Bike from the Dead's Freshly-Exhumed Finds (Everything I've dug up since 6/15/21)

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes:

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this Sunday, I went to the Springfield, Missouri bicycle swap meet. I was hoping to find parts to fix up all my current project bikes. While I didn't find as much as I had hoped, I still found a decent amount of parts that I could use. Here's what I brought home from Springfield: 1 AMF wheel, 1 AMF thank headlight lens, 1 handlebar, 1 rectangular headlight, 1 rigid fork, 1 Schwinn springer fork, 1 Schwinn feather chain guard, 2 perfectly seasoned seats, and 1 Waverly girl's bike built by The Westfield Manufacturing Company. I spent more than I anticipated at $190 ($164 after factoring in what I sold,) plus a couple trades, but I'm pretty happy with what I got. All these parts are going to help get my project bikes back on the road!
BftD_fffs_2022_1.jpg

Up first is an AMF front wheel I bought for $3. I really needed a rear wheel, but as long as I have the hoop, I can lace it back up with a coaster brake hub.
BftD_fffs_2022_2.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_3.jpg

Next, I got an AMF headlight piece and lens that look to have come off a girl's bike. I don't really need the chrome pice, but that original plastic lens is just what I need for my 1962 AMF-built Western Flyer Sonic Flyer I'm rebuilding. I traded 2 Schwinn feather chain guards for this and a couple other parts.
BftD_fffs_2022_4.jpg

I actually got both the wheel and headlight piece for my Western Flyer I got from my grandpa. I didn't know which wheel was original to the bike at first, but I eventually figured it out. Only the front wheel was correct for the bike, so I'll need to redo this wheel hoop with a coaster brake hub. I might stick with the Komet Super hub that was originally on this bike when I got it, or I'll install a Bendix hub. I'll also want to use that headlight lens in place of the 3D-printed reproduction lens I got some time ago.
BFtD_The_Old_West_before_1.jpg

Next is this Schwinn chain guard that I paid $20 for. I plan to use it on my 1950 Schwinn DX bike, The Schwinn Dixie Dreamcycle, in place of the previous chain guard. That flat spot in the middle is the perfect place for a decal with the name of the bike.
BftD_fffs_2022_5.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_6.jpg

Next is a fork I traded for along with that AMF headlight lens. This will replace the fork that snapped on Schwinn Dixie last year. The steerer tube is about an inch too long, but it'll be easier (and safer) to thread and cut this fork, than to slice and splice a new steerer tube to a busted/shorter fork.
BftD_fffs_2022_11.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_12.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_13.jpg

BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_RRBBO_glory_and_defeat_2.jpg
BftD_Schwinn_Dixie_RRBBO_glory_and_defeat_5.jpg

Next is a handlebar that I traded for along with those other 2 previously mentioned items. I have an idea which bike I'll use it on, but nothing's set in stone just yet.
BftD_fffs_2022_10.jpg

I also found this generator-powered headlight for $5 that I thought would be a nice alternative option for my 2021 MBBO project, The Prowler. Don't know if I'll use it or not, but it's got a good look.
BftD_fffs_2022_7.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_8.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_9.jpg

BftD_prowler_almost_finished_2.jpg

Up next is a part I'm really excited about: an early Schwinn springer fork! I don't know which bike I'll throw this on yet, but it turns out that it came off a bike I traded for at my first bicycle swap meet in Springfield back in 2019! I've long since parted with (and parted out) that bike, but it's funny how I got both the frame and fork on two separate occasions!
BftD_fffs_2022_14.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_15.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_16.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_17.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_18.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_19.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 9.15.51 PM.png

I'm not done yet though! There's still more to come.

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More finds from Springfield!

I bought this cool seat for $35. I want to say it's a Troxel, but it's hard to made out the brand. It's a little rough, but it's still got padding, and I love the character. I'm thinking of installing this on my Black Phantom frame I found earlier this year. I think it'd be a perfect match for the way I want to build this bike.
BftD_fffs_2022_20.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_21.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_22.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_23.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_24.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_25.jpg

BftD_black_phantom_bearings_2.jpg

This seat was one of the last purchases I made before I left the swap meet. It's rough, but for $2, it was perfect! It's still got plenty of padding left in it, nothing's seized on it, and it's got the perfect ratty character! It makes me think of those canvas "desert water bags" I see on some classic cars. I want to say this is a Troxel too, but it's even harder to tell what brand used to be on that circle in the middle of the seat. What's really cool is that I knew just what bike I wanted to use this seat on the moment I saw it!
BftD_fffs_2022_26.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_27.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_28.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_29.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_30.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_31.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_32.jpg

As soon as I got the chance, I mocked it up on the rusty Murray Meteor Flite I bought a few weeks ago. I think it's perfect! I wasn't too sold on the rust at first, but it's amazing how one piece can make a bike! In fact, it got me so pumped that I'm thinking about throwing this bike into the Build Off this year! I just need to figure out what name to give this project...
BftD_fffs_2022_69.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_70.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_71.jpg

Don't go anywhere! There's still one last find to share from Springfield!

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't intend to bring another complete bike home with me from Springfield, but this bike was practically a rolling parts-pack! It's a Waverly bike build by the Westfield Manufacturing Company. I don't know what year it is, but it almost looks like an early postwar bike. The frame's different than other balloon tire Westfield step-thru bikes from the 1950s, but I don't know. I'm not real familiar with these Westfield/Columbia bikes. What I do know however is that I got a great deal on this bike for $50, and I didn't (okay, couldn't; I tried) haggle for it! I mostly got it for that wicked industrial-looking springer fork, but there's plenty of other good part on it beside that. The fenders aren't in too bad of shape, aside from some small dents here and there, the wheels are good, the chainring's cool, I could probably use the handlebars on another build, the seat post is good, one of the tubes still holds air, and even the frame's not too shabby. Heck, after throwing a different front wheel and tire on it, I found the bike even rolls and stops! It really needs a new chain, but it's a rider!
BftD_fffs_2022_33.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_34.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_35.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_36.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_37.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_38.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_39.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_40.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_41.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_42.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_43.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_44.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_45.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_46.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_47.jpg
BftD_fffs_2022_48.jpg

While I'm fairly certain this bike will be parted out for my other rides, I still just had to fiddle around in Photoshop to see what this bike would look like if it was converted to a men's bike. Got to say, I like the possibilities.
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 10.19.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 10.19.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 10.20.09 PM.png

Latest posts