Bike from the Dead's Freshly-Exhumed Finds (Everything I've dug up since 6/15/21)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your picture just transported me back to the 60's when kids would cut the fork blades off a fork and hammer them onto a still good fork to lengthen the whole front end. Instant chopper. I believe with this bike you'll be a drag monster, one way or the other.
I wouldn't be surprised if the fork and the chain ring were modified all the way back in the '60s or '70s. I'd seen that mod in photos, but rarely have I seen it in person. Thanks! I'll do my best!

Well, even though I didn't sell or trade for much at Buddy's Pedal Fest this past Saturday, I did score a few items I'd been wanting for a while. Ate up a sizable chunk of my expendable funds, but I think it was worth it.

First, a chain guard for my Murray Eliminator-type muscle bike. I think it says "Lancer" on it, but most of the graphics have worn off. No problem, as I can just put whatever I want on it now. Don't know if I'll use it just yet, but it's a nice part to have. I actually traded a different chain guard for this one.
BftD_pedal_fest_finds_2.jpg
BftD_pedal_fest_finds_3.jpg

Next, a repop 26" Monark springer fork. I plan to put this on the Murray muscle bike, but I might even put it on one of my other projects.
BftD_pedal_fest_finds_1.jpg

Next, a piece I had almost given up ever owning: a Dana 3-Speed Bicycle Transmission! I was stoked to pick up this bad boy at the swap meet! I'm not 100% sure it's complete, but it has the shifter, 2 cables with the ends still attached, and it spins freely. I don't know what bike I'm going to use it on just yet, but I got a Bendix 2-speed kickback coaster brake wheel and 2 3-speed coaster brake hubs I'd love to combine this with! 6 to 9 gears on a single speed chain! Just imagine the insanity of a 9-speed coaster brake bike!
BftD_pedal_fest_finds_4.jpg
BftD_pedal_fest_finds_5.jpg
BftD_pedal_fest_finds_6.jpg
BftD_pedal_fest_finds_7.jpg

Anyone know what that clip thing is for?
BftD_pedal_fest_finds_8.jpg
BftD_pedal_fest_finds_9.jpg

But as sweet as a Dana 3-Speed Bicycle Transmission is, there's one other item I brought home from the swap meet that tops all of that, at least for me anyway. It's actually a bike that, like that Murray muscle bike I bought a while back, is on my "bicycle bucket list" of bikes/ bike frames I want to own, due to its unique frame design. I ended up trading the MX bike plus an additional $125 for this bike, but I feel like it was worth it.

Check it out! It's a Western Flyer Newsboy Special! I knew this style of frame as a Columbia Firebolt, but this isn't a middleweight; it's a heavyweight! I didn't even know they made a balloon tire version of this bike; I just thought they were all middleweights! I don't know what I'm going to do with it just yet, but one thing I know for sure is this bike isn't staying the way it is. I already have a build name for it, but I need to start a build thread for it. This is just a mere sample of all the pictures I shot of it after bringing it home. I took so many that I'm going to need to break it down into a few separate posts in order to share them all.
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_1.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_16.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_28.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_29.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_31.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_36.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_42.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_46.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_48.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_57.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_61.jpg
BftD_BAD_NEWS_Newsboy_Special_as_found_68.jpg

The middleweight Firebolts in that style went from about '61-'66. I think the Newsboy Firebolts was '63.

If you want to area true masterpiece in that style, search for a '64-'65ish Fire Arrow.
You referring to this kind of Fire Arrow? I saw one of these on Marketplace a couple weeks ago.
1632371445159.png

Literally the very next day, I bought this Murray-built Sears Roebuck Free Spirit MX bike off of one of Dad's friends. It was a spur of the moment decision, but I figured I could flip it or trade it at the upcoming Buddy's Pedal Fest bicycle swap meet and show coming up this weekend. Can't say I know too much about it other than it's missing the front fender and part of the rear, plus a green valve stem cap. Other than that, it seems to be all there, and in surprisingly good shape. I almost want to keep it, but I honestly doubt I'd ever ride this one. It's cool, but it's not really my style.
View attachment 172924View attachment 172925View attachment 172926View attachment 172927View attachment 172928View attachment 172929View attachment 172930View attachment 172931View attachment 172932View attachment 172933View attachment 172934View attachment 172935View attachment 172936View attachment 172937
i dont think that that bike ever had a front fender. i might have a complete back fender if you need one

i dont think that that bike ever had a front fender. i might have a complete back fender if you need one
I'm pretty sure it would have had a front fender, based on a few pictures of similar ones I've found online.
1632409553581.png

Thanks for the offer, but I actually traded my MX bike for the Newsboy Special I just got.

Latest posts

Back