Bianchi Nyala chain skipping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The smallest sprocket has 11 teeth and the largest sprocket has 28 teeth. I'll make a new video when I get the chance. The cassette has 7 sprockets. The old chain had 105 links and the new chain had 116 links and I removed 11 to get 105 links on the new chain.

Attachments

• BianchiSprockets.JPG
    BianchiSprockets.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 64
  • BianchiSprockets2.JPG
    BianchiSprockets2.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 60
That cluster does look a little clapped out, especially in the spaces between its teeth. Notice on the new examples how the teeth look more like the blade of a screwdriver--yours are more 'pointed.' I think either of the 28T cassettes would be a direct replacement for what you now have. The 32T one, because its circumference is larger, might need a few links returned to the chain to accommodate the extra size.

Removal and installation of a cassette requires a tool like this one (Park FR-5) to engage the internal splines of the lockring that secures it.
shopping

It's also common to use a tool called a chainwhip to immobilize the clutch action during removal. These two tools together make the task a breeze, but are also tools you are unlikely to use very frequently. Perhaps the bike shop will loosen it for you if you ask nicely?

The chain came in the mail today and I put it on the bike. It doesn't skip on the lower 2 or 3 speeds, but skips on the higher speeds. The highest speed isn't that bad, though. Maybe it needs a new cassette. I never changed a cassette before.
Whenever your chain is worn and stretched you need to automatically replace the chain and cog set. That’s what bike shops do. If the chain is stretched and you only replace it then the cogs will slip, even if it didn’t before the chain was replaced.

uh. more like 1/2". Aren't you supposed to measure 24 links = 12" when new.
Lotsa cool info here, https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-wear.html

But quick takeaway is hang chain so it is under tension. The 24 links will have stretched... if less or equal to 1/16 replace chain but over 1/16" to 1/8" it is up to you and over 1/8" you are supposed to replace the cogs and chain.

I put a bigger basket on my Trek MultiTRACK 700 and have been using it for shopping and dumpster diving while waiting on the bike parts and tools for the Bianchi.

Attachments

• TrekMultitrack700.JPG
    TrekMultitrack700.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 38
I got the tools and cassette recently. The lock ring remover fits the lock ring. I had an old wheel in the attic that was on the Bianchi years ago and was replaced when the mechanism in the wheel went bad. This was done at the same store with a different bike mechanic who didn't tell me I needed to replace everything on the bike. I took some pictures which are attached. In one of them you can see the new cassette on the old wheel. I'll put the cassette on the wheel that's on the Bianchi now when I get a chance. Other pictures are of the cassette pieces, hub without sprockets on the wheel and the side of the lock ring showing the threads on it. The grooves on the hub have a pattern to them and you have to turn the cassette to the right position to get it to go on the hub.

Attachments

• cassette-wheel.JPG
    cassette-wheel.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 39
  • SunRaceCassette.JPG
    SunRaceCassette.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 33
  • oldhub.JPG
    oldhub.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 34
  • ringthreads.JPG
    ringthreads.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 31
...an old wheel in the attic that was on the Bianchi years ago and was replaced when the mechanism in the wheel went bad.
As if the story couldn't get any more complex, the original freehub body that malfunctioned could have been replaced in minutes. It was not necessary to swap the entire wheel.

From what I can remember, the bike mechanic said he couldn't remove the hub so he decided I had to have a new wheel.

Chain and the rear sprocket which you show on the pictures and videos are wisible worn out. This my be reason why the chain skips, in that situation you must replace chain and the rear sprocket together. Try to figured out how it is skipping, it is skipping on the one ring of the sprocket or its jumping between gears, if its jumping on one sprocket than chain and the casset to replace, if it skipping between gears than your gear hanger may be bend or twist and the rear mech didnt lead chain strait onto the sprocket.

Latest posts

Back