Behind the Eight Ball (Name Change)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well once again I am going to throw my hat in the ring, maybe I will finish for once.
The frame is a black Schwinn, year unknown, found by the railroad tracks with only a bent fork.
Since then, it has been a fixed gear cruiser;
P1000775.jpg

P1000777.jpg

A 6 speed XtraCycle cargo bike;
P1010291.jpg

P1010292.jpg

A homemade fixed gear cargo bike, yes that is a ironing board;
IMG00094.jpg

IMG00093.jpg

And the latest incarnation was a Klunker using the parts off a coworker's mountain bike;
IMG00307.jpg

IMG00313.jpg

Re: Tank

I want to bring the bike back to it's urban warrior, fixed gear roots.
I would also like a front disc brake, because I like torturing myself.
I was planing on using a disc brake wheel I have until I realized that it uses a four bolt brake disc, crap! :x
Plan B, use the front mag wheel from my Xtracycle. I want the strength in the rear of the cargo bike, the front can be used here, and it takes 6 bolt disc brakes! :p
IMG00731.jpg

Looks interesting, but the wheel won't turn.... :x
IMG00732.jpg

OK, interference with the bolt heads, I can find a new fork in my stash.
Otherwise, 48/16 ratio, high pressure armored street tires, this looks like it will roll through walls!
Just what I like.

New fork, 9 inch disc brake! :shock:
IMG00734.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to make that brake work.......

Look at what came in the mail Tuesday!
Did a quick lunch run home to see how it looks.
On the stand;
IMG00737.jpg

and on the ground.
IMG00741.jpg

Maybe US Choppers should sponsor this build....

Great to see a bike go through so many incarnations. Digging the parts setup.

nice fixie! :D like the wheel setup.

They said it couldn't be done!
They said it shouldn't be done!
I'll show them, I'll show them all, Bwah Ha Ha!!!

Ahem, excuse me.
My attempt to use a 1 1/8th inch steer tube suspension fork in a cruiser frame meant for a 1 inch steer tube fork.
Drive side;
IMG00757.jpg

Brake side;
IMG00759.jpg

3/4 view;
IMG00758.jpg

After all that work, I need to see if I want to keep it.
Looks good though...

Thanks.
I have seen them on ebay from Taiwan as well.
They weren't originally orange, but red. By the time I got them, they had faded to orange.

moleman said:
New fork, 9 inch disc brake! :shock:
IMG00734.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to make that brake work.......

Oh My...

Where in the world did you find a 9" brake disc? That thing looks massive on there. The largest brake discs that I have been able to find are 203mm (8") and with a 70lb wheel on my bike I need the largest diameter possible.

But in other news. Your bike looks really cool so far, I can't wait to see how it turns out when it's done.

Where in the world did you find a 9" brake disc? That thing looks massive on there. The largest brake discs that I have been able to find are 203mm (8") and with a 70lb wheel on my bike I need the largest diameter possible.

I found it on EEEEEEEE-BAAAAYYYY!!

Ahem, it's a Hayes disc brake, and it came with an adapter to extend an eight inch caliper mount juuuusst a little bit farther.
I was the only bidder, and it looks like I will have to fab up a custom brake mount so I can use it.
Like I said, I like torturing myself...sigh.

deorman said:
bighit said:
...it does look cool on your bike.

Hey, that's a benefit! :mrgreen:

Lol!

I guess I'll just have to continue to keep an eye out on eBay because that is where I have been looking anyway.

Oh and maybe for a normal (relatively speaking of course) bike it wouldn't make much of a difference but I'm sure for my bike there would still be noticeable between an 8 and 9 inch discs though.

Sorry about the wait, can't work on bikes all the time, unfortunately.
Well I test rode the suspension fork, and it made a fine bike awful. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
I don't have the fab chops, or time, that others have, but I do have friends that do!
The guys at Shorty Fatz (http://shortyfatz.com/) welded up a disc brake tab on the old fork.
IMG00764.jpg

IMG00765.jpg

After dinner I slapped it all together, sorry for the low light cell phone pics.
IMG00767.jpg

IMG00766.jpg

I like it!
I can do stoppies and skid the front wheel easy!
Hmmm, what details next?

Rode the tank to work. Aside from some tuning, no problems. I think I need a lower gear, and I think this bike is asking to do power slides, so a coaster brake may be in order.
Anyway, I took some better cell phone pics.
Drive side;
IMG00771.jpg

Brake side;
IMG00773.jpg

Latest posts

Back