Bad Idea #22

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While in the process of hunting used bikes for parts for another project I came across this nearly complete but unassembled for a heck of a deal. My current mountain bikes are a little too easy, so this is being converted to a rated out single speed, rim brake, rigid fork monstrosity of a trail bike lol. I converted the freewheel gears over to a single speed and started stripping the frame. I'll have more pictures up this weekend when I get it mocked up.
Screenshot_20220526-111851_Gallery.jpg

It's nice to see a retro cruiser that isn't cantilever, and the redline tires are a nice touch. Some good potential there!
The fender looks like it took a heck of a wallop, is the back wheel true?

*I ride a modern ish cantilever ratrod on easy trails.

It's nice to see a retro cruiser that isn't cantilever, and the redline tires are a nice touch. Some good potential there!
The fender looks like it took a heck of a wallop, is the back wheel true?

*I ride a modern ish cantilever ratrod on easy trails.
Tru-Dat! Wheels and tires on that thing are AWESOME!!!!!

Update on the build, "most" of the paint is off and it is a steel frame so should patina nicely. Still debating on where I'm going with seat and bars. Both wheels look true at the moment, rubber is warped though so sadly going to be loosing the pretty red line. Going back on shift in the morning so I'll be back at it in a few days when I get home
20220528_161134.jpg

Those frames always remind me of 1950s Monarks a little.

Great start, no rust, there's a change. That's a good looking frame.

I woulda scuffed the powder coat and used it as primer, that stuff is a bear to get off.

Update to the build (no pictures, finished up too late last night lol) almost have all of the paint removed from the frame. Going to clear coat the steel after I polish. Biggest issue I've run into is the cups on the head tube seem to be seated incorrectly and can't seem to get them removed, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it though. Most likely using the square taper crank I removed from my last project for this one.

Update to the build (no pictures, finished up too late last night lol) almost have all of the paint removed from the frame. Going to clear coat the steel after I polish. Biggest issue I've run into is the cups on the head tube seem to be seated incorrectly and can't seem to get them removed, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it though. Most likely using the square taper crank I removed from my last project for this one.
I made my own headset cup removal tube from some galvanized conduit. Make three or four cuts into one end of the conduit, about 1 - 1 1/4" long. Then grab with a pliers and 'splay' the ends out just enough so they will be about the same I.D. (inside diameter) as the head tube itself.

Pull the conduit through one end of the head tube, inserting the factory / non-cut end first. The splayed end will bend enough to pull through (twist and turn as you pull) and then the splays will open up against the inside of the head tube. Set the tool up against the cup and strike with a hammer on the factory end. I like using my hand mall, has larger surface area so it doesn't damage the pipe end. Less room for error too. :grin:

https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threa...-and-new-rat-isfaction-pg-7.96367/post-962961

Update on the build. I abandoned the quest to remove all the paint, it was an impossible task. So I sprayed it a hammered copper and clear coated it. Everything was fine until I went to assemble...head tube on the fork was bent. In the process of straightening it I collapsed it so it's now tossed and new build has no front brakes lol I had a done fork from another restoration project that didn't work there, but does fit this bike and holds the 27.5 wheel, so next time I'm home gotta clean it up and fix all the paint scuffs from today
20220612_161338.jpg

Attachments

• 20220612_161404.jpg
    20220612_161404.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20220612_181006.jpg
    20220612_181006.jpg
    855.1 KB · Views: 34
That hammered copper looks cool
The rat trap is cool too

ANY UPDATES???!!!

TICK TOCK