Best internally geared hub for klunker build?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a "hybrid" klunker around a 1938 schwinn cantilever frame.

To keep the looks as clean as possible, I want to use an internally geared hub with and internal brake (drum, roller or coaster).

What's the best hub in terms of reliability and braking performance?

I'm looking for a minimum 7 speeds.

Thanks!

I suppose you're planning to spread the dropouts quite a bit?

I see you want to run an internal brake... It may behoove you to use rim brakes, under the circumstances....

That being said, the only IGHs that are rated for offroad use are the Rohloff (14 speed; costs well over a grand; will need to run rim brakes or find a way to mount a disc) and the NuVinci N360 (bicycle CVT, costs about $350; can run with rim brakes and can be retrofitted to accept a Shimano rollerbrake.) In both cases, you'll need to spread the rear dropouts about an inch to accept the hub, which might not sound like much, but from a metallurgical perspective it is, especially if you intend to ride offroad.

The IGH guys on bikeforums and mtbr seem to agree that Shimano Alfine 8speeds are bulletproof. Here's a pretty good price on one: http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/shimano-alfine-sg-s501-hub-kit-32h-black You'll face the same issue of having to spread the dropouts from 110 to 135mm. Like I said, Shimano warns riders not to run these offroad, but guys have been doing it anyway with good results, even with crazy low primary drive ratios. (Shimano, Rohloff and SRAM demand at least a 2:1 primary ratio; NuVinci suggests a minimum of 1.8:1...) Thing is, if you buy a new hub, you'll void your warrantee by rolling trails with it. Then again, I've never even tried to warrantee a hub, ever, so I don't know if that's really a factor.

You can find used/NOS Shimano Nexus 7 and 8 hubs in coaster and rollerbrake flavors; from online anecdotes, it seems like trail-riding tends to blow these up. Same thing with the 11speed Alfines, so far, but I suspect they'll improve them as time goes on. Shimano seems to do its IGH R&D by letting customers pay full price to test the wares....

From what I've read, SRAM's IGHs won't live long offroad. They have this new G9 which I haven't heard any feedback on yet, but given SRAM's track record of IGHs turning to guacamole on trails, i'd stay away for now....

This leaves the Sturmey-Archer X-RD8. These are spaced at 132mm, which is a small but noteworthy difference. These have drums; Sturmey doesn't offer a coaster version (but they do make a disc and a FW version...). This hub is weird b/c the lowest gear is also the primary drive, with 7 "overdrive" gears. There's a big jump between 1 and 2, then equally spaced 14% jumps between each gear from 2 thru 7. The 7 to 8 gear is another big jump, and even with a 1:1 direct drive, you'll be pushing about 85" in top gear. The good news is, since it's all OD gears, you can run crazy low ratios on these with far less worry about excessive torque eating up the hub's guts as much as it would with underdrive gears. Early versions of the Sturmey 8speeds were highly unreliable; internet rumours and hearsay suggest that they're much better now. But I'd still be a little pessimistic about the long term reliability. I will say that Sturmey-Archer's drum brakes are awesome, although prolonged braking will cause heat-induced fade, and a whole lot of it.

From a cost/performance/repairability/klunker-authenticity point of view, I'd say go with a 2x5 derailer set up. You'd save some weight, too, although weight weenies don't really build klunkers, do they? (The original guys building "hybrid" Schwinns were, however, very concerned with weight.) But, if you simply must have a 7+speed IGH, I'd suggest a Nexus 8 with the rollerbrake or, better yet, get some canti posts brazed on and run v-brakes with an Alfine 8.

Good luck!

**EDIT** Alfines don't come with Rollerbrakes, but Nexus 8 do....

Last edited:
Wow. Great info!

Yes, I am having a local frame builder spread the drop outs, do some repairs, fill in some iffy areas and do a full custom paint job. I really like the looks of Alan Bonds "millenium cruiser" http://clunkers.net/ab01.jpg -
ab01.jpg
so that's what I'm shooting for. Clean, classic good looks.

Except mine is a cantilever frame.

I havent read good things about the nexus roller brake, though. If possible, I want something I can lock up in tight corners and such. But I understand IGH's arent really meant for this. I've read the SA's blow up. Rohloff is a nice peice of engineering, but a bit beyond what I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Framebuilders by me charge $75/set for canti-posts.... I think that might be worth your while, especially if you're already working with one. And, being that it's comparatively affordable and sanctioned for trail-use by the manufacturer, I think the NuVinci is worth a serious look. No coaster, but it's Shimano roller-compatible. (I agree though; rollers are underpowered for offroad use...)

I love Alan Bonds's site, and I enjoyed his commentary in Billy Savage's Klunkerz movie. The "millennium" klunker appears to have a Nexus 8 hub with the roller brake out back, and a Sturmey-Archer x-fd front. I've got a Worksman I ride trails on with an x-fd; nice piece of equipment, but if I did it again, i'd have laced an xl-fd 2-cross into the same rim.

Framebuilders by me charge $75/set for canti-posts.... I think that might be worth your while, especially if you're already working with one. And, being that it's comparatively affordable and sanctioned for trail-use by the manufacturer, I think the NuVinci is worth a serious look. No coaster, but it's Shimano roller-compatible. (I agree though; rollers are underpowered for offroad use...)

I love Alan Bonds's site, and I enjoyed his commentary in Billy Savage's Klunkerz movie. The "millennium" klunker appears to have a Nexus 8 hub with the roller brake out back, and a Sturmey-Archer x-fd front. I've got a Worksman I ride trails on with an x-fd; nice piece of equipment, but if I did it again, i'd have laced an xl-fd 2-cross into the same rim.
I have the XL-FD on order - along with a set of silver rhyno lites.

The nuvinci looks like a great hub -with great technology - but I just don't think it would look right on a clunker. It's freeking huge.

I think I will go with the Nexus 8 roller brake. My bike shop buddies agree that this is a good hub.

Appreciate all your help. Once the bike is back from paint, I'll post some progress pics.

Last edited:
The Nuvinci is only another 15mm more huge at the flange than the n360.... and, let's face it: any modern IGH will look sorta out of place on a klunker.

I will sAY that the NuVinci is crazy-heavy. I test rode a bike with one, and could feel the weight out back, like an anchor. But shifting was smooth and pretty awesome. I wanna build a Monocog frame with a Nuvinci n360.

But yeah, you won't go wrong with the Nexus 8. Most important thing: have fun!

The Nuvinci is only another 15mm more huge at the flange than the n360.... and, let's face it: any modern IGH will look sorta out of place on a klunker.

I will sAY that the NuVinci is crazy-heavy. I test rode a bike with one, and could feel the weight out back, like an anchor. But shifting was smooth and pretty awesome. I wanna build a Monocog frame with a Nuvinci n360.

But yeah, you won't go wrong with the Nexus 8. Most important thing: have fun!
Aaaand, I just found the thread about putting a skip tooth cog on a modern hub.

This would allow me to run my (newly re-chromed) sweetheart cranks and chainring on the new drive train.

This build just keeps getting crazier.

Latest posts

Back