Basement find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recent purchase today for a grand total of 1- 12pack of Diet Pepsi. A coworker found out I like building bikes and told me about a couple he had in the basement of the old house he bought. Said I could have them for a 6 pack of Diet Pepsi, but I felt generous and gave him a 12 pack
6411F3BE-05A7-48F4-8275-78A3FD7609AE.jpeg
60E36DE4-D172-4BB6-BF53-8FA2A0061885.jpeg
not sure what brand the boys is, but it’s early.

The mens is a Columbia Newsboy Special. I forget how early they made the frame, but i know they continued making it into the 70s

That's a perfect example of the difference between boys and girls. The girl's bike is original and in good condition. No scuffs on the seat, it was never thrown down when done riding. Even has the original plastic basket. From the 60's.
The boy's has mismatched rims, replacement seat, and a bent fork. Fenders and chain guard gone too. But it's a keeper, as Kingfish said, a Newsboy Special. Looks like good tires. I had a 55 frame that I sold and later became a build here, the Pepperbox Special several years back by Missing Link.
1638247103066.png

Those frames weren't changed much over the years. The serial number will give you the year, it is lightly stamped on the left rear dropout by the rear axle. The first letter and numbers will ID the year.

I’ll almost bet they are. I got them home last night after dark, unloaded them, took a few pics, posted the thread and went in the house to clean up and hit the bed. I’ll try and look them over better tonight .

love the frame of the Columbia Newsboy Special.
...not a straight bar, not quite a normal cantilever.

That's a perfect example of the difference between boys and girls. The girl's bike is original and in good condition. No scuffs on the seat, it was never thrown down when done riding. Even has the original plastic basket. From the 60's.
The boy's has mismatched rims, replacement seat, and a bent fork. Fenders and chain guard gone too. But it's a keeper, as Kingfish said, a Newsboy Special. Looks like good tires. I had a 55 frame that I sold and later became a build here, the Pepperbox Special several years back by Missing Link.
View attachment 179708
Those frames weren't changed much over the years. The serial number will give you the year, it is lightly stamped on the left rear dropout by the rear axle. The first letter and numbers will ID the year.
Here’s a pic of the serial number
D9309585-E511-4128-A1A3-D2B3E2295B7B.jpeg

I believe the 40's bikes had the number on the bottom bracket, but I looked for some info and some websites I used for reference are gone now. Mr. Columbia was the best site for info on these.

Latest posts

Back