ARISE! Sir Loin of Beef hit's the pavement!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sir Loin of Beef

Thanks for the link to the tires. I'm going to keep an eye out for my own set.. the bike looks great !

Wow! I have a English 3speed in my future (next year) that will have to be painted... Yours cleaned up wicked nice! Did you wax it? Also, were those rims just wire brushed? Thanks.

I want the headlight mounted lower so I took a rusty old Raleigh headlight bracket and rebent it.

P1011712.jpg

The bearing race will sit on top.

P1011714.jpg

P1011715.jpg

I will tack weld the bearing race to it to make it a one piece unit. I'm also going to weld a tab on the back to allow me to utilize the brake mounting bolt to secure it.

quicksilver said:
Wow! I have a English 3speed in my future (next year) that will have to be painted... Yours cleaned up wicked nice! Did you wax it? Also, were those rims just wire brushed? Thanks.

I pulled this frame from a dumpster. I used 'No. 7' rubbing and polishing compound. I'll wax it when I'm done. Those wheels aren't the ones in that are on the before picture. They are a set from a 1958 Humber as is the fork, chain ring, headlight and seat. I used bronze wool and wd-40 on them. I like the English 3 speeds. I just picked up a 1964 Dunelt (it's in fresh finds) and I'm going to look at an early Raleigh sport tomorrow.

I started building the Aluminum tool box that will hang off the back seat. First I calculated the stretch out, (Pi x Dia) or 3.14 x 3.5 = 10.99. So I cut a piece of 1/8" aluminum 11" x 7.5" and cut my opening. I rolled it in my roller and beveled the edges.
I then used a hole saw in a drill press to cut the end pieces. I got those welded on and that's about it.

P1011699.jpg

I still have some welding to do. I couldn't locate aluminum tubing the diameter I wantted which is why I decided to fabricate it.

P1011700.jpg

I think that is the first Aluminum I have seen welded here. Madskillz

Thanks guys. I threw the math in too so the school aged kids can see that math class ain't a waste of time.

I finished welding the aluminum tool box and rolled a lid for it. I have to get to the leather shop to finish it.

P1011703.jpg

Still needs polishing.

P1011701.jpg

I deided to start on the truss rods until I get a chance to go to the leather store to get what I need to finish the tool box. I radiused some Stainless Steel tubing for these. I also need to mock up a neck mount for them also.

Shoe box mock up.

P1011780.jpg

I found this bike in a curb side pile. I saw the brake levers and knew instantly where they would go.

P1011768.jpg

Here.

P1011781.jpg

Mark and cut the other side.

P1011782.jpg

I love two face tape.

P1011785.jpg

Back 2 paces.

P1011784.jpg

Rotate.

P1011786-1.jpg

Back 2 paces.

P1011787-1.jpg

Lots more work to do.

NICE!..........Sad part is, No one's going to realize all the work (subtle) that went into fabbing the front.

KOTA said:
NICE!..........Sad part is, No one's going to realize all the work (subtle) that went into fabbing the front.

I find that 'less is more' is a good philosophy and I ride my bikes quite a bit. That Hercules I just built has at least a hundred miles on it and the weather has been so-so. My wife and I went for a 9 mile ride monday. I rode my '61 Raleigh on that ride.

KOTA said:
NICE!..........No one's going to realize all the work (subtle) that went into fabbing the front.
hes absolutely right! but then again ive always gone with the opinion that if they cant tell i did it i must be doing something right :wink:

Latest posts

Back