Aussie floods - you okay Bean?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know how much you guys might have heard, but in Australia we've got floods basically up and down the entire east coast :shock: To put it in comparison, the area under flood is the same size as Germany and France combined!

This gives you some idea of the speed at which some of the flooding has hit, and the strength of the water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJg2asABprc

287280-flash-floods-toowoomba.jpg

051504-grantham-bridge-cars.jpg

Brisbane City, the 2nd largest city in Australia, is badly flooded

367084-qld-floods-jan-13.jpg

366607-qld-floods-jan-13.jpg

365694-qld-floods-jan-13.jpg

982716-flood-salisbury-air.jpg

Before
215632-apartments-on-sandford-road-st-lucia-on-thursday-morning-after-the-4am-high-tide.jpg

216340-apartments-on-sandford-road-st-lucia-on-thursday-morning-after-the-4am-high-tide.jpg

216000-flooding-in-ipswich-coles-supermarket-in-brisbane-st-ipswich.jpg

214870-flooding-in-ipswich-coles-supermarket-in-brisbane-st-ipswich.jpg

378290-floods-qld.jpg

Rockhampton where forum member Bean lives has been hit hard - hope your doing okay mate!
653395-rockhampton-floods.jpg

273507-rockhampton-floods%20Jan%202011_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg

Brisbane's on the news here constantly...
It's probably as big as 4 or 5 of the biggest cities in Holland combined. (the amount of citizens..)

I must say, it is an awesome sight... but in a bad way ofcourse.
We have floodproblems over here in Holland too, but on a much much smaller scale. There has been a lot of snow here and in surrounding countries past month, and Holland is now battling the melted snow/water from all those countries... Germany/Belgium/Luxemburg. Only a few people in Holland had to evacuate. No casualties though.
Just inconvenience.

Good luck to the Ozzies!

I'm fine thanks hewey......high and dry. Although there has been a large amount of water in Rockhampton, we get plenty of warning and people are usually well prepared. The media (as usual) and our idiot Mayor have made things out to be far worse than they really are here in Rocky.......I would estimate less than 20 houses with water above the floorboards (the media were reporting of over 400). Lots with water around them, but most of the houses in the lower areas are high blocked on stumps.
I was out for my morning ride when the Fitzroy was at it's peak, when a news producer approached me and asked if I knew of any areas that looked "worse" than where they were filming, because they wanted to get the "best" footage. In the best Aussie tradition, I told him to "go away" :wink: .

The water and flooding in Rockhampton is quite insignificant though compared to Toowoomba, the Lockyer Valley, and now Brisbane. The loss of lives and amount of people still missing is tragic, and something I hope we don't have to experience again.

Latest posts

Back