Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off 01"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope Jake "oleskool" doesn't mind me starting the build thread off. (Let me know if you want any changes Jake.) He started the build off idea, but I think it wont be saturday there for a few hours yet. Seeing as it is now 2:13am Saturday the 26th of January 2013 (here in Australia anyway!), the Build off has begun!

Rule 1: Bike must either scratch built, have some scratch built parts, or at least be custom painted! This is not a build off for nice restored examples or recreations, we like them too, but this is for what your vision off a muscle bike is, not someone else's.

Rule 2: Bike must suit the definition of "Muscle Bike", this is pretty loose, but is generally accepted as a smaller tire on the front than the rear, ape hangers, banana seat and sissy bar. I'm pretty sure we all agree this is a bit flexible, as long as the Muscle Bike vibe is there.

Rule 3: Final photos and any videos up for voting on the finished bikes thread by Midnight on the 10th March wherever it is that you live.

Rule 4: And this is the most important! HAVE FUN! This is a fun build off, nothing serious, so no bad remarks about any other contestants build, ideas or skills.

Currently in are Jake "oleskool", Lucas "Lowlife Lucas", Rich "RichL", Tim "everetts", Terry "bigfatcat", Randy "KRANDALL", Glen "Glen" and myself Luke "LukeTheJoker", there are some others who have shown interest but we have not heard from them since, if they turn up, we will add them to the list, however the deadline will be the same, if you come in late, you get less time to build... That being said, the more builders, the better, so if anyone want's to join, jump on in!

:arrow: I had an idea to make it easier to tell who's update belongs to who... Pick a type colour when doing your first post (if anyone has posted before you, pick a different colour from them please!) and use it throughout the build, if we all have different colours it will be easier to tell who's bike it is you are looking at.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with, I have seen some pictures and know of some components being built and I can assure everyone that it should be entertaining! We will have some very one-of-a-kind-bikes at the end.

Have fun everybody!

Re: Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off" Build thread.

I will be following this build off no matter what. It looks like a fun one.
I will let you guys know soon if I am jumping in with my KingfishCat idea.

Well, I guess I will start us off, no actual building yet, but plenty of planning!
Here is my mock-up board for the build, it has changed a bit since it was drawn up, mainly gotten shortened considerably to make it more "muscle" and less "chopper"...

DSC00176 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr
And no, those are not the wheels and tires I will be using, they are just there for reference.

This is the donor for the bike parts I will be using, a very nice little "road chief" lugged frame that unfortunatly got hit by a car or something at some point, twisted it up pretty bad.

DSC00172 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

DSC00173 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

If anyone has a problem with me cutting this up, they better let me know in the next few hours, the grinder gets put to use in the morning... :mrgreen: If it had not been so twisted up, I would not even think about cutting it up, it would be restored and built up...

Real progress soon...

Luke.

Since my frame is done, ill put a pic of it up.
This is what I'm starting with

554517_587671624579595_424514584_n.jpg

It looks chopperish, but it's the only stretched frame I have. But the plans are: A fork long enough to make it sit level, ape hangers non covered banana seat and a sissy bar. I wanted to do a 20/24 wheel and tire combo, but unfortunately I don't have any good 24 inch rear wheels. So it looks like a 16/2o inch wheel and tire combo (if I have any good 16 inch front wheels and tires)

Glad you will be following Kingfish and Freddy Fingaz!

Awesome wheel set Lucas! Will look awesome, love the big hub, got me thinking about my hubs now, pretty sure I have a big hub 20 somewhere that needs new spokes, might be time to learn lacing and truing...

Off to look for a couple more donor bikes...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Glad you will be following Kingfish and Freddy Fingaz!

Awesome wheel set Lucas! Will look awesome, love the big hub, got me thinking about my hubs now, pretty sure I have a big hub 20 somewhere that needs new spokes, might be time to learn lacing and truing...

Off to look for a couple more donor bikes...

Luke.
Thank ya, sir. I like that donor frame you're using, I really like how it's made

Lowlife Lucas said:
Thank ya, sir. I like that donor frame you're using, I really like how it's made

Yeah, awesome little frame, shame to cut it up, but it is just too far bent, and the canti bars are bent and cracked too. I tried straightening it out, got it straight but did too much damage to the tubes in fixing it, got the forks straight without damage, so I will save them and the headstem for another build at some point, so that is something I guess... :|

Did hit the mother load on donor bikes and the dump shop this morning, glad I borrowed the wifes Camry Wagon for the run, filled it to the brim! Got some very nice donor bikes and some projects too, all fairly modern chinese built bikes but they have what I need...

DSC00181 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

7 bikes in all, total cost $20! (Got the right person at the dump shop, normally they run $5 each no matter what.)
Got a little 12inch bike, cool wheels on it, 16inch girls bike, need those rims and some parts for another build, 2x20inch bmx bikes, always need parts off them, a 24inch mountain bike, this will be donating a few parts to the build off bike, 2x26inch mountain bikes, one a dual suspension one, I might borrow Lowlife Lucas' idea and build a dual suspension stretch with it (if he doesn't mind) and the other 26 is a rather nice alloy frame one with some nice components on it too, probably do a single speed conversion, wide creme brick tires, flipped road bars etc, been a bit inspired by MplsCoaster aluminium winter bike and the Pashley Guvnor thread on that one...

Just did a check on the fire authority website and I am good to cut and weld today so after lunch the sparks will fly! :mrgreen:

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Lowlife Lucas said:

Yeah, awesome little frame, shame to cut it up, but it is just too far bent, and the canti bars are bent and cracked too. I tried straightening it out, got it straight but did too much damage to the tubes in fixing it, got the forks straight without damage, so I will save them and the headstem for another build at some point, so that is something I guess... :|

Did hit the mother load on donor bikes and the dump shop this morning, glad I borrowed the wifes Camry Wagon for the run, filled it to the brim! Got some very nice donor bikes and some projects too, all fairly modern chinese built bikes but they have what I need...

DSC00181 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

7 bikes in all, total cost $20! (Got the right person at the dump shop, normally they run $5 each no matter what.)
Got a little 12inch bike, cool wheels on it, 16inch girls bike, need those rims and some parts for another build, 2x20inch bmx bikes, always need parts off them, a 24inch mountain bike, this will be donating a few parts to the build off bike, 2x26inch mountain bikes, one a dual suspension one, I might borrow Lowlife Lucas' idea and build a dual suspension stretch with it (if he doesn't mind) and the other 26 is a rather nice alloy frame one with some nice components on it too, probably do a single speed conversion, wide creme brick tires, flipped road bars etc, been a bit inspired by MplsCoaster aluminium winter bike and the Pashley Guvnor thread on that one...

Just did a check on the fire authority website and I am good to cut and weld today so after lunch the sparks will fly! :mrgreen:

Luke.
I must say, that's a good amount of bikes! And you're more than welcome to borrow the Lowlife Lucas idea, I'd honestly like to see a few more stretches like mine build just because they're simple and easy to do. If I ever get enough stuff, I plain on building another :wink:
On another note, I've got a girls Schwinn donor bike for a few parts to get a more old school feel to my modern frame :)
Only bad thing is, I may have to use a mud tire on my 16 inch wheel because that's all I've got :?

Regarding your 16inch mud tire issue, do you have access to a belt sander? if so check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64914&p=623604
Or, if you dont have a belt sander and are really careful with a sharp knife you could do a "Burt Munro Worlds Fastest Indian" slick job...

Either way is risky if you dont have a spare tire though...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Regarding your 16inch mud tire issue, do you have access to a belt sander? if so check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64914&p=623604
Or, if you dont have a belt sander and are really careful with a sharp knife you could do a "Burt Munro Worlds Fastest Indian" slick job...

Either way is risky if you dont have a spare tire though...

Luke.
I don't have a belt sander, however, I have a die grinder that will hold a round sanding pad. That would work wouldn't it?

Does that work, I am now the red guy.

See has in a couple of days. Luke and Lucas, way to go!

Rich.

It's officially 12 am, Saturday the 26th here at my homestead. However, I won't be starting today since I have plans, but I'll be hitting it hard Monday morning. I'm looking forward to this build off because winning isn't my concern, I'm anxious to see the bikes you guys come up with 8)

Lowlife Lucas said:
I don't have a belt sander, however, I have a die grinder that will hold a round sanding pad. That would work wouldn't it?
I guess so, might just take longer...

Glad your up Rich, looking forward to seeing your build, throw up some pics of your roller at work too if you dont mind... :D

Started work on the bike at last, cut up the little RoadCheif bike, saved the forks and the rearend/canti bars for another build at some point, I figure that is the best for it, it was no good as it was, at least now the parts will be put to use and add some flair to at least 2 builds! Also cut 2 bottom brackets out of a couple of mountain bikes, they will be extending the current bottom bracket shell out a bit to get the chains wide enough to clear the tire.

Yes I said chains... :wink: Planning a dual drive set up! :mrgreen:

While I am revealing planning secrets, the reason the bottom bracket has to be wide to get the chains to clear the tire, is that the tire I am using is the equivalent of a 26x5inch, but is actually a mt90b16 whitewall motorbike tire. I have cut the short sides out of two car rims to make up a 16x3.5inch wheel hoop, not sure how yet (not spokes, going to keep it tubeless), but it will be joined to a widened rear hub with the double threaded ends. (flipflop style) Don't worry fellow builders, not going a single sided set up on this one, trying to keep it all symetrical to go with the dual drive. I wasn't going to use a m/c tire but I am far too tall for a bike based on 20 and 16 inch rims, and when you go up to 26inch it is a lot harder and more expensive to get that fat look I wanted.

Photo shows most of what I have acheived so far, plus shows the front wheel I am planning on running, it is a 48 radial spoked alloy rim with a nice smooth treaded freestyle tire. Planning on using this one because it is very light, should be good for wheelies!

DSC00182 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Update more when there is more to tell...

Luke.

oleskool said:
can i be another colour apart from yellow?
Yeah Jake of course! :D Choose whatever you want, but probably best not to be too close to anyone else I guess...

If you wanted green I dont mind changing to something else...

Luke.

Latest posts

Back