Bare Bonnie(ville) ... what a trip....... moving into the finished builds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fenders, man. Potentially the coolest bike on the planet.

furyus

Thanks everyone I wish I had more build pic. updates at this time. I was hoping to get fenders wrapped up and mounted this weekend but after sitting on my favorite thinkin/drinkin stool tonight staring at it planning my next moves I realize while I can weld fenders up I can not mount or trim bottoms until I get my crank/sprocket installed with chain to find out exactly where the rear wheel sits and fit rear fender accordingly, so until I get the now decided custom sprocket in my hands fenders wont be mounted but will move on to the seat design and start modifying the stem to mount the adjustable bars this weekend.
the 'ol thinkin/drinkin stool where ideas are born :D

This is coming along nicely! Beautiful bike. Just don't ride it in the rain, or your gonna get wet! (unless you ride it backwards). Kidding aside, the silver bikes and moonies in this build off are everywhere, and of course I am quite partial to silver. Watching!!:thumbsup:

Are you going to be able to get the wheels in and out of the fenders once they are welded and mounted? On my bike, I have to let the air out of the tire and force it into the fender on the rear. Yours look even tighter than mine!

Yes its going to be really tight! and yes air out squeeze them in I may have to trim slightly more yet once there welded but am going to make them as tight as possible. 2nd possibility yet is make them both 2 piece with seam hidden within fork area and rear bottom stay that yet to be decided unless I cannot for sure make the one piece work where I am happy with the wrap around where I want it, fenders will be the toughest part of this build but determined to make them work! Thanks

I was thinking about the two piece option also. Part of my tight fit is the axel hitting the dropouts and pushing the wheel further into the fender. It looks like yours will not be a problem with the axel on the rear, but the front might give you some grief.

I was thinking about the two piece option also. Part of my tight fit is the axel hitting the dropouts and pushing the wheel further into the fender. It looks like yours will not be a problem with the axel on the rear, but the front might give you some grief.

I plan on making fender mounts to frame that I can attach after fender is wrapped around tire then slide both tire and fender together into rear and front at the same time so I think that will help me some on that? will see

Those are cool taillights could be mounted mid fender. I bought this one before the build began thinking it would be cool on it but now I really think it draws attention away from the fork and makes it look cluttered so its out. I am leaning more towards just clean simpler lines maybe? gots some time to think. Thanks
This is a pic of the car we would take to Bonneville and the dry lakes. (We run a '32 roadster now) One thing you'll notice is most vehicles don't run headlights. They're just something to cause drag on the car or bike. Keep it smooth and streamlined. I'm loving this build! Can't wait to see it finished.

little progress today so far mocking more things up did chose this stem I found in the stash because it already had a 1/2" hole in it, I just tacked a cutoff bolt in the stem and piece of pipe for a spacer to get an idea how it would work, need to get a grade 8 bolt a correct size spacer and a couple roll pins to also pin it after I get bolt welded in solid to do it correct, with all my crap I never seem to have what I need on hand:rolleyes:

now starting on fenders again get them welded up work them some more for radius and start working on my idea on no fender braces in rear and as mentioned before only one in front following the angle of rear bottom stay
1/2 wide 1/8 thick flat stock

I Really like the bars! It's hard to say which position looks best from one profile shot. I'm sure it looks different from different perspectives. The great thing is that you don't have to settle on one, just change it when you want to!

BTW, will regular diameter grips work or is it an odd size?

So probably wondering whats up with the 1/8".
plan is to roll them to inside fender radius then weld to fender. pretty sure that the 1/8 will give enough stability to fenders that when mounted to frame in 2 spots it wont flex sideways or not much. that's the plan for now see if it works!

tried to get this in one post but I keep getting internal errors pop up.

Last edited:
Bars and seat mock ups look great!
This is one of my fave build this year so far.

I Really like the bars! It's hard to say which position looks best from one profile shot. I'm sure it looks different from different perspectives. The great thing is that you don't have to settle on one, just change it when you want to!

BTW, will regular diameter grips work or is it an odd size?

Thanks, Does look diff from every angle didn't want to show all my basement clutter in background:) need to get it out into the garage where all my tools are and outside to get different angle shots plus I am sick of going up and down the stairs.
Yea bars are bigger which is the down side but I do have a couple different pairs that will fit and looking for cooler ones that will work.

Last edited:
I was able to easily put some of Thomson grips on my 1" bars last year and Ian has some cool styles and colors.

another seat option can get it back farther and sit lower with the no front spring which I think looks better but always open to opinions ;) minus the pedal support in rear:wink1: and looking at the pic just now if I sink the stem farther down may look better yet.

Last edited:
That 1/2" x 1/8" flat stock is great to work with....even if you are like me and don't have the welding skills / tools! Drills out nicely, bends in the vise easily, and can be ground and shaped on a grinder. I used it for my custom wood fenders for my fat bike, and to hold the Grain Belt cooler with rack (and beer, of course) on Beer Boy Delivery....
IMG_20150511_130555.jpg

Latest posts

Back