At what point does this hobby become unhealthy?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I won a reproduction Schwinn Phantom sign on ebay from a local seller. I had no idea what he was into and he was nice enough to let me stop at his farm to pick the sign up and save on shipping. Arriving at the farm I noticed a handful of old bikes being used as planters and yard art. I mentioned that the bikes made for some nice decoration pieces and he said that they were just some junk bikes and that he had many more in the barns and machine shed.
I showed some interest and he said that he could take me on a tour if I had the time. Now when I'm given the chance to check out some bikes I never ask if they are for sale as it seems a bit rude to me. I think that he picked up on the fact that I wasn't going to pester him about buying anything so after checking out the garage by the house which had about 20 or so tank bikes he offered to show me everything else.
In the machine shed he had set up a shop where bikes were lined about 20 across and 5 deep or so, my jaw must have dropped as he started to chuckle at my look of amazement. He told me that these were the ones that he was slowly restoring and at that point showed me some of his finished work which was very nice.
At this point I thought that the tour was over and was going say thanks and head out when he asked me if I wanted to see anymore. Anymore? How could there be more bikes on top of the ones that I had already seen? One half of the pole building had a second floor with some old wooden steps leading to a plywood door. Behind the door with front wheels cocked there had to be at least 100 pre-war bikes, many of them with names that I had never heard of before.
I was then asked if I wanted to check out the haymow in the large dairy barn which was across the farmyard. We headed into the barn and up some more stairs to the stash that he had up there. I still can't believe what I saw and there is no way that I could count all of the bird dropping covered bikes were up there lined up in even rows and packed tight. My rough guess is that he has maybe a thousand bikes on the property.
I asked him when he started collecting an he told me that he sold a couple of old bikes to a friend years ago and when the friend asked if he had anymore he became suspicious and asked what he was doing with them. The friend bragged that he was selling them at shows and making a lot of money on them. That day forward he bought every old bike that he could find so his ex-friend couldn't get them. I was always curious why pre-war bikes were so hard to find in Green Bay and here was the answer right before my eyes.
As it turns out since then I have run into some bike collectors that are very familiar with him and if there is an auction and he knows that you are interested in a bike he will outbid you just out of spite whether he really wants the bike or not. The kicker is that as I was getting into the car I told him that he really had a nice place to ride as a long dead end road headed up into the hills and looked like a great place to ride. He laughed and said "ride?" I don't ride em' I'm too old and fat for that I just like to work on them and have them around".

We have a hoarder that lives near me. He buys every bike he sees if he can steal it for cheap. Three good size garages stuffed full. Try to buy one off of him and nothing is for sale, or, you better have deep pockets because the price will be 10X normal. His stuff is priceless and your stuff if worthless junk. I got into it with him one day a few years ago...the last day I ever went over there... and ended up telling him, "You can just keep your overpriced bike stuff. When you kick the bucket, I'll come back and buy whatever I want for 10-cents on the dollar at the big auction your wife's going to have." :p (evil grin) Gary

yeah. he might just toss them all in a big hole with his casket.. :shock: :cry:

It can be seen in Steve Mcqueen's collection of early Harleys. He spent lots getting old bikes and restoring them. He died and they just set up and auction and moved them all. The flea market by my house has about 20 of them and he said he got them for pennies on the dollar. Love collectors...they save alot of legwork. :wink:

deorman said:
Some day, there will be an estate sale. :|

This will probably be the case with this guy. I asked him if he ever considered offering the bikes to a museum or just start one on his own. He told me that his sons had no interest in bikes whatsoever and that the local scrap collectors will have a hayday when he dies. It feels kind of weird having this many vintage bikes piled up just five miles from my house.

That is sad indeed. So many cool bikes that would be great to cruise around on.

But you guys are right, there will be a sale once he is gone. Could go many ways though. The family might call a scrap yard, have a yard sale, estate auction, or????? Hopefully one collector wount get the chance to buy them all. Then the hoard just changes hands and everything that is sold will be at top dollar. At least an auction type sale would allow many local guys to buy numerous pieces.

Now, a totally different answer to "When does it become unhealthy"? When you get mad (I mean really angry) about the deal you just missed, or you lose sleep stressing out about bike stuff, that is just unhealthy. I've been on the fringes of that behavior at times. Then I just step back and take a break from the nonsense for a few days. It's just a hobby. When you try and make it a business, the fun goes away.

Dan

Yeah, before the economy 'tanked', I was doing quite well flipping bikes I'd find at the dump or yard sales. Now it seems that everyone's caught on. There are hardly any decent bikes being tossed except the chain store variety. I used to stress and try to be the first one at the dump to grab anything good before anyone else. Now I look at it like this, if I find something cool, if not oh well....I got lucky when I found my Flightliner and just last week I found a Concord 12 speed in good shape. The universe will drop one on ya if it wants, you can't force it. :wink:

Concord1.jpg

Concord3.jpg

wow, what a story. i felt like this was the way i was going at one time, and if i ever lose my wife, i will probably end up. all those bikes just sitting there. i mean, i used to get alot of bikes, but after about 30, i have to let a few go and last summer i counted all the bikes i ever owned and its about 110. as for all those bikes there, all i can say, is find a way to get yourself in the will. :lol:

Latest posts

Back