beachin cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to move this from the build section to here. Yes I did start before May 1st., but have not been able to work on it till now. If you want to disqualify me for the million dollar grand prize so be it. The inspiration for the build is to build a bike that I can ride to the beach carry a cooler and chair, this was to convince my wife to let me spend hundreds of dollars on bikes and parts.

Columbia frame, not sure of the year
CIMG0134.jpg

Decided to give it a more rust appearance
CIMG0158.jpg

Restored a old springer seat, (probably my favorite accessory)
CIMG0161.jpg

Decided to take an old set of rims and paint them, if I like how they turn out My winter project will be to buid a new set with Nexus hub and quick realease front. What I will be working with
CIMG0190.jpg

MY weekend project will be to paint spokes and hubs black and white rims, hopefully a black pinstripe and either whitewalls or an all white tire

oh no outlaw? going soft on us? just kidding nice build that seat is the bee's knees :mrgreen:

karfer67 said:
oh no outlaw? going soft on us? just kidding nice build that seat is the bee's knees :mrgreen:
Thanks, I want to do one in an ostrich skin for another bike, I think it might go well with a gumwall tire.

karfer67 said:
oh no outlaw? going soft on us? :mrgreen:

He's a "Lady" bike builder now.......He's allowed to have mood swings.

Ken......That seat is KILLER!

I will have to post pix later, got the wheels painted all black, and I can definitely see an all black wheel with a white tire in my future. Hopefully paint will dry enough so that I can tape a stripe off before painting the rims white. But for these I think whitewalls will do, or maybe a red tire.
I would really love to have a monark fork for this but after reading the thread on the repops I won't spend the money on one of those. If someone would like to sell one I would be more than interested. Instead I will be making a set of truss rods, with a little different twist to them.
As for the beer carrier, to fit with the beach theme, I was going to make a miniature surf board as a rear rack, but I found some thing that might be more useful. Pix coming soon

yep, i have mood swings now. i am building a Lady's bike but it's a bad az Lady Rat bike, be carefull what you say about it, there is the Lady's pack ya little boys have to worry about.lol

dude, nice bike, i like the way it's coming along

Outlaw

You stole my seat!!!!!!!! :cry: I was looking at seats today for my NEXT project, it will be gator too. Dean
100_0114.jpg

Painted spokes and hubs black still need to paint rims white,installed newer fork

CIMG0226.jpg

Mounted old whitewalls for mock up

CIMG0229.jpg

Need to install 3 piece crank, and make and install truss rods next

Big Fat Whitewalls said:
You stole my seat!!!!!!!! I was looking at seats today for my NEXT project, it will be gator too. Dean

I think Yall both stole my seat :wink: But who's counting

bestsofar002.jpg

It has been a while since I have had time to work on this and with the deadline nearing so I figured I should get a move on.
I have alot of respect for you guys who crank out a bike every other week.

CIMG0359.jpg

This is my crankset, polished enough for this bike. I always see the crankset on a bike the way I see custom wheels on a car, It can make an ugly bike look good. Was going to use this on a fixie but like look of it on this bike, pedals came off a mountain bike I found.

CIMG0358.jpg

CIMG0357.jpg

These will be my truss rods, I wanted something to match the hairpin springer on the seat. Took brake line and bent it around a broom stick.

CIMG0361.jpg

This will be used in place of the headbadge.

CIMG0356.jpg

I bought this off ebay a while back but the kids made me wait til after we got back from Hilton Head before I chopped it up for the build. This will be the rear rack. I will cut it down so it is not so big but will still look like a skimboard.

I ordered some tires this weekend and need to finish painting the rims white this week and get them back on the bike.

All you procrastinators!!
Didn't get the chance to comment on this bike in the finished section, so here goes:

Cool bike. When I see a rack, I don't only see JUST a rack. I see picknick groceries, a six-pack, and one heck of a good time. This one has definately got the spirit of the mighty ratrod. And yeah, that sprocket looks awesome. Hi Tec can be really cool sometimes. Even on a rat.

Well done!

Thanks to everyone on there comments, best comment I got was from my wife when she saw the bike for the first time and smiled and said the rack will hold a lot of beer!!

Latest posts

Back