BAD NEWS: My Twisted Take on a Western Flyer Newsboy Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just brought home this Western Flyer Newsboy Special from Buddy's Pedal Fest 2021 just earlier this weekend. I'd been looking for the middleweight version of this bike, most commonly known as a Columbia Firebolt, for a while now. Imagine my surprise when I learned that they also made this style of bike as a heavy-duty balloon tire bike as well! I didn't even know this bike was available as a balloon tire bike! I traded a Murray MX bike and $125 for it, which is no small amount, but for a bike on my "Bicycle Bucket List," I think it was worth it.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it just yet, but I don't exactly plan to just leave it as is. It's a good-looking bike as is, but like most everything else, I see room for improvement. I've already got 2 stock red bikes as is, and I don't need or want a third. Plus, this frame has a lot of potential for customization. I don't have an absolute plan for it just yet, but I'm thinking it'd look great with the old school hot rod treatment: satin black with gloss/metallic red accents, white pinstripes, a fat whitewall rear tire and a skinnier front whitewall tire. For now though, I'm just slapping a new chain and some other wheels and tires on it, so I can ride it while I figure out my plan for it.

Here are all the pictures I took of the bike in its "as found" condition. There are a lot of these photos, over 70 in fact, so I'll break this down into a few separate posts.
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_1.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_2.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_3.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_4.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_5.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_6.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_7.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_8.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_9.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_10.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_11.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_12.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_13.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_14.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_15.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_16.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_17.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_18.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_19.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_20.jpg

Last edited:
Here's how Bad News looks after I slapped on a new chain and some 26" x 2.35" tires I had laying around. It creaks and groans as I ride it, but I think most of the noise is from the old seat more than anything. It's not perfect, but it's a rider. Best of all, I don't have to worry about those old dry-rotted Goodyears exploding into a million pieces as I cruise around the neighborhood.
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_rideable_1.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_rideable_2.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_rideable_3.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_rideable_4.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_rideable_5.jpg

The master link on my chain broke yesterday, so I decided to use that as an excuse to start mocking up parts on this bike. First thing I tried was removing the fenders and mounting a flipped rat trap springer fork onto the bike. I couldn't get the little front rack thing off, as the bolt is too long to pull out without removing the spring assembly from the fork, so I just left it on. I was hoping I'd like this more than I do, but it just looks weird to me.
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_1.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_2.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_3.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_4.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_5.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_6.jpg

Next, I tried mounting my Monark springer fork to the bike. It's got potential, but I'm still not sure...
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_7.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_8.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_9.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_10.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_11.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_12.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_13.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_14.jpg

I put the rear fender back on, which made the space between the fender and the seat tube match the space between the front tire and the down tube. It's not bad, but I still don't quite know what I want here. I'll have to keep tinkering with it.
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_15.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_16.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_17.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_18.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_19.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_parts_mockup_20.jpg

I like the choice of the Monark springer (although I am biased towards it, as they are my favorite).
The flipped rat trap (aside from being dangerous for famously causing end overs when flipped) just isn’t ‘right’ for this bike, IMHO.
The perfect choice would be a Columbia springer, but the Monark is a great alternative.

I think the correct fork height is essential for the look of this frame. The rat trap brings the front down too low, making that long horizontal line not horizontal.
I agree on the first part, but that line is not horizontal. It has a slight rake, at about 2.5 degrees.
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_rake.jpg

I'd really love to exaggerate that rake if I can, but the rat trap springer just makes the wheelbase look funky, and the fork just doesn't really match the frame. Probably doesn't help that I'm not using a skinnier wheel and tire up front. I do like how on the stock bike, the straight bars point right about at the top of the front tire. Kind of a neat touch that you don't see with the fender on.

I like the choice of the Monark springer (although I am biased towards it, as they are my favorite).
The flipped rat trap (aside from being dangerous for famously causing end overs when flipped) just isn’t ‘right’ for this bike, IMHO.
The perfect choice would be a Columbia springer, but the Monark is a great alternative.
I do like the Monark springer fork, but I almost feel like it interrupts the line that the straight bars provide.
I agree with you on the rat trap springer; it's not the one for this bike.
As cool as a Columbia springer fork would be, I feel it would busy up the design too much. I want a look that says "fast" and "aggressive." A Columbia springer looks more industrial and heavy-duty.

I almost feel like just having a stock-style solid fork is the way to go, but I've barely even begun to mock up parts. I still have plenty of parts and ideas to play around with before I commit to anything.

Latest posts

Back