Best way to remove spray paint from a frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I've researched and found where oven cleaner was recommended to remove house paint because it would (should?) not touch the original paint. But will oven cleaner be strong enough for old rattle can? That's what I'm assuming is on my frame. Are there any other recommendations?

If you can find it locally, Zep graphitti remover should work. But I'd test it inside the dropout first.

Used oven cleaner before unsure how to describe it's effects - it will remove rattle can paint but has taken down to bare metal - I don't know if there was original paint underneath or not.
Before:
index.php

After:
index.php

Most paint removers will attack spray paint and house paint quicker than the original paint. One method I've used is to do one small area at a time. Wipe on paint remover with one rag, and once the paint starts to wrinkle quickly wipe off with a wet rag. This way it doesn't have time to affect the bottom coat of paint. All paints are different though. Thin metallics over a silver base coat for example seem to remove easier than a solid color. You also need to be extra careful around darts, pinstripes etc which are painted over the base coat. As usual, test in a discreet area first to see how it works.

Gasoline and really fine still wool, works wonders for me.

Latest posts

Back