Bamboozle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a few days, the rust is all dried up and comes off fairly easily. While deciding what color to paint it, I remembered this:
1661048637175.png

They substituted bamboo for the tubes. The tubes on this frame are long would look like bamboo and the lugs would be shiny bare metal or silver. I'll give it a shot and see how it looks, with added rings like my cane.

06 Aug cane.jpg

Since my class two entry is painted like bamboo, I might as well do this the same way. The springer is compatible with both so it'll go on, but not for the official entry, Scurf already has the springer.
While I'm at it, the apes might look good painted like bamboo also.

I gave the saddlebags some more thought and now am thinking of two tanks, like cylinders with side doors that open for stowage. Or maybe two coolers if they are small enough. I'll have to look and see what I can find. I've got 28" of space from the seat to the end of the rear tire.
Coolers in your climate sounds great! Stock with Red Horse! :)

I spent a couple hours wire wheeling this frame. As usual, the bare metal look is enticing, especially with the patina this thing has. Never seen any paint and probably made back in the 80's. I couldn't find any markings at all, except on the dropouts, Suntour GS. The lugs have a V, but I can't find any info on them.
Base coat tomorrow.
22 Aug frame2.jpg

22 Aug frame.jpg

This bike will have a springer. I mixed up some paint for the base coat after I painted the lugs silver. Luckily it matches up to the fork the first try.
The first coat always looks too thin but the second coat usually smooths everything out. I'll let this dry for a couple hours then give it one more base coat before adding the twine rings.

23 Aug paint2.jpg

23 Aug paint.jpg

I love that you are doing the bamboo treatment to this bike too.

I tied on the twine and glued the ends The smaller diameter tubes have the rings a little smaller and closer together like real bamboo would. I used a better glue, wood glue this time instead of Elmer's school glue. I noticed the patina coming through the 3 layers of paint, but those dots are the same color as the bamboo would have so they will stay. I'll add the darker streaks later after the glue dries. It's an advantage to use these paints with a brush as I don't have a good place to spray paint now that the house is complete. Later when it's time to clear coat, I do that little by little by the exhaust fan.

I ordered some fabric to cover the seats and seat backs. Some kind of faux fur. I'll see what I have when it gets here.

24 Aug paint.jpg

24 Aug glue.jpg

24 Aug handlebars.jpg

The clear is done. I'm going to get some parts, I still need a longer brake cable for the second brake, 6' wasn't long enough. Brake levers also are needed, I took both of them for my wife's bike a couple months ago. Maybe a complete set of brakes.

25 Aug clearcoat.jpg

This is beyond cool!!!

I scored a bunch of parts for this build and others. The shops had a cable long enough and plenty of brake parts. I can go with black or red brakes. My pedal straps showed up, they go on the pedals to hold my feet. On a recumbent that's good. I mocked it up and see I need to trim the v brake bosses off the fork to clear the springer fork. I also picked up two rear stands. I won't have to modify them much, just where they mount up to the axle.
1661428896971.png

I'm still waiting for the chain tensioner and the faux fur for the seats.
I tried the red brakes and handle grips to go along with the red hub and axle nuts. I think I'll go with black and see how that looks. I have an old pair of hard plastic grips that could be painted to look like wood.
I need to get some metal rods and fab up the seat supports.

25 Aug mockup.jpg

Latest posts

Back