Beach Picnic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, ever since I started cruising around this site, I thought about how much I'd love to build something and maybe even do it in a build off. No joke, the day I took apart a $20 Craigslist find was May 1st! So, as I posted in my intro not too long ago, my wife recently gave me the thumbs up to start putting some time and a little money into bikes so on the suggestion of some of you guys, I thought my first build would be for her. It's a surprise, so hopefully it pans out!

I'm going for a theme much like the Felt cruiser "Picnic" with a few mods and some personal touches, but that's my inspiration. We were at a Swap a month ago and a LBS was representing some cruisers and they had the "Picnic" there. Well, my wife saw it and loved it! She already loves her Electra Twiggy, but really liked the cherry red of the Felt. So, as opposed to parting with $400, I thought, "Hey, I could replicate a similar look and add some more style here and there for less than half the price!"

So, here goes! Since I heard about the new Build Off a day late, I had already taken the bike apart some, but here's the frame, fork, seat and wheels. As of these pics, the bottom end, headset and other parts are sitting in a mineral bath and the handlebars and grips are on my shop bench. This thing is one of the greasiest bikes I've ever laid eyes on and some nasty paint and scratches. Hope it turns out good a couple months from now! Thanks for looking... Good luck to all of us!

P4190134.jpg

P4190136.jpg

P4190135.jpg

Re: Beach Picnic (finally some good progress!)

Well, over the course of a month I got to work on the Picnic about 3 days! Sucks, but my wife is pregnant with our first and it's been a doozy of a pregnancy... In any case, I finally started my "teacher summer" and here's the first three days of it!

First off, the naked wheels and parts... I've never gone this far into a tear down, so I need to learn to lace wheels and put this all back in! It is nice a shiny, so it'll be worth it!
P6150140.jpg

P6150141.jpg

Sanded, degreased and ready for paint!
P6150139.jpg

I used Montana Spray paint. White undercoat then decal/stencil application with an Intense Red top coat. Turned out looking alright...
P6170153.jpg

P6170150.jpg

P6170152.jpg

P6170145.jpg

Some of my "art"! It's tricky cutting out these flowers!
P6170148.jpg

Chain Guard before I took off a stencil... no pics of the final look on it yet!
P6170146.jpg

The wheels have two coats of white on them and I plan on taping off a checker pattern for a picnic table cloth look. It turned out great on the fender, but that was a whopping 3 stencils: the wheels are 70 each! Yikes... what have I done?!?!?
P6170142.jpg

Headin' out of town for cooler weather in Flag, but I'll be back on Monday in a garage that's approaching 105 degrees... blah!

Looks nice and clean so far. We just picked up a Twiggy for my wife. She's been really happy with the bike.

Thanks Stretch! That's a way faster way than my current plan... hopefully mine will show up half as nice! :| Thanks again...

Beach Picnic Pic update 6/26

Well, finally done the base paint now all I need is the clear coat. Got the wheels done and I love how they turned out! I had to cut all my checkers myself out of old stickers I had in my collection... painstaking, but hey, the finished product is pretty sweet!

The checkers:
P6250134.jpg

On the wheel (undercoat is the white, and I sprayed red over the top...)
P6250127.jpg

P6250128.jpg

Peel them away and voila!

P6250131.jpg

P6250132.jpg

P6250133.jpg

And then some spoke cleaning and painting (just the nipples...) red and white...

P6250129.jpg

P6250130.jpg

Well, now it's just time to study RatRod's wheel truing post! Yikes... I'm a little nervous! I'm off to Canada to visit the Homeland for a week, so with all of 3 weeks to spare, I'll return to finish!

You big jerk! I know you have more progress done! Get your pictures up so that I have something to do while I am at work!

Latest posts

Back