BUILD CHALLENGE DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could I make a new build challenge. For the same thing someone made a year ago ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm recently building a four wheel tandem with steel frame and wooden body, what turnes it into a velomobile.
DSCF1214s25.jpg

Guess, the metal frame is a K.O. criteria.
But next project will be a similar monocoque body without any metal framework.
Metal will be used only for rear swingarms, front double wishbones, all connections made with ball joints.
The monocoque itself will be build from gaboon plywood with stitch&glue technology.
I'll using epoxy as glue.
Will this count ???

Kai

Last edited:
Anyone interested in a bike challenge? I've been thinking of making a yard art bicycle sculpture of some kind this summer. Thought it would be a good way to introduce my kids to welding.

Last edited:
Anyone interested in a bike challenge? I've been thinking of making a yard art bicycle sculpture of some kind this summer. Thought it would be a good way to introduce my kids to welding.
At the very least you could start a "Show Me Your Yard Art" thread.
I'd like to see some of that...

Carl

How about a build using as starter material something every one can pick up at Goodwill or might find in a dumpster...a couple of ideas..

Huffy Cranbrooks or other box store cruisers Build

Only Girls frames builds (Don't have to end up that way..)

80's 10 speed build

70's- 80's three speed "lightweight" build

That way nobody has to kill the pig just to buy the starting material, and we also get to use those bikes that usually get tossed.

No Felts or other similar modern stuff,no custom made purchased frames, no antique or classic big money bikes, collectible Muscle or BMX bikes, etc. Frame must not be entirely built from scratch, with at least one tube or pair of stays or...?? from the original.

Or for the ultimate challenge...Under 20 inch wheels, must have started life with training wheels build. Gotta end up as an adult bike.

Just thinkin' out loud on a Sunday norning while I try to remember where I put my truck keys..

How about a build using as starter material something every one can pick up at Goodwill or might find in a dumpster...a couple of ideas..

Huffy Cranbrooks or other box store cruisers Build

Only Girls frames builds (Don't have to end up that way..)

80's 10 speed build

70's- 80's three speed "lightweight" build

That way nobody has to kill the pig just to buy the starting material, and we also get to use those bikes that usually get tossed.

No Felts or other similar modern stuff,no custom made purchased frames, no antique or classic big money bikes, collectible Muscle or BMX bikes, etc. Frame must not be entirely built from scratch, with at least one tube or pair of stays or...?? from the original.

Or for the ultimate challenge...Under 20 inch wheels, must have started life with training wheels build. Gotta end up as an adult bike.

Just thinkin' out loud on a Sunday morning while I try to remember where I put my truck keys..
Both ideas are great. I love the kids to adult bike. I have been wanting to do that myself.

Here is an expensive idea. There are people in Ukraine selling Russian military junk. I just bought on line a beat up reversible light from a Russian military truck. looks like a steampunk tin can. One way it’s a tail light, reverse it and it’s a headlight. It’s got a 1950s looking bulb in there. I’m using it for a bicycle tail light. To enter the build off challenge you would have to buy discarded Russian military junk from Ukrainians on line and make a Russia Ukraine tribute bicycle. I don’t know how to get an abandoned and burned Russian bicycle frame. Did the Russian army use any bicycles in the Ukraine war? Destroyed motorcycle headlight, seat and bars would be nice to have for a tribute bike, assuming they used motorcycle. Shipping would be a killer and might take a long time. Buy up busted Russian junk on the net, make a cyber punk bicycle. On second thought there isn’t any cyber stuff from Russia, it’ll have to be steampunk. Is that brilliant or what. Not the bike idea, selling busted Russian junk.

Latest posts

Back