Band brake in front?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m curious about band brakes. Sheldon Brown claimed you should never have them on the front wheel. However, a few years back St. Louis used to have tons of rental bikes floating around (that were replaced later by electric scooters) that had band brakes in front. I don’t always agree with the late bike guru but he was THE guy when it came to anything bicycle related.
Have you folks used a band brake in front? If it can stop a mini bike clutch, surely it can stop a front wheel…right?

I have used them on front wheels and remember reading Sheldon's advice years ago. It sounded to me like the brake action wasn't controllable enough because of the band. It sounded like it would lock up the front wheel. But I never had any problem and have trouble getting enough braking action from any of the band brakes I've used. Even with front and rear band brakes I need more stopping power on this bike, Riff Ratt:

31 May 22.jpg

Latest posts

Back