Balloon tire fixie upgrade

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone here put a multi=speed cassette on a classic balloon tire frame?
How did you go about expanding the drop outs?

Thanks

Well the short answer is "yes!"
The long answer is don't use a frame that you're worried about destroying! A good ol heavy tube Schwinn will flex like mad, a lesser made frame may bend/buckle.

There's few home made spreader ideas in the how to threads and in individual build threads.

Not sure what to seach for to find them.

Can be accomplished with a threaded rod, a few nuts and washers, and maybe a measuring tape. You'll have to spread beyond the width you need because it'll spring back a bit
maxresdefault.jpg

Ugg, I feel like such a hack now but a 2x4 through the frame and strap/clamp the bike to a workbench and pry, flip and repeat. Little bits at a time and string the frame to make sure I keep it straight but that's how I've been doing it.

Middleweight, not ballooner, but same idea. I just used a wider axle that I had and axle nuts to spread it, same as a threaded rod. I put a 6-speed freewheel on and set it so it didn't have to be dished, which made it wider than necessary.

I also use a 2 x 4 hammered in on old steel frames. A little at a time. They can take a beating. The dropouts must be in line (perfectly perpendicular) with the axle, no slant. I stay low tech and use a big adjustable wrench to align the dropouts.

Definitely seen this a few times here. LocoJoe has a video on a Schwinn cruiser that was turned into a gravel bike.

Latest posts

Back