Bamboozle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked all over, no rocket engines around here. I'll have to rely on pedal power.
No progress this week, but I'm working on some ideas for a rear rack or fender.

I mocked up the seats for a look. I think I need to make a base for it to sit on and bolt that to the frame. The bottom holes of the sissy bars can bolt to the base. Then have a couple of struts from the seat backs to the seat stays for support. The attachment brackets for the normal seat post should somehow also attach to the base.

14 July Sleaze.jpg

I went back to work on the seat mounting dilemma. I think I'll use a bracket for the front and rear center mounts and run struts down from the outer sissy bar ends to the middle bar of the frame. The lower ones would have the strut hit the chain. Then have brackets and a couple more struts run from the seat back to brackets on the the seat stays. I need it all adjustable.
Seats are bolted together.
21 July seats.jpg

The outer bars will get struts leading down to the frame. The center bars will get a bracket right there to attach to the top bar. Those should give enough lateral support.
21 July seats2.jpg

Then the seat backs will get support from struts attached to the rear of the frame. The seat backs will be more reclined than in this picture.

21 July seats3.jpg

Today I was visiting a museum on the north German countryside and saw this little scooter on display.
IMG_20220724_172421299.jpg

IMG_20220724_172438518.jpg

I immediately thought of your first propulsion concept. I know, that you went another route in the meantime but nevertheless I wanted to post the pictures I took in your thread, as they fit to the original concept of your ride. And maybe you can use the concept of the braking mechanism for your scurf build 😉

So here we go with the close ups:
IMG_20220724_172530601.jpg
IMG_20220724_172538241.jpg
IMG_20220724_172544551.jpg

IMG_20220724_172610886.jpg
IMG_20220724_172623889.jpg
IMG_20220724_172655918.jpg
IMG_20220724_172705057.jpg
IMG_20220724_172720283.jpg

IMG_20220724_172728757.jpg

Today I was visiting a museum on the north German countryside and saw this little scooter on display.
View attachment 201741
View attachment 201742
I immediately thought of your first propulsion concept. I know, that you went another route in the meantime but nevertheless I wanted to post the pictures I took in your thread, as they fit to the original concept of your ride. And maybe you can use the concept of the braking mechanism for your scurf build 😉

So here we go with the close ups:
View attachment 201743View attachment 201744View attachment 201745
View attachment 201746View attachment 201747View attachment 201748View attachment 201749View attachment 201750
View attachment 201751
I found some more info about it. It's the Honda Kick'N' Go, released 1974.

I like your double barrel saddle mockups and plans
Looking good.

Back to work on this. I'm using nuts and bolts laying around but they will all get the right size later. The front bracket is from a tensioner made for motorized bikes. It allows a few inches of height changes. I have it set as high as it goes. The board is in there just to mock up the rear height. It's set that far up the frame so I can reach the pedals. Work on the rear brackets is next.
1 Aug seats.jpg

That looks cool and comfy

I switched the seat mounts and still need to do the supports, but it sits better. My dual headlights came in while I was out getting more clearcoat. I need to do something in the rear that's also dual something.
10 Aug lights.jpg

They had a big clock I couldn't pass up to go in the shop.

I think I'll do two long wooden boxes like saddlebags in the rear. I'll need to have some kind of graphic on each side. I can copy one of these and have it put on vinyl, then glued to the sides. I'm leaning toward the rat fink.
11 Aug patch.jpg

11 Aug sleazy image.jpg

I still have to make supports, but I'm going to do rust removal first. I've read up on different methods and will try the using vinegar first. I need to strip it down to the bare frame. I'm hoping to find some markings or numbers of some kind.

14 Aug  mockup.jpg

With Scurf done, I can focus on this build. I tore it down and see I'll need a new 10' chain and will probably get a tensioner instead of using the old derailleur. And a long brake cable, the new ones were too short at 6'.
15 Aug teardown.jpg

The method I'm using to take off the rust is one I found online a few months ago. I can't find that video again, but remember how it went. Vinegar and paper towels I've been saving from drying potatoes and peanuts over the last couple months are all that was needed. Now I just wait until it's completely dry and scrub the paper off. It looked easy and effective on the video. Since this frame has never seen paint it should work well.
15 Aug prep.jpg

I just coated the frame with vinegar then added soaked pieces of paper towel.

15 Aug vinegar wrap.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how the vinegar paper mache works.
I like the idea of saddle boxes

I gave the saddlebags some more thought and now am thinking of two tanks, like cylinders with side doors that open for stowage. Or maybe two coolers if they are small enough. I'll have to look and see what I can find. I've got 28" of space from the seat to the end of the rear tire.

I took the paper off and checked it. It's a big smelly mess, but the rust is softened up, like old grease and easy to take off with a wire brush.
16 Aug rust1.jpg

16 Aug rust2.jpg

We're having some remodeling done on the house so the wire brush will wait a couple days or so. I ordered up a new tensioner for the chain, that's about it for the next few days.

Latest posts

Back