Are you in?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"There is some controversy over whether or not the Wrights manufactured a bicycle called the "Wright Special." The only reference the Wrights made to this bicycle was in an announcement that appeared April 17, 1896: "For a number of months, the Wright Cycle Co. have been making plans to manufacture bicycles...we will have several samples out in a week or ten days, and will be ready to fill orders before the middle of next month. The WRIGHT SPECIAL will contain nothing but high grade material. " But the Wright Special never materialized."

(the following is fiction)
I have something special for the build off. Looks like a "W" followed by a patent number.

DSCI0061 - Copy.JPG

"There is some controversy over whether or not the Wrights manufactured a bicycle called the "Wright Special." The only reference the Wrights made to this bicycle was in an announcement that appeared April 17, 1896: "For a number of months, the Wright Cycle Co. have been making plans to manufacture bicycles...we will have several samples out in a week or ten days, and will be ready to fill orders before the middle of next month. The WRIGHT SPECIAL will contain nothing but high grade material. " But the Wright Special never materialized."

(the following is fiction)
I have something special for the build off. Looks like a "W" followed by a patent number.

View attachment 210746
If somebody ratrodded a confirmed Wright Brothers bicycle, the internet fireworks would be spectacular.

I'll bet there aren't any bikes associated with exploding penguins

I have a running list of build names and I always thought a great name for a black and white build would be Mr Popper

thinking this could be converted from a 3 speed 2 wheeler. to a 3 speed high speed 3 wheel grocery getter. I built this bike many years back with modes from stock. so it was easier for my mom to ride it. but since she cant ride it any more(not as good a balance as she once had) and I bought her a 3 wheeler. so I took over owner ship of this bike. plan buy another 26 x 1 3/8 or what ever size it is wheel. add a 3 wheel conversion kit. big ... basket, fenders. bam high speed skinny tire 3 wheeler grocery getter

Attachments

• DSC02676.JPG
    DSC02676.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
Here's my potential projects. I want to do the Skinny and off road for sure. If I find a suitable bike I may try a muscle bike too but nothing has come along in an affordable package yet. If I have time I may take a stab at something custom.

Elgin Moto-skinny. Still working out the wheel situation. I've got some Raleigh 3spd 26x1 3/8" I might use. I'd kind of like to use the 3spd in some 27" rims with white tires but that would require me to learn to build wheels. This may happen.
IMG_1287.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG

BMX! My Redline got stolen back in 91/92. It was my main transport all through high school. I'm going to build a similar bike just to fool around with. I still need to find some better parts for this one. The chrome is trashed on this frame so I won't need to take particularly good care of it. I miss my old bike. Here's the basic bones:
IMG_1289.JPG
IMG_1290.JPG

And a klunker. I'm still trying to decide on a frame. Here's my options:
Post war, don't know the make, maybe Monarch?
IMG_1291.JPG

A couple of prewar Shelbys:
IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_1293.JPG

Mid 30s American Flyer:
IMG_0628.JPG

And my late 30s C model. This one would get the most involved build with drum brakes. I don't have all the parts I need for this build yet but that could be remedied. And I need to learn to build wheels. :bigsmile:
IMG_1294.JPG

Of course I’m going to do muscle. I’ve had a project that’s been years in the making, with some serious design road blocks and parts problems (internal shifter problems) that have kept me from building it. But, I overcame the internal shifter problem, so set it aside to throw it into the next build off.

I have another muscle bike I was going to throw together with some parts I have. Nothing fancy. I just want to put parts on a frame and get the bike out of my hair.

Lastly, I do so much muscle that it’s probably boring. So, I found a muscle bike frame I was going to piece together into yet another muscle bike. However, since there is an BMX category, I think I’m going to try my hand at an MX build. We’ll see how that goes.

So, yeah… 3 entries this year from a guy who struggles to complete 1. But… new job allows new time.

Here's my potential projects. I want to do the Skinny and off road for sure. If I find a suitable bike I may try a muscle bike too but nothing has come along in an affordable package yet. If I have time I may take a stab at something custom.

Elgin Moto-skinny. Still working out the wheel situation. I've got some Raleigh 3spd 26x1 3/8" I might use. I'd kind of like to use the 3spd in some 27" rims with white tires but that would require me to learn to build wheels. This may happen.
View attachment 210773View attachment 210774

BMX! My Redline got stolen back in 91/92. It was my main transport all through high school. I'm going to build a similar bike just to fool around with. I still need to find some better parts for this one. The chrome is trashed on this frame so I won't need to take particularly good care of it. I miss my old bike. Here's the basic bones:View attachment 210776View attachment 210777

And a klunker. I'm still trying to decide on a frame. Here's my options:
Post war, don't know the make, maybe Monarch?
View attachment 210778

A couple of prewar Shelbys:View attachment 210779View attachment 210780

Mid 30s American Flyer:
View attachment 210782

And my late 30s C model. This one would get the most involved build with drum brakes. I don't have all the parts I need for this build yet but that could be remedied. And I need to learn to build wheels. :bigsmile:View attachment 210781
The black one is an AMF from the mid 50's.

Latest posts

Back