Best way to remove BB cups?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best way? Any favorite tricks?
I've actually used a screwdriver and mallet to do this.. I'm sure there's a better way.

I also hammer them out, but use something heavier than a screwdriver. Also more of a blunt striking surface. I have a section of 5/8ths steel rod leftover from making seat posts that works great to knock out cups on the headtube also. As long as you don't damage the race it should be fine.
cup tool.JPG

I also hammer them out, but use something heavier than a screwdriver. Also more of a blunt striking surface. I have a section of 5/8ths steel rod leftover from making seat posts that works great to knock out cups on the headtube also. As long as you don't damage the race it should be fine.
View attachment 153475
Almost the exact same but I now use a brass rod

Well you can make a dedicated tool out of a piece of pipe. You need it to be a little less in diameter than the BB. Then cut one end in a cross pattern, maybe four inches, this will make the ends spread a little so they will rest against the BB cup and when you hit with the mallet the force will be distributed evenly.

Well you can make a dedicated tool out of a piece of pipe. You need it to be a little less in diameter than the BB. Then cut one end in a cross pattern, maybe four inches, this will make the ends spread a little so they will rest against the BB cup and when you hit with the mallet the force will be distributed evenly.

Just adding a photo. This tool is intended for headsets, but the same concept applies to bottom bracket cups.

31sky9YDGvL._AC_.jpg

Exactly.
I must admit I had to do this procedure only three times so far, so I simply used a large flathead screwdriver that I positioned on the BB cup and NOT between the cup and the BB housing.
The first time I used a rubber mallet, out of fear I might damage the frame. It took me half an hour and half a gallon of sweat to realize that I need to use a regular steel hammer.

Just adding a photo. This tool is intended for headsets, but the same concept applies to bottom bracket cups.

31sky9YDGvL._AC_.jpg
That is almost EXACTLY what the homemade version is. Just adds the plastic tip and a logo. I'll stick with my ghetto fab model for now

Me too--I only added it for the visual. My own bohemian version was made from a discarded flat bar. Throw-away kiddie frames might be a good source of raw material, too.

F5238576-4CD5-4754-9C85-AAE8E91BB702.jpeg

Here's where i left off. I kept going with the hammer even after chipping the pvc. I've removed these from 2 other bikes with no trouble. I hate to use the screwdriver on this one.

Made my first progress with this today. Got one cup out! I went through 3 pieces of pvc in the process. Now I'm soaking the other side.
Thanks chainmaker for the 2"x4" tip.

Glens bicycle repair manual, the old bike repair bible, from the 60s - 70s used a punch and hammer. I don’t think all these fancy tools were around then. Good enough for Glen, good enough for me.

Yeah, removing steel American style cups is not really something to overthink. I have no time for kid gloves, special tools, or excessive ingenuity. ;)

Latest posts

Back