thread/inch endless threaded rod, but it does not exist locally and would have had to get it made, that priced it outside the budget on this build so I decided to make my own, started with two axles cut to the right length, bevelled the edges for weld penetration...

DSC00201 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr
Fully welded that, smoothed it slightly till some half inch square tube would fit over and welded that both ends too, to help re-inforce the joint.

DSC00202 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr
This is what it all looks like together.

DSC00203 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr
Of course if I were using normal spokes I could have stopped there, but I am planning to use 4 or 5 thicker welded spokes that weld to the center of the hub, and that extension tube would never be strong enough to hold it, so I had to come up with a stronger sleeve, i considered a piece of pipe that just cleared the inner tube and would have the end caps welded to it, but didn't like the look of it, and didnt feel it would attach securely enough to the end caps, I want a secure joint because otherwise all the drive and braking force would be transferred though press-fit joints, making a very weak spot in the hub. I decided in the end to find a pipe that would fit over the entire hub, end caps and all, and weld it to both ends. And this is what I ended up with...

DSC00204 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr
A monster hub that is both very strong and should work well. i have fitted threaded ends to both sides so I can run a dual chain drive set up, and also made brake disc mounting points both ends too, the current plan is only one disc but I wanted to allow for upgrades later on if I find room in the budget...

DSC00205 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr
Sorry for the out of focus shot...

Pretty happy with how it turned out, it is a bit over-engineered but better to be that way than the other in my opinion...

How are you going Jake? Any progress to report?

Luke.

Lowlife Lucas said:
The bars will be black and the fork will be too. I stuck the fork and front wheel on earlier, looks chopperish/muscleish, it's neat looking for sure :)
Any chance of a picture Lucas? 8) Sounds cool... You are definitely ahead of anyone else at this point, already got paint on your frame! :shock:

Luke.

I over rolled the stays, but they will work, the 1 1/2" cromo ain't going without a fight, I had to send for re enforcements, that will take a couple of days. Tdays tally, one spent old man, 1 broken bearing, a couple of tools purchased to fix roller, 2 pieces of 1 1/4" bent (but too much :( ) Not much to do now but wait for parts.
[edit later]
after a few minutes to reflect, took apart roller again, I have to to replace the drive roller anyway, than set on the 1 1/4" dies again. Got most of the forks done but unfortunately the second drive die bearing went. I have replacements and more coming, but I have to get off to school tonite. I think I will just bend the main tube with the manual bender tomorrow, if the roller parts get here in a couple of days than I can just send the piece thru to cleanup the roll... Just keep throwing stuff in front of me to slow me down or stop me :D I'm on a mission from god! lol

I'll post pics later tonite when I get home, not much to show, other than a completely crushed bearing, and that cool looking but not in the sense of getting a build done way!!! :) but it is interesting that the roller bearings did crumble from the pressure of the bend.

I might be watching you guys for a few,or I might keep slugging on ;D no telling what I'll be doing!!!.

Rich

LukeTheJoker said:
Lowlife Lucas said:
Any chance of a picture Lucas? 8) Sounds cool... You are definitely ahead of anyone else at this point, already got paint on your frame! :shock:

Luke.
Sure, Luke. Here ya go :wink:
196237_593518593994898_296350526_n.jpg

RichL said:
I over rolled the stays, but they will work, the 1 1/2" cromo ain't going without a fight, I had to send for re enforcements, that will take a couple of days. Tdays tally, one spent old man, 1 broken bearing, a couple of tools purchased to fix roller, 2 pieces of 1 1/4" bent (but too much :( ) Not much to do now but wait for parts.
[edit later]
after a few minutes to reflect, took apart roller again, I have to to replace the drive roller anyway, than set on the 1 1/4" dies again. Got most of the forks done but unfortunately the second drive die bearing went. I have replacements and more coming, but I have to get off to school tonite. I think I will just bend the main tube with the manual bender tomorrow, if the roller parts get here in a couple of days than I can just send the piece thru to cleanup the roll... Just keep throwing stuff in front of me to slow me down or stop me :D I'm on a mission from god! lol

I'll post pics later tonite when I get home, not much to show, other than a completely crushed bearing, and that cool looking but not in the sense of getting a build done way!!! :) but it is interesting that the roller bearings did crumble from the pressure of the bend.

I might be watching you guys for a few,or I might keep slugging on ;D no telling what I'll be doing!!!.

Rich
Wow Rich! What a frustrating day for you! Going to be worth it to have the awesome bike at the end though... I'm guessing it the future you will be going mild steel over cro-mo? :mrgreen: I hope these hold ups will spell a much easier centre and end of the build for you, get all the bad stuff out of the way at the start... :D

Looking good Lucas, nice bike!

luke.

AS I mentioned earlier, not much to show, the bearing might be of interest though, the roller bearing basically disentigrated :) the second one to shatter is still in the roller, I'll pull her out tomorrow.
I am going to run the stays through the roller upside down, hoping to remove alittle of the crown. I use the level, placing each end on the intended radius (from the plans) than measure from the center of the radius to the level, that deflection is than what I bend the metal for. In this case, that measurement should have been 2 1/8", mine rolled out to 2 7/16", I think I can take some of that away by bending them upside down. I can live with them like they are, but I would like to remain true to the plan for now (than deviate later :D )

chainstaysandstuff_zps3bece864.jpg

brokenbearings_zps4d6ae7cf.jpg

Again not much to show, but... I'm still playing and still having fun!!! :D

Rich

So, after painting the Centrix today, I've got to get more flat black paint. Only thing I have left to paint is my bars and my fork. I'm hoping I've got a good 16" tube, and I found a tire that's slightly wore so it doesn't look so aggressive. But I've got the chain ready to go on and I may go ahead and do that. Then, I've got to figure out what I'm going to do about my seat. I kind of want to do a banana seat, but I want to do something a little different :wink:

Bearings are very affordable, about 3.00 per. I buy them in packs of 4 from an aftermarket supplier. I am going to see if these are more durable than the factory fresh Chinese ones. I also got a splined shaft to replace the smooth shaft that comes stock for the unit; than new keyed drive dies... and a option to change this guy to a hydrallic pump rather than the screw top. All together not cheap but I can not keep going thru this. Guys are using this roller with heavy and big tubing, but they are upgrading many of the parts to handle the stress. So, my bikes will be bigger and heavier than others :D oh well. For roll cages, roof racks and such, this will not matter... so there is the trade off.

Rich

Latest posts

Back