Bike from the Dead's Freshly-Exhumed Finds (Everything I've dug up since 6/15/21)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Literally the very next day, I bought this Murray-built Sears Roebuck Free Spirit MX bike off of one of Dad's friends. It was a spur of the moment decision, but I figured I could flip it or trade it at the upcoming Buddy's Pedal Fest bicycle swap meet and show coming up this weekend. Can't say I know too much about it other than it's missing the front fender and part of the rear, plus a green valve stem cap. Other than that, it seems to be all there, and in surprisingly good shape. I almost want to keep it, but I honestly doubt I'd ever ride this one. It's cool, but it's not really my style.
DSC_5893.jpg
DSC_5899.jpg
DSC_5904.jpg
DSC_5910.jpg
DSC_5913.jpg
DSC_5923.jpg
DSC_5925.jpg
DSC_5930.jpg
DSC_5934.jpg
DSC_5937.jpg
DSC_5944.jpg
DSC_5950.jpg
DSC_5954.jpg
DSC_5958.jpg

But wait! There's more! Only a few days later, on Monday the 6th, I visited my buddy in OKC who posted a bike on Craigslist that I had been itching to get for over 2 years now: a Murray Eliminator/Buzz Bike! $10 and it was mine! Granted, it's rough, but all I cared about was the frame. It's a little bent at the dropouts, but I bet those can be bent back into shape just fine.

Got to say, it's kind of neat to see that this bike had already been customized at some point in its past. Someone extended the forks to give it more of a rake, which is pretty wild. I'm not keeping the fork on there, but I like the idea behind it. It looks like whoever owned it before also took off the original chain guard and took a... I don't know what it's called, but I think it's the disc that sits behind the cassette on a rear wheel, and bolted it to the chain ring! I'll admit, I wish it still had the original chain guard, but again, I like what the previous owner did. I think I'll just have to pay homage to the previous modifications with a few mods of my own... I've already got an idea of where I want to take this bike, but that's for down the road.
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_1.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_2.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_3.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_4.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_5.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_6.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_7.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_8.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_9.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_10.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_11.jpg

We're not done just yet though! Ever since I got that OTASCO Flightliner-style bike, I had been itching to get a rat trap springer fork for it. Well, I saw this one pop on Craigslist not that long ago, located about an hour east of my grandparents, who had also asked me if I wanted a couple bikes they had up at their place. I picked up this one first, since it required the most driving (about 4 hours including breaks.) I paid $75 for it, which may have been too much, but given how many decent parts I could use off of this bike, I'd say it was worth it. I can easily use the fork, wheels, handlebar, at least the front fender, and the rear rack. I'll just sell/trade the rest at the swap meet coming up this weekend. I might keep the frame, given how straight and stylish it is, but I'm not sure just yet.
DSC_6331.jpg
DSC_6337.jpg
DSC_6343.jpg
DSC_6349.jpg
DSC_6353.jpg
DSC_6358.jpg
DSC_6363.jpg
DSC_6368.jpg
DSC_6373.jpg
DSC_6382.jpg
DSC_6389.jpg

Last edited:
That round thing is called a pie plate, used to protect the spokes if the chain goes too far inward on the rear wheel. But it's too large, I think it was something else.

That round thing is called a pie plate, used to protect the spokes if the chain goes too far inward on the rear wheel. But it's too large, I think it was something else.
Okay, I thought I knew what it was called, but I completely forgot. Thanks. Any idea what it might've been? It does seem odd the opening would be as large as it is for a pie plate.

Here's the first of the two bikes I picked up at my grandparents' house. I don't know much about it, other than it's a "General Mountain Shadow" or a "Mountain Shadow General," and it used to be a fully-functional bike just two or three years ago. Can't say I have any real desire to hold onto it, so it's going to the swap meet this Saturday.
DSC_5871.jpg
DSC_5878.jpg
DSC_5882.jpg
DSC_5887.jpg

Here's the other bike I picked up from my grandparents last Wednesday: a 2-speed Schwinn Deluxe Racer, built in October 1967! I'm fully convinced this thing is 99% original, save for maybe the tires and tubes. Part of me wants to keep this bike, as it's still rideable, albeit in need of some maintenance, and it's something from family, not an ad off Craigslist or Marketplace. Truth be told though, as nice of a bike as this is, I can't see myself riding this bike much. I don't know why, but I just never got into these road/track bikes like I did cruisers and muscle bikes. So, as nice as this bike is, I'm thinking I'll be happier if I sell it or trade it for something I really want.
DSC_5966.jpg
DSC_5975.jpg
DSC_5981.jpg
DSC_5986.jpg

The taillight still works, but the headlight doesn't light up now for some reason. My guess is the failing electrical tape on the wire leading to the headlight. I remember applying that a few years ago, as the wire frayed, but I guess it's no longer doing its job. I do remember that headlight still worked last time, though.
DSC_5993.jpg
DSC_5999.jpg
DSC_6005.jpg
DSC_6011.jpg
DSC_6018.jpg
DSC_6024.jpg
DSC_6030.jpg
DSC_6036.jpg
DSC_6046.jpg
DSC_6052.jpg
DSC_6060.jpg
DSC_6066.jpg
DSC_6069.jpg

Small detail, but is that how the bolt holding the chain guard to the frame is supposed to go? I thought it was supposed to be the other way around...
DSC_6078.jpg

In preparation for the Muscle Bike Drag Race happening at Buddy's Pedal Fest this Saturday, I quickly slapped my Murray muscle bike together with some parts I had laying around. I also installed a new chain (it's probably too long, but it's hard to position the rear wheel right as the dropouts are bent out of shape,) some wheels and tires I got with the bikes from my last acquisition, and the handlebars off another bike I had. I also removed the rear fender, as the fender brace was too narrow for the tire to clear, and I raised the seat as high as the sissy bar would allow for a better seating position. I also installed another kickstand, though it keeps coming loose. I took it for a short test ride around the driveway, and while it definitely needs some work, it's good enough to ride for the Muscle Bike Drag Race. Do I stand a good chance of winning? ....No, no I don't think so. But hey, I'm doing this for the fun of it! It's a long drive for me to get there, so I might as well make the most of it!

Sorry for the lackluster pics, but I didn't work on this until it was already getting dark. I'll try shooting some better pics tomorrow.
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_drag_prep_1.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_drag_prep_2.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_drag_prep_3.jpg
BftD_murray_muscle_bike_drag_prep_4.jpg

In preparation for the Muscle Bike Drag Race happening at Buddy's Pedal Fest this Saturday, I quickly slapped my Murray muscle bike together with some parts I had laying around. I also installed a new chain (it's probably too long, but it's hard to position the rear wheel right as the dropouts are bent out of shape,) some wheels and tires I got with the bikes from my last acquisition, and the handlebars off another bike I had. I also removed the rear fender, as the fender brace was too narrow for the tire to clear, and I raised the seat as high as the sissy bar would allow for a better seating position. I also installed another kickstand, though it keeps coming loose. I took it for a short test ride around the driveway, and while it definitely needs some work, it's good enough to ride for the Muscle Bike Drag Race. Do I stand a good chance of winning? ....No, no I don't think so. But hey, I'm doing this for the fun of it! It's a long drive for me to get there, so I might as well make the most of it!

Sorry for the lackluster pics, but I didn't work on this until it was already getting dark. I'll try shooting some better pics tomorrow.
View attachment 173276View attachment 173277View attachment 173278View attachment 173279
If you turn the forks around does it give it an even more raked kook?

Literally the very next day, I bought this Murray-built Sears Roebuck Free Spirit MX bike off of one of Dad's friends. It was a spur of the moment decision, but I figured I could flip it or trade it at the upcoming Buddy's Pedal Fest bicycle swap meet and show coming up this weekend. Can't say I know too much about it other than it's missing the front fender and part of the rear, plus a green valve stem cap. Other than that, it seems to be all there, and in surprisingly good shape. I almost want to keep it, but I honestly doubt I'd ever ride this one. It's cool, but it's not really my style.
View attachment 172924View attachment 172925View attachment 172926View attachment 172927View attachment 172928View attachment 172929View attachment 172930View attachment 172931View attachment 172932View attachment 172933View attachment 172934View attachment 172935View attachment 172936View attachment 172937

Love that caution sticker. This morning I was thinking about challenging my riding buddies to do a klunker build and ride. The caution sticker fit right in!

klunker ride shirt 3.png

If you turn the forks around does it give it an even more raked kook?
Are those the early Stingray bars '63/'64? No stamping at clamp area just fine knurls that sneak out the sides of the stem clamp?
I haven't tested it, but I doubt it will make much of a difference on the forks.

As for the handlebars, I don't know what kind of bike they're from originally. They were on this mysterious old pig bike my dad got with some signs years ago. I could take them off and shoot some better photos of them after this weekend. Would be neat if they were Stingray bars!
BFtD_Mini_Mystery_Muscle_Bike_wheeled_4.jpg
BFtD_Mini_Mystery_Muscle_Bike_wheeled_5.jpg

View attachment 173276View attachment 173277View attachment 173278View attachment 173279
Your picture just transported me back to the 60's when kids would cut the fork blades off a fork and hammer them onto a still good fork to lengthen the whole front end. Instant chopper. I believe with this bike you'll be a drag monster, one way or the other.

Latest posts

Back