RRBBO13 BeltMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I asked my future son in law what he would like for a wedding present.
'One of your bike builds' he replied.
He really likes some of the BMX Cruiser styles I've been working on lately.
So I've been combing the online marketplaces and today came across something I would like for myself, so that's a pretty fair indication he will like it too.

These are the pics from the for sale page:

before2.jpg

before1.jpg

We're starting with a POLYGON PATH I7 29" in average condition.

Most of the fasteners and a lot of components have rusted and the frame has some scratches and wear and tear, but I've wanted a belt drive bike for ages and it has a nice Nexus 7 speed freewheel hub and the wheels are in good order - so are the top and bottom brackets - so it's going to get refurbished with the BMX Cruiser treatment. He's tall so something cool and very ride-able will be the main goals.

Got it home and started stripping it down and sanding some of the worst scratches

3.jpg

I already have quite a lot of parts from take-offs on other bikes in stock. SE Big Honkin' Bars, fluted seat post, bear traps and some braided cable. Lots of the little touches like valve caps and cable joiners are in stock already too.

5.jpg

I was going to put those SE Gumwalls tyres over the back on it, but they won't clear the chainstays - it's really narrow near the BB - so 700x35c rubber it is.

4.jpg

I got as far as I could with what's in stock and went inside and sat down and used my Ph.D in ebay to order what I need.

So far:

7.jpg

then went back out to the garage and got busy polishing up the pedals so they go with what will be a chrome/polished and black finish. They were powder coated silver-grey.

6.jpg

Not a bad start. I'll keep tinkering and polishing bits till more parts get here.

That reminds me of Trek Soho S.
Love the beartraps.

Sounds cool. I have sold those belt drive bikes in the past, Trek District and Spot brand and the test rides were always a treat. Quiet, efficient, and the cool factor is very high! :wink1:

Looking forward to how you customize this one!

Almost every bike I look at, I mentally BMX it...so, this build is right up my alley :thumbsup:

I also love the nexus 7...I have three bikes with one currently, and they are some of my favorite riders. I also have a son-in-law bike to build...I'm starting with an old varsity, however, and I'm about 2 years behind schedule :grin:.

Will be watching this one!
Jason

Classy

I love it when a plan comes together. This thing rides so nicely I'm beginning to regret that I'm giving it away ... not really, but then ....
Still a few more bits to go. Brooks Saddle, graphic for the race plate, hex skewer for the front wheel.
I'm still undecided about a BMX pad set.
I also have to decide whether to keep the trigger shift or go for a grip shifter. I like how well the Shimano Altus triggers work, but the Revo shifters are more in keeping with the style of the bike. Got time to ponder it anyways.

The braided cables have come up well.

progress.jpg

Not that you need opinions in your build, but... I get what you are saying about the grip shifter looking the part, but I hate grip shifters, I was riding bikes with my son a couple days ago and he has grip shifters on his mountain bike and he complained about accidentally shifting while we were jumping roots because he simply was adjusting his grip. If there is going to be a shifter on the bars, make it effective. Otherwise, you could always "hide" the shifter, such as having a grip shifter on the seat post (suicide shift) for example.

I like the clean 'pad free' look of the frame. That pic above could be your final pic for the judging. The setting, light, and angle is right.

but I hate grip shifters,

Agreed. What *was* I thinking - lol.

After suitable navel gazing I'll stick with the triggers. Aligning the selector cable around the belt pulley on the Nexus 7 is a bit of a fiddly PITA I could do without going through again too.

And I know what you are saying about hiding it, done it on cruisers - but this bike is all about optimising efficiency and ride-ability for a 6'4" guy - as well as creating a BMX Stylez. It's a surpisingly fast and nimble bike - the Nexus has over 300% gear-age and it's a lightweight frame and wheel set. Taking a hand off the bars for gear changes wouldn't be that good.

I like the clean 'pad free' look of the frame. That pic above could be your final pic for the judging. The setting, light, and angle is right.

Yep - I did some mock ups like that B&W pic above. Probably no pad set - unless I find a suitable set real cheap.

And cheers, but there are still a few parts to come before it's finished enough for photos.

Got a bit more done today. It's no radical prize winner, but it's turning out to be a really nice-riding bicycle.

New hex skewer on the front wheel is much cleaner looking than the QR. Fitted the Brooks and got a few of the detail parts fitted.

13.jpg

Brake and gear cable and hardware is all replaced.

14.jpg

Even all the clips and fasteners.
15.jpg

And all the other detail bits

17.jpg

Waiting on some small lights, race plate graphics and a few more detail parts to arrive next.

Latest posts

Back