Axeman88 from Schwinn's old Hometown

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living on the northwest side of Chicago, near Irving Park and Elston Ave, I got back into bicycling a couple of months ago, when a left turning new driver, took out my Royal Enfield motorcycle. Rather than rush into another motorbike, I dug out one of the old classic bikes I'd collected over the years, and now I'm cycling to work, and around the hood. Just as fun as I remember from years ago, but now it seems quite a bit more dangerous.

I'm interested in classic bikes and restorations and/or resto-mods, and/or conversions with chinese gas engines and electric systems. I got a roomful of old bikes to play with. This seems like the place to be!

giphy (5).gif

Welcome!

You're right, the roads are more dangerous today as compared to 20 years or so ago. Driver's seem to be different, less consideration for others on the road. I watch like a hawk when sharing the road with cars.

There's sections here for motorized bikes. I plan on going electric but need to see how it works for others and get more info than the advertisements to see how well they do. The Chinese gas engines don't seem to cut it, yet. I expect to see a decent 4 cycle gas engine in the near future, made by Honda or Suzuki, or one of the established brands.

A little Honda thumper would be mint! Axeman, your story sounds like mine, rehab from motorcycle crash brought me back to cycling. I feel safer on the bicycle than I did on the motorcycle, I guess I feel more able to evade on my bike.

Just as fun as I remember from years ago, but now it seems quite a bit more dangerous.
This seems like the place to be!
Drivers who are distracted and/or just plain 'ol selfish people make things dangerous for any "at risk" road users such as pedestrians and bicyclists. Just adding to the numbers of us out there helps and is the simplest form of advocacy, so welcome back to advocating and having fun while doing so.

It is the right place to be. Do what *you* enjoy and it can be appreciated instead of degraded in this realm.

Living on the northwest side of Chicago, near Irving Park and Elston Ave, I got back into bicycling a couple of months ago, when a left turning new driver, took out my Royal Enfield motorcycle. Rather than rush into another motorbike, I dug out one of the old classic bikes I'd collected over the years, and now I'm cycling to work, and around the hood. Just as fun as I remember from years ago, but now it seems quite a bit more dangerous.

I'm interested in classic bikes and restorations and/or resto-mods, and/or conversions with chinese gas engines and electric systems. I got a roomful of old bikes to play with. This seems like the place to be!
If you haven't already connected, send @Skipton a message to head out for a ride with the Chicago Taildraggers.

CTD.jpg

Latest posts

Back