Are these bikes worth the asking price?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that we're talking California dollars here...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/1072193938.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/1070948712.html

I just received word that there's a small bonus coming down the pipeline at work and the money is already burning a hole in my pocket. Since there wasn't a bonus last year, I thought that I'd treat myself to another bike. This time I want to buy myself a really nice original older bike. I'm favoring the 1937 bike because it'll match my 1937 Airflow. :D

California dollars? Are those worth more or less than my Illinois dollars? :? I like the '37 better than the red and white one.
Those are Monark bikes...not Monarch. :roll: The red and white bike looks like it's been repainted. The chainguard more than the rest. Painted fender braces also tend to make me think repaint. I've never messed with a Silver King but I think it would be a good challenge. As for price, not sure. Gary

If i had the money to spend , I'm afraid I would have to go with b607 on this one. The silver king should hold it value the most ,but remember they are all 24'' bikes. I would probably pass on both and wait for a better deal on something else for that much money. As soon as you buy one of them you will find a really nice original something or other for $275 and you wont have any extra money. Patience is a virtue. :wink:

Buck Masterson said:
Nice bikes, but I'm anti paying for them when there are so many to be had for free, or at least on the cheap.

Nuthin's free 'round here.

California dollars are close to NYC dollars, but the exchange rate is still higher. :wink:

I might check out the 37 today just to see what condition it's in and maybe throw out a low-ball offer. It's a few minutes away.

make sure ya look throughly disapointed and unimpressed.

"oh, thats the bike?" then hit him with a $100 offer :lol: :lol: :lol: its a good starting point if ya really want it.
best of luck, but the guys are right, something better will come along for alot cheaper, the second ya make the purchase. :)
you should check out flea bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-HUFFY-GALAX ... otohosting

i know what he is talking about old bikes here are more expensive it seems. they are "hip" here with the younger crowd so there is a high demand for them. unlike when i went to Oklahoma and went to a few swap meets where really cool old tank bikes could be had at about half what they would go for in ca. i say the silver king is not a bad deal at all. the general is not bad either

Pass on the santa rosa bike, it's not worth that much. Yes on the silver king, but check the frame carefully and make sure it isn't cracked anywhere.

i think what a bike is worth is determined by the buyers, not the sellers. one of the things about old bikes that appeals to me most is that i can get them cheap or free, if something in the universe changed and old bikes were expensive and brand new ones were dirt cheap or free....all of my projects would be with brand new bikes!!
fast eddie

Larry said:
Pass on the santa rosa bike, it's not worth that much. Yes on the silver king, but check the frame carefully and make sure it isn't cracked anywhere.

I just looked at the Silver King. I didn't spend too much time looking at it because it is a 24". It appears to be complete with lots of surface rust. Also has a significantly damaged bottom of the front fender. At this point, to me, the bike is worth $150 max. If it was a 26", then I'd consider up to $300.

The guy wasn't there. His wife showed me the bike. I called the guy after I got in my car and explained to him that the 24" aren't as desireable as 26" bikes. He told me that he's not a bike guy and would appreciate any info on value. He's into old Cushman scooters and bought this bike with the intentions of repainting olive drab to display next to an Army themed Cushman that he has. He just never got around to it. I told that it would be a shame to repaint the bike. I suggested that he should clean it up and polish it as best he can and either display it or put on eBay. He then might get what he thinks the bike is worth. But, he told me that he doesn't do eBay. I gave him an offer of $150. He then told me that he's $300 into it and that's the lowest he'll go. We ended up talking about a possible trade for a gas pump and/or old oil lubesters that I have.

Let's see what happens...

I agree with Karfer... Cool old pre-70s bikes are harder to come by here on the west coast for whatever reason. The red on looks to be in decent shape, but I still don't feel it's woth 500. maybe 250. The silver king, too, may be a little overpriced, but not too bad. $300 wouldn't be too shabby, if it was exactly what you were looking for... One thing, though... it says one owner, but the guy has 300 into it... I know that bike didn't cost 300 in 1937, so how is this possible?

Latest posts

Back