Bicycle Photography

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jasper87 said:
HDR is a cool technique, but I feel it has to be used in moderation and with a discreet touch... Like seasoning on a nice meal, its real easy to add too much salt :lol: To get the best results I usually bracket at least 3 shots and combine them in the HDR software. You should try playing with maps and levels too... lots of fun (for a photo geek :oops: ) and worlds of possibilities! And I cant stress what a difference a good lens makes i.e. prime f/2.8 or lower.
I really like the flower planter bike pic tho, its got a cool ethereal water color feel to it.
Cheers.

Well it's good to hear somone agrees a good lens is important. Skill is equally as important of course..but a cheap lens usually wont get you much in the end. I agree about the HDR usage. As I said..I mess with it to make fun photos. It seems all the magazines like Backpacker have dicovered it and their photos in there have become a bit cartoonish.

I noticed ;ast night all my photos really suck..Was thinking about it today..This is a good thread,Wow. good pics make such a difference!!

Leslley Scotte said:
I'd love ya'll to pick my photos apart, show me what I could work on.

50mm1.8 @ 1.8 Lightroom, This bike is getting reshot Tuesday, im not a fan of the super shallow DoF.

WFchaingaurd-smWM by Scotte Photography, on Flickr

why would anyone do that??? Hopefully everyone here would be some what nice..there is nothing wrong with your photos..they are really cool shots.

As a person that has their work in the public eye and since this is a photo thread, I want critisism. Good or bad, I enjoy seeing what others see in my photos. I see my shots diferently than others do, its great to have a different prespective. Thank you by the way. I do like yours too. I dont take critisim negatively, especially after I ask for it. It helps me better myself; how can that be a bad thing?

I think your photos are very nice.. I shoot with an 850 sony .. and I get crap about the camera does not do video ..
I take tictures .. not video .. why would I care... anyway .. you can get great shots with any lens.. any camera if you know
your way around the gear.. if i shoot bike i like to use an nex 5 sony .. and if I am trying to have fun I shoot with
an A1 or an F3 the only thing I would say like on the tank photo .. your tag dominates the bottom of the photo .. I dont
tag my work ... but then I dont show.. or sell it I have .. but would rather just look at it .. save it...

Hi Henry, Thank you. Post some of yours!! Id love to see them, We'd all love to see them. I admit, the WM is huge in these. They are proofs, the final image will either have no WM, which is an extra charge to print without it or a small indescrete WM in the corner that doesnt distract form the image. My early shots like the green car above were some of the first 'gig' shots I took and porcessed. I didnt even think to WM them and they were stolen and used many places across the web without permission, that one gig had 50 cars to shoot in 3 nights. and most were used enough that a publisher didnt want to do a book. He had seen them before online. If he had seen them, everyone had seen them which meant no book. I was a beginner and was taken big time. They were popular and no WM to save them.

Id do an equipment list, but will NOT bore you with that. Main gear: 2 Nikon D90, 14/2.8, 50/1.8, 24-70/2.8, 300mm/4.5H(manual) and the 18-105 kit lens, I'll say this is a great great copy of this kit lens, it's super sharp(comperable to the 24-70. It won me a 50$ bet about how sharp it was DURING a shoot!), I'll post the image it took below. My friend after we shot the exact same image with HIS 24-70, they were both at 35, he couldnt tell which one was his. HE WAS PISSED, im mean he was mad. I digress here is the shot with the kit lens, it made it in to the magazine. Click and expand it to see it full size, the website is compressing it badly.

engine by Scotte Photography, on Flickr

Leslley Scotte said:
As a person that has their work in the public eye and since this is a photo thread, I want critisism. Good or bad, I enjoy seeing what others see in my photos. I see my shots diferently than others do, its great to have a different prespective. Thank you by the way. I do like yours too. I dont take critisim negatively, especially after I ask for it. It helps me better myself; how can that be a bad thing?

I noticed the blurry part of your signature messes with my eyes.....Other than that your pics looks really really nice to me...

Right on, Im not a fan of it either to be honest. ill replace these with the new ones and see what you think...in a few days! Thanks!

I gota be really in the mood to take a bike pic,and then i just edit it on free picture editing programs,I do really good landscape picture editing but bikes to me I find hard because I dont bother taking a bike to a good background location,maybe I should start doing it,heres a pic for my lowrider club
285128_114664658628851_100002559537734_107449_660979_n_zps82266dab.jpg

Houndog said:
Leslley Scotte said:

I noticed the blurry part of your signature messes with my eyes.....Other than that your pics looks really really nice to me...

Actually i like the signature on those photos. It's definitely effective at forcing your eyes to recognize the name and it seems to make the impression more memorable.

Leslley, your shots are quite amazing to say the least. My wife works mostly in portraits and people, but i showed her many of your shots and she is quite taken. It has inspired her to really begin investigating lighting and the use of atypical light sources and generally getting out of the box.

Thank for the input yall! The blurry logo I do think brings attention like you said Captain Awesome which I like, but I dont like the way it looks on alot of a the images. Its to tall and wide for my long term liking. Plus the blurry part, im not falling in love with it. I have been playing around with a few simple Wm's ill post later.

Captian Awesome, Thank you and your wife for the compliments. I have worked pretty hard AND had some great photographers in my past have that helped me learn this style of lighting and lighting in general. Im SO HAPPY that my work has inspired someone to learn more and move forward! That one sentance makes it all worth it!! YAY!

Leslley Scotte said:
Thank for the input yall! The blurry logo I do think brings attention like you said Captain Awesome which I like, but I dont like the way it looks on alot of a the images. Its to tall and wide for my long term liking. Plus the blurry part, im not falling in love with it. I have been playing around with a few simple Wm's ill post later.

Captian Awesome, Thank you and your wife for the compliments. I have worked pretty hard AND had some great photographers in my past have that helped me learn this style of lighting and lighting in general. Im SO HAPPY that my work has inspired someone to learn more and move forward! That one sentance makes it all worth it!! YAY!

It's always nice to hear someone is either inspired or moved by photos you take. I do mostly Nature and Wildlife phtoos..and being in the momnet shooting those photos makes it all worth more when others see it and go WOW..you took that. YUP..I took that and i was lucky enough to see it in person. So creating for Photographers is our way of showing others what we see in our heads and what others see in our photos. Kinda cool when it all comes together. GREAT photos Leslley

So this is kinda bike related...as i was shooting photos of this big guy saturday...i thought..WOW..what a cool set of rams horns handle bars this guy has..ha ha ..he was a monster and none too happy with me intruding on his lady's

IMG_0976_zps1c617299.jpg

Latest posts

Back