Big Ripper for the fleet.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw a great price online for a new SE Racing Big Ripper and couldn't help myself.
Placed the order today. I have been coveting one of these for quite a while.
I'll post some pics when it gets here - it's coming from interstate - hopefully mid next week.
I've got some taller bars, a lay-back seat post and a Brooks Saddle already in stock, and then I'll look at other mods over time.
I might even sell the Quadangle ... maybe.

Can't wait.

2021_SE_BIG-RIPPER_BLACK_FRONT_1200x.png copy.png

Last edited:
Preparations have begun!
The standard bars are 7" - and I'm tall enough to need the 10".
From past experience the stock SE seats aren't very comfortable at all. But I have a Brooks B17 that is well comfy and this will be a fair weather bike so leather will work. It just had a coating of the last of the Brooks saddle soap I had in stock too.

preps.jpg

After a fortnight of frustration with transport companies (the times we live in hey) it arrived today.

I had the Cult 10"x30" bars in stock as well as a much nicer LitePro brake lever, and some old school chain tensioners.

I decided to go with the Brooks C19 seat on the lay back post too.

This now fits a big guy really well and is very comfortable.

Assembling it was relatively straightforward although some of the axle nuts were done up by a Gorilla - waaaaay tight and needed the persuader to loosen. The rim tape was also askew on the front wheel and when I inflated the tyre the tube popped on an exposed burr near the join. Re-taped it and all good.

It's really good fun to ride. It's actually nicer than the 29" Quadangle with that bike's super short wheelbase. This is far less twitchy. Better pics to follow.
day1.jpg

I had further issues with what turns out to be a faulty front tyre.

It's not the first time I've had issues with SE branded rubber, so while I wait for the warranty claim to run its course I bought some Maxxis Grifter 29x2.5s.
I've always had a good run with Maxxis Hookworms - and was keen to run these as they are wire bead. (I think the SE Bozacks may have a bead made of cheese.) The Grifters roll really well for balloons. I like the balance of the bike with the fat rubber too. It's upscaled BMX.

So far:
10x30" Cult Bars
Lay Back seat post
Brooks C19 Saddle
Better pedals
Better brake pads (Flybikes)
Gold SE Chain tensioners
Gold stem spacers and other gold bling (in stock from past builds)
Knog mini blinder lighting
Cover buttons and protection throughout.

I have a 34 tooth Profile Imperial front sprocket on the way (Standard is 36) and will add a half-link chain.
And that will be Stage 1 done - all I'm going to do to it - for now.

IMG_5290.jpg

What are you guys using?
Park Tools CT3.3
download (4).jpeg

It is the third breaker I've tried. The first broke on the first chain I opened. The second one was never aligned properly, the pin wouldn't hit the spot on the chain. Then my wife bought me the expensive one. I couldn't believe how much better it was. Worth the price.
Worth noting that it is repairable too, if you bend the pin, it is replaceable
Pin-Replacement-Tighten-Pin.jpg

Park Tools CT3.3
View attachment 201516
It is the third breaker I've tried. The first broke on the first chain I opened. The second one was never aligned properly, the pin wouldn't hit the spot on the chain. Then my wife bought me the expensive one. I couldn't believe how much better it was. Worth the price.
Worth noting that it is repairable too, if you bend the pin, it is replaceable View attachment 201517
Same here

Really cool! Nice personal touches on the bike, enjoy!

Park Tools CT3.3
View attachment 201516
Worth noting that it is repairable too, if you bend the pin, it is replaceable View attachment 201517

That’s the one I wanted but I ended up with the Giant, which is much different than the Park. But the pin comes out and flips over. Essentially you get two pins.

But the pin could fit tighter. Sometimes it wants to stay with the chain.

brbypond.jpg

Pretty happy with this bike now. The weather cleared and I got a half-decent ride in this afternoon.

I'm pleased with the result of going two teeth smaller on the front sprocket - the standard 36 tooth was torquing-out my old man knees. This is a good compromise - three teeth down (33t) would possibly have been better, but my preferred supplier had none that size in stock.

Famous last words, but I don't think I'l do much more to this build unless something breaks or fails.

That's partly because I already upgraded 'everything' on my Quadangle and it was a great learning experience. But on$e is enough.

DSC_6879.jpg

There's nothing else that 'needs' doing to the Ripper 'cept ride it now. SO that's the plan, Stan.

brreaqte.jpg

Last edited:
Well maybe not that extensive - but they are different to ride.

The upgrades to the STR have made it smoother to pedal but because it has a shorter wheelbase it steers quicker when cornering hard. The Cro-mo frame is stiffer than the aluminium alloy on the Ripper. The STR feels 'firmer' with less flex. Stronger feel.

The Ripper is more relaxed and the longer frame is a better size for my 6'5" limbs. Better cruising comfort overall.

The ripper is better at low speeds and taking the dog - although it still gets along fine when I put in. The STR is better for real hard at it and 'abuse'.

View attachment 201596

Pretty happy with this bike now. The weather cleared and I got a half-decent ride in this afternoon.

I'm pleased with the result of going two teeth smaller on the front sprocket - the standard 36 tooth was torquing-out my old man knees. This is a good compromise - three teeth down (33t) would possibly have been better, but my preferred supplier had none that size in stock.

Famous last words, but I don't think I'l do much more to this build unless something breaks or fails.

That's partly because I already upgraded 'everything' on my Quadangle and it was a great learning experience. But on$e is enough.

View attachment 201597

There's nothing else that 'needs' doing to the Ripper 'cept ride it now. SO that's the plan, Stan.

View attachment 201598
You're bike are really nice. I never thought that these bikes would fit me at 6'5" but since you mentioned your height I'm going to look at these bikes as possible off roader/dirt road bikes. I see your seatposts aren't too long and your use of a the bent post opens up the cockpit some.

Latest posts

Back